Gentleman's Military Interest Club
oamotme

Miss May Evans MBE, ARRC, MiD, Rafidain 5th Class

Gentlemen,

I am currently researching the awards of my great great aunt May Evans (1884-1980) but am having difficulty in locating her ARRC (Associate Royal Red Cross) award notification. To date I have the following:

MBE LG 2 January 1933 - Miss May Evans, Senior Nursing Sister, Nursing Home, Baghdad, Iraq (no mention of ARRC).

Iraq Order of Rafidain 5th Class Civil LG 12 March 1937 - Miss May Evans MBE ARRC 'valuable services rendered by her as Senior Nursing Sister in the Iraqi Health Service'.

MiD LG 23 September 1943 Mrs May Chadwick MBE 'in recognition of distinguished services in Persia-Iraq' (no mention of ARRC). 

May married in Baghdad in 1939 Major Charles Rowlad Chadwick, sometime Inspector General of the Iraqi Veterinary Services, also OBE later CBE and Rafidain 4th Class.

I do not believe she held any military rank in Iraq during WW2 and thus her MiD if worn would not have been on a medal ribbon.

Thank you for any assitance provided.

owain

Owain,

Salaam alaikum!

I looked up Haywards (nd) 'Army Honours & Awards' (a reprint of the Supplement to the Army List , April 1920), that contains numerous list of serving / living award holders, including RRC / ARRC recipients, and found below under the nominal roll of ARRC recipients;

- Evans, Miss M (Staff Nurse, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R.) The War of 1914-19, 3 June 1916

The date refers to the LG publication issue date

Note: There are only 3 x Evans with forename beginning with letter M, the above is the only one shown as forename initial only - the other M's were a Madge & a Mella!

As of writing, I do not know if the above Miss 'M' Evans is your one or not, but if not, then I suggest that your May Evans may have received her ARRC for service post 1920?

Good luck with the research.

Yours aye,

Mark

Mark, Many thanks indeed. I will try and track down the post WW1 awards and if she is not there then I suspect she is the 3 June 1916 award and see if I can track down a medal card - this would also men that she is entitled to a War & Victory too. I'll keep everyone posted. Again thank you. Owain

Owain,

I had a look at the Great War Medal rolls, and the Staff Nurse 'M'. Evans (A.R.R.C. 1916), mentioned above is confirmed as serving with the Territorial Force Nursing Service, and being entitled to and receiving a Great War cam 'Pair' of British War Medal & Interallied Victory Medal, which were issued/sent to her on 15 July 1922 (ref WO 329/2298).

Note: I also did an 'exact' search for any Medal Index Card for M Evans - of the over 200 returned, none were to the TFNS!

Good luck.

Mark