News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Door Badges

Brian Wolfe

Japanese Door Badges

I’ve followed this section for quite a number of years now yet seldom post mainly because I don’t have a lot that hasn’t been shown many times before.  While I never get tired of seeing yet another Golden Kite much like the Iron Cross guys I rather thought that perhaps not everyone feels that way.   On the other hand I haven’t been very supportive of the Japan section so with that in mind I am posting specimens from my small Japanese Door Badges collection.

As an introduction I’ll quote the section from “In the Name of a Living God”, Paul L. Murphy & Steven L. Ackley, Chapter 13 as I could not say this any better.

“Most of the societies whose badges as featured in this book issued door badges to their members in addition to the normal membership and merit awards.  These were intended to be affixed to the home entrance to indicate that the owner was a member of the relevant society.  The use of door badges continues in modern Japan although most are now in the form of adhesive stickers.

The badges used before 1945 were made from a variety of materials and a sample of badges from the main organizations follow.  Most door badges incorporate some society badge and the membership class representation. In some cases they also have the recipient’s name.”

I have a few of these so it may take several posts to get the whole collection up, more a matter of my slow photography skills then any vast number of specimens. So please be patient.

Regards

Brian

The first specimen (below) is, “Member” of the Greater Japan Wounded Veteran’s Association. (An early badge, 1913 – 38)

100_7442.jpg

100_7442.jpg

Sorry About that last photo, it didn't look like our forum was going to accept Photoshop sizing and I panicked.:blush:

This badge is to a member of the Wounded Servicemen's association from Chiba Prefecture.

100_7444.jpg

Wounded Soldier's Wives Association

100_7445.jpg

I should have stated that most of the badges in my collection are made of a light weight metal unless noted otherwise.

In this case the badge is made of wood.

Bereaved Family WWII KIA

100_7446.jpg

"Full Member" of the Imperial Time Expired Soldier's League.

100_7447.jpg

"Member" of the Imperial Time Expired Soldier" League.

100_7448.jpg

This is a wooded badge.

"Member" Patriotic Women's Association (Aikoku Fujin Kai)

100_7449.jpg

Imperial Military Reserve Association (Teikoku Zaigo Gunjinkai) Member.

100_7450.jpg

This door badge is wooden.

"Member" of the Imperial Navy Association

100_7451.jpg

This is a wooden door badge.

Imperial Friends of the Military Association.

Located in Ishindencho Mie Prefecture

100_7452.jpg

This door badge came with the original box and even the small brads (tacks) to mount it.

"Member" of the Japanese Red Cross Society.

100_7456.jpg

This Red Cross Door Badge is made from a pressed paper product similar to the material used for today's egg cartons.

"Member" of the Japanese Red Cross Society.

100_7458.jpg

Supporting Member of the Manchukuo Red Cross Society 1938-1945

100_7459.jpg

This is a porcelain door badge, a specimen I am very fortunate to own as these must have been quite fragile.

Imperial Japanese Seafarers Relief Association (Nihon Kalin Ekisaikai)

100_7462.jpg

To finish off my collection here is a post war issue door badge and pin backed badge.

I have other Japanese Red Cross associated items that I may post at a later date on a different thread.

"Full Member of the Japanese Red Cross Society".

100_7463.jpg

• 3 years later...