News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German participant of Waterloo 1815

The Prussian

Hello!

May I introduce Louis Heinrich Sichart v. Sichartshoff?

Born 1797, 1814 Ensign (lowest officer grade) in the King´s German Legion (2nd bataillon of the line), he fought in the battle of Waterloo 1815, Lieutenant in 1816.

The he returned to the Hannover army. He became chief of staff in 1857 (colonel), 1858 Major-General, 1864 Lieutenant-General, retreat in 1866, passed away 1882.

The photo probably shows him in the 1860s (the photo is written with "General v. Sichart")

I´m glad to own a photo of a man, born in the 18th century and fought at Waterloo!

General v. Sichart v. Sichartshoff.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Hello Paul!

The awards in #2 are:

1st cross: Commander Cross of Guelphen-Medal (2nd class - he later recieved 1st class)

2nd cross: Ernst-August Cross

R.St.A.2. (B.):  Russian St. Anna Medal with brilliants

O.H.2.*: Oldenburger House and distinguished medal Commanders Cross 1.class

B.H.L.2.*: Braunschweigischer Medal Heinrich des Löwen, Commanders Cross 1.Kl.

P.R.A.2: Prussian Red Eagle medal Commander 1.class

O.E.K.3.: Austrian medal of the iron crown, 3.class

H.D.L.3.: Hesse Ludewig medal 3. class

P.J.: Prussian Johanniter medal

E.W.M.: Great-Britain Waterloo medal

M.K.: Mecklenburg-Schwerin Military distinguished cross

(Chief of general staff)

• 4 months later...
    • 2 years later...

Don't know how I could miss this topic so please exclude the late reply but It is a very impressive picture, thanks for showing! To me it is especially noteworthy that von Sichart, along his military merits, was a productive writer who is until today well known and respected amongst Hanover historians for producing his opus magnum "the history of the royal Hanoverian army" (Geschichte der Königlich-Hannoverschen Armee). Always worth a read for those interested in German military history because the Guelph were very active especially in the 18th century wars from France to the balkans. Cheers

On 28/12/2020 at 05:39, The Prussian said:

Hi!

Thanks a lot for the added info of the book! Probably it´s hard to get...

I only have the pdf vol. 1-4

Hi! Your're right - for some strange reason vols. 1-4 are easy to get online everywhere (e. g. archive.org) but vol. 5 (sechster and siebter Zeitraum = "periods" 6 + 7 from 1803-1866) is almost nowhere to find. I never found out why... Well, if your IP is US you may at least read it completely at hathitrust. Cheers!