News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fantastic 'lil photo.... before the battle.....

To go with my tiny Schoerner collection.....

Taken just before the Battle for Kemmel

Schoerner

Bernhard Freiherr v. Pechann

Fähnrich Steinhäuser

FwLt Baier

Obviously Schoerner 2nd from the right, Pechmann extreme right methinks... not sure who is who on the left,,,, I guess the older one is the Fw Lt and the younger the Fähnrichpic1.thumb.jpg.5536f92ddb9158cfc91e9bdf7d2c1ceb.jpgpic1.thumb.jpg.5536f92ddb9158cfc91e9bdf7d2c1ceb.jpg

OK, photo is dated April 1918

on the left Fw. Lt. Fritz Baier, recipient of the Austrian Golden Bravery medal. (11.9.1884)

2nd from left, Richard Steinhäuser, promoted Lt 11.4.1918 (11.11.1897)

Schörner

Right Bernhard Pechmann, EK1 on the 20th Marche 1918,  buried by shellfire and reported as badly wounded and MIA at Kemmel on the 29th April 1918 (14.5.1898)

Indeed, a great photo.  I have to confess I was unfamiliar with Schörner (I really don't know most of the personalities on the German side), but after reading a short bio, I am envious of your photo.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by IrishGunner

21 hours ago, IrishGunner said:

Indeed, a great photo.  I have to confess I was unfamiliar with Schörner (I really don't know most of the personalities on the German side), but after reading a short bio, I am envious of your photo.

Thanks for sharing.

I have his Leib Regt honor ring and Militärpass as well ;-)

54 minutes ago, ixhs said:

In WW1 Schörner was a war hero.

In WW2 he mutated to a war criminal. After the war he was arrested many years.

Yes indeed... but in general he was not a likeable guy... I was reading a Bio, when between the wars he was teaching at the same academy as Rommel, the feeling was that Rommel commanded by his personality, Schörner was respected because of his rank and reputation as a soldier, his personality not being something that warmed him to others.

I have a few groups from WW2 where the guy was a combat stud in WW1, and a distastefull fellow in the 3rd Reich.

Its a bit like OJ Simpson.... there was the football player /B Movie actor.... and there was the murderer.... a Before/After kinda deal....