News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Körner is mentioned on the Serno reports as leader of FA 1.

He took over the command of the unit in summer (Sep./Oct.) 1915. He was recalled to germany at the beginning of 1917 and died on 23 Jan. 1917 while a reconnaissance fllight.  Olt. Croneiss follow him as Co of FA 1.

Kind regards

Alex

Hptm Koerner.jpg

These are two different people. 

The FAR 52 officer was Heinz Wilhelm Körner.

The Hptm. Körner above who died on 23.1.1917 was Wilhelm Rudolf Martin, *4.11.1885 in Oranienbaum, Anhalt, †23.1.1917 as Führer Flieger-Abteilung A 269. He was from Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 15.  Martin's brother, Helmut, was also a PB 15 officer, although he spelled his name as Koerner.  Helmut was an Oberst in World War II. Their father was Sanitätsrat Dr. Franz Körner in Oranienbaum.

Hi,

the Ehrenrangliste 1914-18 of 1926 lists a Körner as Major a.D. with the FAR 52 with no further info which means that he spent his whole time with this regiment and was given leave after the war. No regimental history seems to be known.

GreyC

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I am guessing that Heinz Körner was also in the Fliegertruppe, because a man with this surname is mentioned at frontflieger.de as being CO of Grufl Sissonne in November 1917.

Edited by Mattyboy

That is my understanding as well. The Ehrenrangliste usually only lists a different unit if you ended the war with that unit. So if he returned to the regiment at the end of the war, any other assignments would not be listed. Frontflieger.de also has Hptm. Körner as Fhr. FA A 201 in November 1917.

Hi Dave & All,

A Hptm Körner was awarded the Hohenzollern as per the Militär-Wochenblatt issue of 18 September 1917. Does the book about this award by Krause/Lundström provide any further details about it?

Edited by Mattyboy

That's Heinz. I was going through my references and notes to see if I could figure out where the information I had on him came from, and it turns out it was me. I had found him in an edition of the Deutsches Geschlechterbuch among several other members of the Körner family. 

Körner, Heinz Wilhelm, *31.12.1882 in Militsch in Schlesien; 21.2.03 als Fahnenjunker in das FAR 52 eingetreten, 16.8.04 Lt., 18.8.12 OLt., 1916 Hptm., Fhr. FA A 201, Maj.a.D.  No other awards were listed in his DGB entry.