News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Special Constable Duty Army Band

I've just brought a Special Constable Duty Arm Band showing the number 376 on its plate.

can I ask, does the number meen anything? Or are they just like shoulder numbers, a way of identifying an officer until the number is passed on?

I'm hoping (being a Met officer myself) that it may in fact be a Metropolitan police band but again I'm not an expert and simply don't know.

could someone let me know what dates these were issued please, WW1- 2?

thank you for any info you can give me. It's always nice to have a little information and history on an item I have brought.

Dave

Here's the one I'm talking about

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Dave,

I think these were common to many police services through the WWI and WWII period. Most of the ones in my collection have the stripes running horizontal with a couple running vertically like the one you show above.  I also have one with red and white stripes and it is for a Special Constable Inspector. I like to think the ones like yours and the especially the  Inspector's one I have are to the Met, but that may only be wishful thinking as I have no proof to base a solid opinion; and we both know that would not hold up in court.:whistle:   I have some photos (somewhere) of these being worn on civilian suits as the issue of so many uniforms during the war years to all of the new SC's would have been expensive.  

Regards

Brian

At the risk of being totally off base (a risk I take almost every time I venture an opinion), I believe the armband you have is for one of the county forces. The Met regular police as well as the Met S.C wore the band but neither wore the attached Brassard. The various Commanders of Special Constabularies across the country had a bit of flexability in terms of uniform hardware. Some chose numbered Brassards at some cost, as well as badges. Some were more conservative. 

There is a very fine thread on Special Constable regalia started by Brian that is filled with examples of S.C. Insignia. 

Mike