News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi

Oblt dR x Haehner from FuAR 10 received the Das österr. Verdienstkreuz mit der Kriegsdekoration in spring of 1916 while serving on the Eastern front. Does it exist any award-list  for this award which can give a first name ?

He apparently later received the Hohx in late 1917 or early 1918. He is one a the few airmen mentioned in von Hoeppners book so he became "famous".  He was living in Straßburg but apparently it does not exist any on-line address books for this town. And sadly for me the archive in Straßburg is on French language so I am unable to find if he have an file there.

Anyone who have a first name for him and/or possible date and place of birth ?

Gunnar

He is listed as Hptm.a.D. Otto Heinrich Haehner in the 1930 Berlin Adreßbuch. In DeZeng and Stankey's list of Luftwaffe officers, they have him as "Hähner, Otto-Heinrich".

27.1.08 Lt.d.R.
    21.2.15 OLt.d.R., z.Zt. im Ers./FußAR 10
    26.6.17 Hptm.d.R. mit Pat. v. 15.6.17

He is listed as a Bankbeamter in Straßburg in the 1911 directory of reserve and Landwehr officers.  He is not in the 1926 Mitglieder-Verzeichnis of the FußAR 10 Offizier-Vereinigung.

Thanks very much Dave :)

With first names it will probably be an high chance to find his date and place of birth later on.

I have that he started as active officer in FuAR 10 and promoted Lt 19.11.1908 mit Patent 27.01.1908, then circa 1910 he went over to the Reserve of that Regiment.

Gunnar

That makes sense. I just quickly checked the 1911 Beurlaubtenstand RL, but didn't check further. Still surprising he was not in the Offizier-Vereinigung, but he may have been living in France or the Rhineland at the time and was prevented by French authorities.

• 2 months later...

Gunnar, one addition to the above. In the history of the Landwehrkorps, Haehner is listed as an OLt.d.R. and Beobachter in 1916, serving in FFA 64, attached to the 4.Landwehr-Division. 

The commander of FFA 64 at the time is listed as Hptm. Pohl. Do you know whether this is Walter Pohl from IR 136?

Hi Dave

Yes, it is Walter Pohl from earlier IR 136. Walter was the first commander FFA 64 which he lead to late 1916. He have an BAMA file which I have checked. He also had an background in the Air Force pre-War which made his "status" little higher.

The last known date I have for Haehner in FFA 64 is July 1916.

Gunnar

Thanks!

These are the other FFA 64 officers listed for whom I don't have a first name. I'm not even sure of the last names, as the book has a lot of typos in the last names.

• Arndt, ____, Lt., Beob. FFA 64
    • Burgdorff, ____, Lt., Beob. FFA 64
    • Foerster, ____ v., Lt., Beob. FFA 64
    • Reimund, ____, Lt.d.L. I, Flugzg.Fhr. FFA 64
    • Unger, ____, OLt., Offz.z.b.V. FFA 64

Hi Dave

Lt Arndt is probably named Dietrich and named in the loss lists, eventually he have an file in Berlin

Lt Burgdorff is a new name for me, it existed an Obstlt Heinrich Burgdorf born 1881 who served in the Luftwaffe, but different spelling and rather old..

Lt Hans-Heinrich von Foerster from IR 24 did later became an leader of an Bomber-unit.

Reimund is a new name for me and tricky to find.

Germann Unger from IR 67 with two n in first name is often mis-spelled, he later became an General in Luftwaffe.

Gunnar