News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My little collection of finnish liberty crosses

Thank you Janne!

As you probably already know, there is a VR3 PR 1939 for sale at prenikka.fi.
    The cross is in extremely fine condition and has a price according to it. But still only 48 awarded so mint crosses are really rare.

If I hear or find any other for sale I will send you a PM.

Pictures of my VR3 PR 1918 is on its way. Hopefully I can take good pics next week.

Looking very nice!!! 

On 04/01/2019 at 15:23, JohanH said:

Thank you Janne!

As you probably already know, there is a VR3 PR 1939 for sale at prenikka.fi.
    The cross is in extremely fine condition and has a price according to it. But still only 48 awarded so mint crosses are really rare.

If I hear or find any other for sale I will send you a PM.

Pictures of my VR3 PR 1918 is on its way. Hopefully I can take good pics next week.

Yes, i know that in prenikka.

Thanks for it.

• 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...

Yeah, it´s been really slow on finding new liberty crosses for my collection. So in the meantime I´ve been buying some other medals for my collection while I´m waiting for some new crosses to come up for sale. 

On Emedals there is a VR1 1941 without swords for sale (awarded 22 times) but I think it´s too expensive. Especially with the tax and customs fees. 

Someday I´m planning to make a new group photo of my liberty crosses, I just need the weather to improve so I can get good sun light. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I've had the time take them out to make a new group photo of my entire collection of Liberty Crosses.
    All crosses/medals in the picture are different years or variants. I think I have three or four different variants of VM2 1918.  

The one's I still search for are the following. 
    VM1 with red cross

VR1 with swords
    VR1 without swords
    VR2 without swords

VR1 with swords and oakleaf
    VR1 without swords
    VR2 with swords and oakleaf

1945-
    VR1 with swords
    VR1 without swords
    VR2 with swords and rosette
    VR3 with red cross
    VR4 with swords and rosette
    VR4 without swords
    VM2 type 2

And of course all grand crosses and breast stars. But since they are waay to rare and expensive I don't think I will ever get those. 

P1030181.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
    • 6 months later...

For years I was just an observer of Finnish awards. I've always liked the Cross of Liberty for its beautiful design and great quality. I've finally got my first 1941 example of the 4th class and now that I finally have it in hands, I have to say it's even more beautiful.

Here's my humble contribution to the thread.

CL4-1.thumb.jpg.6884c24982a457cfd205ac51ea2e4823.jpg

CL4-2.thumb.jpg.144d0e9d5cb5d49563bde57b8581a601.jpg

CL4-3.thumb.jpg.9b4f3ff02fc4987ab2c8368747d674be.jpg

CL4-4.thumb.jpg.263b21ee5408ecb1b723d0fb94b78bb8.jpg

• 9 months later...

I have finally found a missing piece for my Libertycross collection! Almost two years since the last time.

This time it's a piece that I haven't seen for sale in many years, I've hardly even seen it on pictures.

If the sun decide to show up tomorrow I will take some pictures of it. :)

Since the sun apparently not is on my side today, I made a scan of my newest find. 

1st class medal with red cross 1918!

According to Tiainens book it was awarded 197 times, but I have also heard that probably only a fraction of those was with the red cross and most got the normal medal (without cross). 

Anyway this medal have eluded me for years since it's so rare. But now it's mine and it completes my collection of 1918 medals and crosses, from 1st class crosses down to 2nd class medals.

During the last years I've seen one of these for sale (this one) and 4-5 Libertycrosses 3rd class 1918 (and those was only awarded 22 times). That gives an idea of how difficult these are to find. 

VM1_PR_1918.jpg

Hellou,

hopefully you can make better pics. It looks bit strange. The Red cross side looks so polished and the year side dirty. And the part under number 91 looks flat. It should not be like that. (Hopefully understand what I mean) And under that part should be silver stamps. For example Sporring made those medals.

The picture is bad. If the sun decide to show up I will try to make better pictures. 

But yes, the front has been polished and there is nothing strange about the year on the back.
    It only looks flat on the picture, not in real life. 

As far as I know, Sporrong never made any 1918 medals with red cross, they only made the medal without cross. 
    I have never seen or heard of any red cross medals with hallmarks since they are made of silvered bronze. 
    (Just like the ones from 1939, the early ones are made from silvered bronze and the later in hallmarked silver)

The short answer is yellow ribbon for 2nd class and up. This changed however to
    red ribbon for front line awards and yellow ribbon for homefront /civilian awards. 

Today all awards are with yellow ribbon, if awarded for gallantry under enemy fire it's awarded with a rosette (these are very rare). If Finland would be in war again, I suppose the ribbons would be red and marked with the year of the outbreak of war on the back. 

Libertycross 4th class with red cross 1941 was awarded 861 times. But I don't know how many was on red vs. yellow ribbon. 

• 1 month later...

First new piece for 2021!

Liberty cross 2nd class with homefront ribbon!
    According to the seller it was awarded to a Swedish officer but without any proof, who knows?

I don't know how many crosses that was awarded with the yellow ribbon but it's a lot scarcer than the red war ribbon. 

Sorry for the bad pictures. The sun doesn't want to cooperate with me. 

P1040817.jpg

• 3 months later...
    On 05/01/2021 at 13:44, JohanH said:

According to the seller it was awarded to a Swedish officer but without any proof, who knows?

Do you have recipient's name? Finns don't usually tell you that. I don't no why...
    - Vili

Edited by FRE_A_K