Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Harry the Mole

Belgian set of 14 medals to one man.

Gentlemen... it has been a few years since I last graced this forum, but hopefully I shall be considerably more active in the future. 

For your perusal, a set of 14  WW1 (and WW2) Belgian medals awarded to the same man. The main set of 11 medals are mounted on an adjustable brass rod, and there can be no doubt that these have always been together. The hidden portion of the ribbons are still very vibrant colours - whereas the exposed portions have faded. The set displays the later 'Yser Cross' rather than the medal, and the Croix de Guerre has the Lion motif on the ribbon. I had to re-mount the whole lot to the velvet card within the frame, but all the main 11 medals remain attached to the brass rod as they were done at the time. There is no name on the photograph, although the cap shows the soldier to have served with the 2nd Infantry regiment. I am hopeful that eventually I will be able to put a name to the picture, a man who has won such honours must surely be listed somewhere. I have a copy of 'LIVRE D'OR DE LA CARTE DU FEU', but so far I have not been able to trace him.

Cheers,

Steve.

DSCF0428.JPG

DSCF0421.JPG

DSCF0424.JPG

DSCF0425.JPG

A few more pictures...

DSCF0423.JPG

DSCF0426.JPG

Very impressive indeed!  Thanks for sharing and good luck in researching this man.

Posted (edited)

Hey Steve,

still love that set!

And not able to replace it so far...

;-)

cheers

Kris

Edited by Stuka f

14 hours ago, Stuka f said:

Hey Steve,

still love that set!

And not able to replace it so far...

;-)

cheers

Kris

Hi Kris,

The set has come to a good home, and I will not be parting with it. I think that in someone else's hands it might have been broken up to sell as single medals. I will renew my search for the soldier's name soon. 

Cheers,

Steve

9 hours ago, Harry the Mole said:

Hi Kris,

The set has come to a good home, .....

Cheers,

Steve

Hey Steve,

I am sure of that and very glad about it! ;-)