Gentleman's Military Interest Club
medalworld

PORTUGAL "ORDER" Identification needed

Hello All,

I recently acquired this Commander set in a case and request some help please with an accurate attribution if anyone knows for sure. It was purportedly a Portuguese "Order".

It is large, 90mm to top of globe suspension x 40 mm wide, the cross with the same form as an Order of Christ, but in green. It is quite well made of gilt silver. The suspension is an armillary globe, thus it's likely something geographic, perhaps an Order of Geographic Merit from a learned society?

Consists of a neck badge as shown in the photo, with Commander lapel rosette-pin with two gold wings, plus a handsome little miniature and a ribbon bar all in a Cravanzola, Roma, green case of issue with gold imprint of the Order arms on top. I'd say vintage is ca.1940s, +/- a few years.

Can anyone help with an identification please? Many thanks, Frank Draskovic

Portugal unknown green Order obv.jpg

9 hours ago, medalworld said:

all in a Cravanzola, Roma, green case of issue with gold imprint of the Order arms on top. 

May we see a photo of the Order's arms, please, as this may give the heraldically-minded a clue?

This is the gilt imprint on the top of the green Cravanzola case.

Portugal unknown green Order box imprint.jpg

Frank. It is very similar to the order of Aviz, including the ribbon. Given Aviz is a military award could it be awarde to military explorers?

Paul

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,
Yes I have the same commander, Cravanzola also. All the orders I have seen so far were at grade and of the same manufacture. The cross of the order of Christ and the armilar sphere are the traditional symbols of Portugal, but also of Brazil. I never found this order in Portugal, but in Italy and Brazil. I think it is an ephemeral order, similar to that of the Concorde, with its same distribution, in Italy and Brazil (the Italian community is well represented). Italy was very prolix in these ephemeral orders in the immediate aftermath of the war, often a simple declaration at a notary allowed to create a new order of nobility or hereditary.
Only the discovery of a diploma will allow us to put a name on this unknown order.
:rolleyes:

5abbe52b13a80__57Y.thumb.JPG.e7981486f900e8cc17efc259980c5008.JPG5abbe52f7e045__57X.thumb.JPG.3fa0d32d17f544f7be86c73f7bcdf5a8.JPG

Jérôme.

Edited by quivivefrance

6 hours ago, paul wood said:

Frank. It is very similar to the order of Aviz, including the ribbon. Given Aviz is a military award could it be awarde to military explorers?

Paul

Hello Paul,   Nice to hear from you. I hope all is well.

It's a handsome and well made insignia with the pierced globe and crossed batons with little globes at the ends. Wouldn't it be nice if we could name it ourselves? I'd agree with the "Order of Military Exploration", sounds terrific! But our pal quivivfrance has offered another scenario. He could be right, but we still need a firm attribution. Maybe someone will have a document or receipt for one?

Best Wishes, Frank

4 hours ago, quivivefrance said:

Hello everyone,
Yes I have the same commander, Cravanzola also. All the orders I have seen so far were at grade and of the same manufacture. The cross of the order of Christ and the armilar sphere are the traditional symbols of Portugal, but also of Brazil. I never found this order in Portugal, but in Italy and Brazil. I think it is an ephemeral order, similar to that of the Concorde, with its same distribution, in Italy and Brazil (the Italian community is well represented). Italy was very prolix in these ephemeral orders in the immediate aftermath of the war, often a simple declaration at a notary allowed to create a new order of nobility or hereditary.
Only the discovery of a diploma will allow us to put a name on this unknown order.
:rolleyes:

5abbe52b13a80__57Y.thumb.JPG.e7981486f900e8cc17efc259980c5008.JPG5abbe52f7e045__57X.thumb.JPG.3fa0d32d17f544f7be86c73f7bcdf5a8.JPG

Jérôme.

Hello Jerome, Nice to "meet" you. Many thanks for your comments. You are correct, unless someone comes up with a solid attribution, or a document with the insignia, we can only guess at it's origin and name. Speaking of names, you mention Concorde. I don't know it, so I checked the "Self-Styled Orders" index in Burke's, but can't find it there either. What is it please?

Regarding accompanying documents with unknown insignia, I just started another unknown inquiry under Italy. That medal had a transmittal letter in the box, but it does not mention the name of the "Order" ! Please have a look there. Frank D.

Frank D.