News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What medallion is this?

Noor

Thank you. A forum member advised me that it is a an orphan's benevolent society benefactor's jeton.

Quality is just amazing! I just realised that the ring is hallmarked. I will make some better close up photos of it later on.

what kind of ribbon it should have, does anybody know?

13 hours ago, Noor said:

Thank you. A forum member advised me that it is a an orphan's benevolent society benefactor's jeton.

Quality is just amazing! I just realised that the ring is hallmarked. I will make some better close up photos of it later on.

what kind of ribbon it should have, does anybody know?

As usually a golden or siver chain was used.

The heraldic term for the pelican shown is 'a pelican in her piety' and, as Nick says, is a symbol of selfless sacrifice: when no other food is available the female will pierce her own breast and nourish her young with her blood.

This symbol is commonly seen in Catholic churches - on altar cloths and in paintings - and, I suspect may be important in other denominations too.  A really nice piece and a fascinating look into another time!