News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My little collection of Finnish winterwar medals

Here is my collection of winter war medals from Finland. Talvisota muistomitali or TsMM.

First picture shows all medals with the 15 existing clasps awarded to Finnish personnel. P1000652.thumb.JPG.271d8053ed28f1e761de245a3ba9da38.JPG

Second picture shows my collection of TsMM awarded to foreigners with four different clasps. On has it´s original bag included.
    Then there is the bronze and silver medal, one of the silver medals is a real hallmarked one and the other is a official copy made to a museum in Finland. The museum medal might be for sale or trade if anyone is interested.

Now I only need a gold one to complete my collection. But since only 7 awarded to heads of state, it´s impossible to obtain.
    The silver one is awarded 42 times and extremely hard to find and very expensive once you find one for sale.

P1000653.thumb.JPG.0188506169c6d20b58fb1b95fcd0c415.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

:cheers:

Great Collection , the Silver medal for foreigners is really scarce , I haven´t seen one for sale in ten years.

In 2006-2008 there was 4 ! of them sold , I was offered one for 2000 $  But I took my money and went on a roadtrip to US instead :D

christer

• 1 year later...
    1 hour ago, Colonel B said:

I am new to GMIC. What a wonderful collection. I would like to collect these as well. What are the 15 clasps?  What is the ranking in terms of rarity for the clasps?

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I suppose you have seen the list of all the different clasps in the other thread so I wont repeat it here. 

All the clasps are quite easy to find, atleast in Finland and to some extent also in Sweden. But the hardest one to find (in my opinion) is the Mantsinsaari clasp. 

Also the usual iron and bronze medals for foreigners are pretty easy to find. The iron one was awarded approximately 10 000 times and the bronze one 1961 times. 

The difficult thing is to find the foreigner medal documents, especially the special document for fallen soldiers. They are really rare. 

Tomorrow I can take some photos of the winter war medals that I have bought since the last photo. Among them is a prototype medal and some more medals for foreigners.

Here are some more medals from my collection. 

Bronze - Silver - Gold

The gold one is a gilt bronze medal. The original ones in gold were only awarded 7 times to royalties and heads of states. 

P1040125.JPG

P1040127.JPG

• 2 weeks later...