News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraq/Afghanistan medal award documents

Hello all,

I'm currently trying to find information as to if the following medals for the recent Iraq/Afghanistan conflicts were awarded with certificates/documents/diplomas or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Canadian General Campaign Star

Canadian SouthWest Asia Service Medal

Australian Iraq Medal

Australian Afghanistan Medal

New Zealand GSM Afghanistan

New Zealand GSM Iraq

New Zealand Operational Service Medal

Here is our DND [Dept of Natonial Defence] site on Honors and Awards.  Perhaps a list of which documents are avalable and where they might be can be found here.   I'm afraid I don't know enough about the  awarded unnamed, modern awards to say for sure but as the Canadian ones are typically awarded unnamed, I would be surprsied if there were not a document with each.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/faq/index-eng.asp

hoopa,

This url will take you to the Canadian Forces site that describes the Canadian awards you are interested in.  It does not mention any documents being presented with the medal.  I know the designer of the medal and I'll ask him this coming week if he knows if there were any docs presented.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/honours-history-medals-chart/medal-gcs-swa.page  

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Hello Hoopa,

I can advise you that for the New Zealand medals; New Zealand GSM Afghanistan, New Zealand GSM Iraq & New Zealand Operational Service Medal, there is no certificates, documents etc formally presented to the service person . If you want to have a look at the medal warrant/regulation you can have a look at the NZDF Medals website: http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/category/index.html. Unfortunately the latest NZGSM's including the (Iraq 2015) do not show up on this site yet (the NZDF can sometimes be a bit slow with information). Normally at a unit level medal presentation they will read out a short description of medal eligibility taken from the website plus a bit more info about the service person if it is a Long Service award.

For my sins I work for the NZDF's Medal Office (now called "Personal Archives & Medals") 

Another country heard from.  Thank you, Chris, for the solid information.  Still strikes me as odd that, having ponied up the shekels for a medal, a certificate isn't included, but the government/military mind moves in mysterous ways its wonders to achieve.