News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Char. Vizeadmiral Karl Bartenbach Unknown Badge Award

• 3 weeks later...

To me, this looks like one of the unofficial 1920s awards. Could be the pinback cross of Frontkriegerbund or Kriegserinnerungszeichen. Of course, these were banned in wear in the Kriegsmarine, but maybe the Admiral (picture must be from 1938/39) didn't care. 

Edited by webr55

Dear fellow collectors

To me the award looked a bit like the Steckkreuz für Treue Dienste from Schaumburg-lippe, the cross 1st class. The arms seem less wide than those of the Iron cross, and we see a small emblem in the center of the cross, which could very well be the capital 'A' on the cross. I will attach some pictures.

Kind regards, Laurentius

image.jpeg.7f2fd50738a53f009b41a7cc2717de40.jpeg

image.jpeg.1f7ad122908dd4b7ac3180890bc92b4a.jpeg

Dear fellow collectors

To me the award looked a bit like the Steckkreuz für Treue Dienste from Schaumburg-lippe, the cross 1st class. The arms seem less wide than those of the Iron cross, and we see a small emblem in the center of the cross, which could very well be the capital 'A' on the cross. I will attach some pictures.

Kind regards, Laurentius

image.jpeg.1f7ad122908dd4b7ac3180890bc92b4a.jpeg

Thank you for your answers guys. What about the Fürstl. Lippisches Kriegsehrenkreuz für Heldenmütige Tat?

The thing is, on the photo of Bartenbach I can't see the Laurel wreath (Lorbeerkranz) that is on the Lippe award?

lippe-detmold012.jpg

No. As I said, the shape does not match. I still think I was right: This is one of the unofficial 1920s pinback crosses, see above. 

Yes, I saw your post, and I do agree with you. It could be one of the unofficial awards.

But you didn't say, is Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse out of the question or also possible? The shape looks similar to me.

When I was trying to ID Bartenbach's medal bar, on another forum a memeber said one of the medals is the Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse. We can't confirm it with the Rangliste because Bartenbach retired in 1920 and wasn't active again until 1934.

So if he recieved the Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse it is also quite possible he recieved the 1.Klasse.

2544-1_600x600.jpg

The 6th medal was identified as the Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse.

After Oldenburg Friedrich August-Kreuz 2. Klasse (partly covered by it) and before Lübeckisches Hanseatenkreuz.

5ab035440dd83_Sinttulo2.jpg.a77089fe6394fff4ea5488595236e191.jpg

5ab0354f60ce8_Sinttulo.jpg.6342cdc15191fbd393364495c1f2d901.jpg

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

Dear fellow collectors

Kind regards, Laurentius

Sorry, but this is not possible. The Schaumburg-Lippe cross od 1st class was only awarded to princely persons (36 pieces awarded). The Braunschweig cross 1st class is most likely here (in my opinion :) )

Again: I believe this is not the Braunschweig KVK1, for two reasons:

- The shape of the arms of the Braunschweig KVK1 does not match.

- The Braunschweig KVK1 is smaller than the EK1, while Bartenbach's award is the same size as the EK.

See the picture below of both awards in wear for comparison.

post-547-1199915922.jpg

dear Webr55

The Brunswick Ernst-August cross 1st class is 41 MM whilst the EK1 is around 42 MM (sizes may differ a bit per maker). So the KVK1 and the EK1 are roughly the same size. It is the cross 2nd class that is 30 MM, the one you are probably thinking of.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Dear Kriegsmarine Admiral

I don't know what it is, it could be a Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreus 1. Klasse. I only meant to say that the argument that there is a size-difference is wrong. I think we need better pictures before we can make a proper judgement.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Edited by laurentius