News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

officers scarlet tunic ID

I am trying to id the regiment of this officers scarlet tunic, I assume late Victorian or early 20th century, in fact it is 1881 to 1902 when it is replaced by the other type I own. 

It is not  a royal regiment as the facings are white, but obviously an officers example but it has some subtle differences on the cuff braid and the rear white piping to one I own to the Welsh.  It has been robbed of its collar badges, shoulder boards and buttons and has no label inside it.  It is badly moth eaten and I don't know what to do with it, just leave it or attempt a restoration as it was thrown in with a job lot of other items I bought.

I would be very grateful if anyone can id the unit from which it originated.

red tunic p1.jpg

red tunic p2.jpg

red tunic p3.jpg

red tunic p4.jpg

red tunic p5.jpg

Edited by Jerry B

Pity it's in such rough shape.  The braidng suggests someone of rank and the quality looks good.  There were at least 6- 8 white-faced regiments n the 19th century ncluding the Leicestershire,  Monmouthshire and 74th Highlanders so not sure how to narrow t down. :(

3 hours ago, Bayern said:

Gentlemen : Why not 2nd Dragoon Guards ( Queens Bays ) ?

I did consider the bays from the shape of the badge, but not sure if they wore this pattern frock with white collar and cuffs.  I had a look on uniformology and they did seem to wear something similar with white facings. 

I had thought infantry of the line as the ornamental braid is correct for infantry and not for the cavalry as each cavalry regiment had unique braid, 2DG for instance had as shown below.

Thanks for pointing back in the direction of the Bays, I shall undertake further research.

08_-_Officer_sCollar_Lace___Badges.jpg

Hello , Yes certainly the lace on collar and cuffs is not that of the 2nd . looking closely I noted apart of leaves ,heraldic roses and these not are of the lace of the 2nd which carried only laurel leaves.

So , white facings , English or Welsh Regiment , gold lace with roses , regular unit .