News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ITALY "ORDER" Identification needed

Hi Gents:

Along with the unknown "Portuguese" Order we've been chatting about, here is another unknown Commander cased set originating from Italy. It also consists of a neck badge in gilt AE and enamels and includes a miniature and lapel rosette in a plain red fitted case. There are no markings on the insignia and the case is likewise unmarked. There was also, inside the box, a 1949 transmittal letter to the recipient, a Mr. Giulio Fronza of Milan. However, there is no mention of the Order's name in the letter. So here we have a cased medal and a transmittal letter with still no name anywhere in sight!

I've seen this insignia two or three times over the last few decades and someone once told me its name, but I have forgotten. Can someone remind me please if you know it.

Thanks, Frank D.

Italy unknown order obv.jpg

Italy unknown order doct.jpg

After posting the above, I found a hint in Burke's that led me to a website. This is most likely an insignia of the Order of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy. The still vibrant order describes itself at its website as shown below. 2018 is its 800th anniversary.

"The Order of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy is an international community of priests and brothers who live a life of prayer and communal fraternity. In addition to the vows of poverty, chastity and obedience, their members take a special fourth vow to give up their own selves for others whose faith is in danger.

The Order, also called the Mercedarians, or Order of Mercy, was founded in 1218 in Spain by St. Peter Nolasco to redeem Christian captives from their Muslim captors. The Order exists today in 17 countries, including Spain, Italy, Brazil, India, and the United States. In the U.S., its student house is in Philadelphia, and it also has houses in New York, Florida, and Ohio.

Today, friars of the Order of Mercy continue to rescue others from modern types of captivity, such as social, political, and psychological forms. They work in jails, marginal neighborhoods, among addicts, and in hospitals. In the United States, the Order of Mercy gives special emphasis to educational and parish work.

The spiritual and communal life of the friars include prayer, meditation, Holy Mass, recreation, and apostolate. Their life is based on the Rule of St. Augustine and the Constitutions of the Order.

Overall, the Order of Mercy commits itself to give testimony to the same Good News of love and redemption that it has shown since the beginning of its history."

Additional comments and photos of other examples of the insignia are encouraged.