News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish Nurse Safiye Hüseyin Elbi with TWM

demir

Safiye Hüseyin Elbi (1881 - 1964) 

Her father Ahmet Pasha  was the Navy Atache in London and her mother was Josephine Wilward daughter of Hammond Wilward.

Her grandfather was the captain of the ship who took Florence Nightingale to Crimea during the War. She married Navy Lt. Colonel Hüseyin Elbi. Died in Istanbul in 1964.

She was  voluntery nurse during the Balkan wars and Gallipoli. She was awarded with the Order of Şefkat (The Order of Charity)(on her neck), War Medal (Right) and Red Crescent Medal and German Red Cross Medals (left breast).

http://midwifery.health.ankara.edu.tr/wp-content/

https://twitter.com/OttomanArchive/status/975418073393057792/sites/166/2015/08/SAFİYE-HÜSEYİN-ELBİ.pdf

Demir

Safiye Hüseyin Erbi.jpg

safiye-huseyin-elbi-990x433.png

Edited by demir

Safiye Hüseyin Elbi, a person of sterling integrity and outstanding accomplishment, certainly merited her awards.  Several books and many articles discuss her personal history and contributions as a major influence on and developer of modern Turkish nursing.  She is the only Turkish recipient of the ICRC Florence Nightingale Medal [seen next to her Order of Şefkat] known to me.  She appears to wear a 1911 UK Coronation Medal next to her Nightingale Medal and a British Red Cross Society Balkan War Medal next to her Red Crescent Medal.   She received a Spanish Republic Red Cross decoration neck badge as well.  

Demir, could you kindly comment on or confirm her awards?

Edited by 922F
    spelchek

Hello,

I can only confirm the Turkish awards  which I mentioned, since I don't know red cross awards but in one of the essays about her I found out that she received the Florence Nightingale Medal.

More info: The first Turkish Nurse  by TAHA TOROS : http://earsiv.sehir.edu.tr:8080/xmlui/bitstream/handle/11498/43714/001641145010.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Safiye Hüseyin Elbi (1).jpg

Safiye Hüseyin Elbi (2).jpg

demir,

A great thread on an important person.  I read it with increasing interest and have passed it on to a collegue who collects  awards to nurses.

Regards,

Gordon

:D