News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

IRAQ MONARCHY IN EXILE : ORDER OF THE HASHEMITE CROWN

Hello Gentlemen,

After the fall of Saddam Hussein in March 2003, lots have speculated about the return of the Monarchy in Iraq,  we now know, that it was not the future chosen for Iraq.

Whatever, it is not the place to discuss about politic, but about Order and Medals.

In 2005, I saw in ELM in Singapore an entierly new made set of the Order of Faiçal, and also a breast star of the Order of Rafidian (Order of the 2 Rivers), the later with entirely black center (because they did not knew which symbol to put in the center, yet).

But we now know that the other jeweler of Singapore : "Royal Insignia"  did manufactured at least 1 set, but likely 5 to 10 set of the Order of the Hashemite Crown.

The inscription in red : "Order of the Hashemite Crown"

This purely a private Order, awarded in a very small number by the Royal Faimy of Iraq, but qality is stunning. It's silver gilt and enamel, NOT gold !!!!

Breast star is 90 millimeters in diameter and 224 grammes heavy.

Sash badge is 101 x 82 millimeters and 133 grammes heavy.

I hope you can enjoy this piece, as it is.

Best regards to all

Emmanuel

Irak Order of the Hashemite Crown breast star obverse.jpg

Irak Order of the Hashemite Crown breast star side.jpg

Irak Order of the Hashemite Crown breast star reverse.jpg

Irak Order of the Hashemite Crown breast star reverse hallmark.jpg

Irak Order of the Hashemite Crown breast star reverse backplate.jpg

Irak Order of the Hashemite Crown sash badge obverse954.jpg

Irak Order of the Hashemite Crown sash badge reverse.jpg

Irak Order of the Hashemite Crown sash badge side.jpg

Irak Order of the Hashemite Crown set case of issue.jpg

With the sash that was in the case.

Best photo I can do

Emmanuel

Irak Order of the Hashemite Crown set medium size.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Thank you, Emmanuel, for locating this elusive item.   As usual, you graciously share your valuable, esoteric & hard-won information and imagery!  Royal Insignia manufactured these decorations, designed by Philip Eagleton, in the early 2000’s.  

Sharif Ali bin Hussein perused the Order of the Hashemite Crown concept while envisaging restoration of a post-2003 Iraqi kingdom with himself as king.  He continues to lead the Iraqi Constitutional Monarchy Movement.  An Iraqi Hashemite who survived the 1958 revolution as a two year old, he was King Faisal II‘s first cousin; his maternal grandfather was the last king of Hejaz.  However, the ephemeral monarchial restoration campaign evaporated so the Hashemite Crown project dissolved.   To date, I cannot confirm that Sharif Ali ever actually used or awarded this Order or that these pieces represent more than just exploratory samples.

Yes, Peter, both the star and badge exhibit damage.  Several of the star point extremities are bent and the badge lacks several pearls in addition to the bent suspension [note enamel loss to arm under the crown].   

Edited by 922F