News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I recently bought this badge quite cheap at a fair mainly as a gap filler. Looking at it more closely it looks pretty period. The mark is Brehmer Berlin. 3 but I can't find an example of that maker on the internet to compare. I like to know where the differences are between fake and real. I'd be grateful for any comments from the experts.

Thank you.

DSC01588.jpg

DSC01589.jpg

DSC01590a.jpg

DSC01593.jpg

The reason you can't find any reference for this maker and Para badges is that Gustav Brehmer, although a wartime producer of badges, did not supply Para badges to the Luftwaffe.

This is a very poor attempt at faking a para badge, even down to the maker mark stating that they were based in Berlin when, in fact, they were based in Markneukirchen - Saxony.

Brehmer was a premier manufacturer of badges, and to give you some idea how good they were.... 

257820509_GustavBrehmer.thumb.jpg.ecd5a1a8e5ef40997e014434e8e9a785.jpg

below are some original badges, by various makers, which will hopefully show why the fallschirmjäger wore them so proudly.

para_comp_coll.thumb.jpg.c3b0b67d88ae6cb52112e650322d367a.jpg

Thank you John that was the simple answer to that. It shall therefore remain known as "the gap filler" and remind me to keep an eye open for a good one. I only paid £10 which should have told me something anyway.

Grateful for your knowledge as usual.

Best Regards

Garry

• 4 years later...

Im very interested in this post because I also have a badge just like this also marked Brehmer Berlin however I can state with almost complete certainty its genuine.

It belonged to a paratrooper called Werner Ratzmann,I also have his Ground Assault badge his kit issue book,a photo of him in uniform and his iron cross.I also have documentation of his incarceration in a POW camp in Belgium,and his eventual move to another POW camp in England.

And I actually knew the guy although I was very young at the time !

• 1 month later...
    On 11/09/2022 at 10:35, PaulPasquet said:

Im very interested in this post because I also have a badge just like this also marked Brehmer Berlin however I can state with almost complete certainty its genuine.

The problem with that is- Brehmer company operated out of Markneukirchen. And unlike some companies operating during the times out of multiple places, it was Brehmer's sole location. I am sure you can see how a piece marked 'Brehmer Berlin' could put the brakes on a story of its originality.

That said, there were instances of perfectly original medals and badges defaced by spurious, post-war stamps of more desirable makers, among other reasons.

Perhaps a picture of your piece would help put those objections to rest?

On 11/09/2022 at 17:35, PaulPasquet said:

It belonged to a paratrooper called Werner Ratzmann,I also have his Ground Assault badge his kit issue book,a photo of him in uniform and his iron cross.I also have documentation of his incarceration in a POW camp in Belgium,and his eventual move to another POW camp in England.

I am not saying that this is the case when it comes to this particular badge, but I have come across other ex POW personal effects that contain fake badges.  It would seem that it was common practice for those who had had their badges/insignia taken off them, on capture, to seek replacements post war.

As Matthew says, a picture would help but I suspect that Ratzmann most likely fell foul to the many fakers that were about at the time.