News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Leopold orden badge for officers

Dear fellow collectors

Emedals had an update which showed this grade of the Leopold-orden, I have never before encountered such a piece and I wondered if any of you could provide any info on it.

https://www.emedals.com/europe/austria-imperial/orders/order-of-leopold/austria-empire-an-imperial-order-of-leopold-badge-for-officers-officials-second-model

Kind regards, Laurentius

Every Order of Imperial Austria/Austria-Hungary  (with the exception of FJO) had  a Order Chapter (Ordenskapitel), which served as a chancellery of the Order. They had been responsible for correspondence with awardees, distribution of the orders and their reception (after dead of the awardee) to the Order´s treasury as well as for an organization of everyday life of the Order. In the 1st half of 19 cent. knights/commanders/grand crosses´ holders of the Order had been also summoned by Order Chapter for church ceremonies on the day of the particular Saint of the Order. They also wore special robes (classes had been distinguished - knight/most simple, holders of the grand crosses/most complicated). In course of time and with growing numbers of knights of all classes these ceremonies ceased to exist or better said they were not organized anymore. Every Order Chapter had their own officials - Chancellor, Chaplain Grand Vicar, Chaplain Vicar, Treasurer, Herold and Registrar. Those had been official (not officers) of the Order Chapter and these distinguished people had been entitled to wear special badge of "their Order" indicating their office by ceremonial occasions.

This should be 2. Model - period 1862-1918 (1. Model 1808 -1862 had a shape of medal - not preserved in any known and genuine piece , at least what I know) and of course is very scarce and valuable item for collectors.

However...an originality of this very badge could be also challenged...

Regards,

tifes