News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Does anyone know who this Vizeadmiral might be. Previously I thought he was Wilhelm Souchon but looking at his sleeve insignia, he is clearly a Vizeadmiral and Souchon was an Admiral (promoted in 1918 and this photo was taken in 1936). And also he looks much taller and fatter than Souchon (see 2nd and 3rd photo of Souchon below for comparison).

He also wears the Gallipoli Star, so it might help with the identification.

Thanks.

Unknown Vizeadmiral.png

Souchon1.png

Souchon2.jpg

For a while i tought in Guido von Usedom but he died in 1925. Usedom also was awarded the turkish war medal , the other German Admiral present in Turkey was Vizeadmiral Johannes Merten but he died in 1926 curiously he was recognized by the Ottoman Empire as General der Artillerie . sugerence : Go to : Kategorie Vizeadmiral ( Kaiserliche Marine ) Wikipedia with some luck you can find something

5 hours ago, Bayern said:

For a while i tought in Guido von Usedom but he died in 1925. Usedom also was awarded the turkish war medal , the other German Admiral present in Turkey was Vizeadmiral Johannes Merten but he died in 1926 curiously he was recognized by the Ottoman Empire as General der Artillerie . sugerence : Go to : Kategorie Vizeadmiral ( Kaiserliche Marine ) Wikipedia with some luck you can find something

Thank you, I have the 3 volumes of Deutschlands Admirale with photos inside so I might find something there. The thing is, an Admiral could have been awarded the Gallipoli Star even if he didn't serve in Turkey. Otherwise it would be easy to find a Vizeadmiral that served in Turkey during WW1.