Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Hey Gents,

I´ve received this bayonet around the time queen Victorias.

May you can help me with the marks?

Best wishes

Chris

180424 (11).JPG

180424 (12).JPG

180424 (13).JPG

180424 (14).JPG

180424 (15).JPG

Posted (edited)

The marks on the blade itself are 'proof marks', indicating that it has been passed/approved by various inspectiors during manufacture and possibly later.  '88' indicates a manufacture date of 1888.

The numbers which are struck through on the hilt are likely individual issue numbers, applied by the regiment or company which issued this bayonet to, presumably, two different soldiers.

One mark on the blade a 'double broad arrow' looks like a backwards 'K' next to a 'K' in your picture.  This generally indicates that the item has been sold out of governmwenrt service, either to another army or for scrap steel.  

Bayonets.JPG

Edited by peter monahan

Hi,

many thanks for your answer.

But what does the regiment mark mean?

Best wishes

Chris

I was referrng to the numbers '42' and '12', both crossed out, and '3'.   I think these would have been stamped on by the regmental armourer to dentify this bayonet as belonging to 'soldier #42' n the regment or company.  The soldier would have his own ID number/serial number, probably 4 digits, but would be expected to memorize the seral numbers stamped on his rifle and bayonet and, if it was found, the number stamp would show that 'this bayonet, #42, was issued to Private...... of [A, B, C] Company'. 

So this bayonet has been issued at least three times to different individuals, probably in different regiments.  Perhaps to a regular, later a Territorial or even eventually a cadet corps.  The Army was very big on numbereing things and I'm always amazed when I associate with modern military reencators that they haven't labelled everything they own with their serial number and can't recite the number of their rifle off by heart!

Hi Peter,

many thanks for your answer.

So now I know what the numbers mean. :)

Best wishes

Chris