News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tsar Nicholas I. Medal

Uffz. Rohleder

Hello all, 

Today I got this medal. It's my first Tsarist medal ever. 

So I'm quite excited. 

But I'm curious what the award conditions are and if there is any chance of a matching ribbon. 

IMG_20180807_163100.jpg

The yellow spots are play dough. 

Looks like some kids used the medal as stamp of some kind :unsure::shame:

IMG_20180807_163153.jpg

"It was founded in 1896 in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Emperor Nicholas 1. Silver medals were awarded to all officers and class officials who were in the reign of Nicholas I, on active service, bronze lower ranks. More than 30,000 silver and more than 220,000 bronze medals were minted at the St.Petersburg MD. "

From: http://medalirus.ru/pamyatnie-medali/pamyat-nikolay.php  Image of ribbon included.

• 4 weeks later...

Hallo Rohleder;

I am an advocate for adding ribbons to medals.  In my opinion, it completes them. 

I think it is a matter of taste on HOW you attach the ribbon -for display purposes.  Most of the time, the Russian medals tend to have a unique fold to the ribbon.  I attached a link to an imperfect example that I found on this forum, but there are a lot of photographed examples of soldiers wearing their medals this way.   It doesn't look like you have a lot of ribbon to work with, so I can understand that you might not be able to duplicate this.

Edited by Claudius

• 1 year later...

I have one as well, and as it came from some old collection, I'm pretty confident it is authentic. But with so many fakes of Tsarist Russian awards around, and my lack of experience in this field, I'd like to ask: Is this an authentic piece? Thank you!

190915_04.jpg

190915_05.jpg

I have to agree with the other two posters about ribbons...I have seen some very well preserved ribbonless-medals on sites for sale and yet it didn't spark my interest. I noticed the market for ''after market'' ribbons are quite large but still if a medal isn't for sale with it's ribbon (even if I have to end up replacing the ribbon) it doesn't attract my attention.