News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Holtzmann, Robert

• 2 years later...

I just found this picture of him, he had EK I, he seemed to have the Turk flying badge and the Eiserner Halbmond. What about his field clasp? Maybe the Liakat-Medaille? What else? Maybe the Military Merit Cross (Austria-Hungary)? So hard to see ...

Robert Holtzmann II.jpg

Robert got quite alot.

Wuerttemberg Frederick knight 1st class with swords,

Prussian EK1,

German KVK1 with swords in WW2

Ernestinian House Order knight 2nd class

Finnland war medal 1918

Austrian Military merit cross and pilots badge

Turkisch Osmanie 4th class, Liakat medal in silver with sabres and the Half Moon.

Best,

Daniel

Short follow up: When you write Finland war medal, would that be the Finnischer Orden des Freiheitskreuzes (Order of the Cross of Liberty) or the Erinnerungsmedaille des Finnischen Freiheitskriege? Thanks!

Edited by Deutschritter

May I add something: I found this short story on OUR Holtzmann about his last days as commander of the air field in Böblingen by Stuttgart 1919 (Das Propellerblatt, 2008). Then I look at the picture ... and it is not OUR Holtzmann, but instead Prof. Dr. phil. Dr. h. c. Robert Holtzmann (1873--1946). Maybe related? It gets more interesting. Prof. Holtzmann was also Hauptmann of Württemberg (actually Großherzogtum Baden) during the war, but Hauptmann der Reserve. He was once Einjährig-Freiwilliger in an infantry regiment (which one?) and was taken over by the reserves. He was severly wounded 1916 by Verdun. He received EK II and I, Orden vom Zähringer Löwen, Ritterkreuz II. Klasse and the wounded badge in back. But why not any Württemberg decorations (maybe he only served in the Prussian army?). Later of course the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer, 1943 the Goethe-Medaille für Kunst und Wissenschaft, and summer 1944 the Ehrendoktorwürde der Theologischen Fakultät der Universität Halle-Wittenberg. If anyone can add anything, please let me know.

Holtzmann, Robert (1883), Das Propellerblatt, 2008.jpg

Edited by Deutschritter

Here I have another picture of Holtzmann as Führer of the Flieger-Abteilung 16 (1918 in Finland as part of the Ostsee-Division), around autumn or the end of 1917. Nice medal bar (once again, thanks Daniel). The very short hair is surely do to hair lice, so common on the western and eastern front.

Robert Holtzmann, Führer der Flieger-Abteilung 16 (FA 16).jpg

On 07/07/2021 at 17:30, Deutschritter said:

He was once Einjährig-Freiwilliger in an infantry regiment (which one?) and was taken over by the reserves.

Morning, Dr. Robert Holtzmann was commissioned as a Seconde-Lieutenant der Reserve in Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 143 on 21 April 1898 (Ll) and was promoted to Oberleutnant der Reserve on 27 January 1909. He transferred to Landwehr status in 1910/11 (Landwehrbezirk Straßburg). He left the Landwehr on 10 June 1913 with permission to wear the Landwehr army uniform. Recalled for service in WW1, he was promoted to Hauptmann der Landwehr a.D. on 26 October 1914. He served with Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 87 during the war.

Regards

Glenn

On 10/07/2021 at 10:45, Glenn J said:

Morning, Dr. Robert Holtzmann was commissioned as a Seconde-Lieutenant der Reserve in Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 143 on 21 April 1898 (Ll) and was promoted to Oberleutnant der Reserve on 27 January 1909. He transferred to Landwehr status in 1910/11 (Landwehrbezirk Straßburg). He left the Landwehr on 10 June 1913 with permission to wear the Landwehr army uniform. Recalled for service in WW1, he was promoted to Hauptmann der Landwehr a.D. on 26 October 1914. He served with Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 87 during the war.

Regards

Glenn

Dear Glenn, maybe you can help me out with diplomat Rudolf Nadolny. He was Einjährig-Freiwilliger [Grenadier-Regiment „König Friedrich der Große“ (3. Ostpreußisches) Nr. 4], left the reserves of the army as Oberleutnant around 1913, was called back for the war 1914, was Hauptmann d. R. and leader of the Sektion Politik Berlin des Generalstabs (military intelligence). Later he was Major d. R. in the Wehrmacht. If you have anything on him (exact dates?), PLEASE let me know. Thank you!

Good morning,

He was promoted to Leutnant d.R. on 17.12.98 (Yy) and to Oberleutnant d.R. on 18.10.09. He left the reserves on 19 July 1913. Hauptmann d.R. a.D. on 9.11.14 whilst serving with the Stellvertrende Generalstab der Armee.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks so much, Glenn, another officer brought out of the dark. I read, he had Roter Adlerorden, 4th class and Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung, 2nd class before the war. Do you know anything about war decorations? He was active until July 1916, then went as a diplomat to Persia. He was also in Turkey and Georgia 1917/18, but I couldn't find an award list anywhere.

Sincerly,

Andreas

He is shown in the "Handbuch für das Deutsche Reich" 1918 with following:

RAO4

KO3

EK2

LD2

The "Biographisches Handbuch des deutschen Auswärtigen Dienstes 1871-1945", Band 3 gives a 1.9.40 promotion to Major. d.R.

Regards

Glenn