News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all, I came across this image whilst browsing, and am puzzled, the caption mentions " Komandeur des Automobilcorps," I must admit I havn't heard of them, what branch of (I assume) the military was it part of, the image suggest some form of military/Paramilitary outfit, if so does anyone have any images of such?

regards

Alex K

900.JPG

Alex, the Automobilcorps was a group of civilians, who privately owned motor vehicles and then volunteered the use of those vehicles to the Army.  They had a club uniform - clearly that looked very much like a military uniform.

Here is a link on GMIC that has a discussion about the dagger worn with the uniform - and it includes images of this exact same photo, as well as others: http://gmic.co.uk/topic/4473-german-imperial-automobil-corps-dagger/

Here is another link that gives a concise description of the use of motor vehicles by the German Army: http://www.kaiserscross.com/76001/85601.html

Edited by IrishGunner

Wow, thanks for the links, I have seen those other images before, particularly Prinz Heinrich, I always assumed those to be "Colonial" Dress uniforms, amazing how regimented everything was in those days,

regards

Alex

Hello , Prince Henry of Prussia the younger brother of William II was a enthusiastic of the cars and races , a flyer also .Prince Waldemar washis eldest son . he was haemophilic . althoug he served into the Navy as his father .thats was for a short time . his disease prevented him of real service . Another form of service was to volunteer with your own car . The uniform of the  Kaiserliche Freiwillige Automobilkorps ,was as all reglamented . perhaps for influence of Prince Henry ,the uniform was connected with tthat of the Schutztruppen linked with that of the Navy .