News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Named Crimea Period Order of the Mejidie - Viscount Kirkwall

oamotme

Gentlemen,

I have recently read Avsar Ibar's excellent book on the Ottoman Orders of the Mejidie and Osmanie. I have only one such piece - see images - a 5th Class privately engraved to Viscount Kirkwall, later the 6th Earl Orkney. I also have his named British Crimea medal with clasp, "Sebastapol".

It would appear that at some stage it was slightly altered as there is a gold pin on the reverse and the gold suspension loop/hook allows the badge to lift free of this suspension. This may have been done to allow his widow to wear the badge as a brooch.

This award is listed in the London Gazette and I have amassed much detail concerning the Earl and I hope in due course to submit an article for publication.

Kind regards,

Owain

Kirkwall Mejidie Obverse.jpg

Kirkwall Mejidie Reverse Name Detail.jpg

Gordon,

Thanks - in addition to the Mejidie and the Crimea medal he was appointed Commander of the Order of St. Michael & St. George in 1866 and advanced to Knight Commander of the Order in 1875 (insignia returned upon his death in 1889). He was also appointed Grand Commander of the Greek Order of the Saviour, circa 1864 - date to be confirmed and whereabouts unknown. There is a Fenton Crimean War image of Captain Kirkwall - see attached, but to date, despite repeated internet searches, I have been unable to source a picture of him in later life.

Owain

Viscount Kirkwall Royal Collection 224510-1319821353.jpg

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

Thanks Avsar. The Viscount, later 6th Earl, is buried in Kensal Green Cemetery in North London, in his wife's family tomb - see attached images - one with me. I also detail a couple of obituaries. As advised I have yet to track down an image of him in later life - to get one would allow me to complete my draft.

Owain

Inscription on the Earl’s Gravestone to the East of the tomb

SACRED

TO THE MEMORY OF

THE RIGHT HON

GEORGE WILLIAM HAMILTON

6TH EARL OF ORKNEY K.C.M.G.

DIED 21 OCTOBER 1889

AGED 62 YEARS

MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE

• The Morning Post, Wednesday, October 23, 1889, Death of the Earl of Orkney

We regret to record the death of the Earl of Orkney, on Monday, at his residence in Sussex Place, Regent’s Park. George William Hamilton Fitzmaurice, Earl of Orkney, Viscount of Kirkwall and Baron of Dechmont, Linlithgow, in the peerage of Scotland, and a Scottish representative peer, was the eldest son of Thomas, fifth Earl, by the Hon. Charlotte Isabella Irby, second daughter of George, third Lord Boston, and was born in 1827. He entered the army as ensign in the 92nd Highlanders in 1845, and became captain in 1853, afterwards exchanging into the 71st Foot, with which regiment he served at the siege of Sebastopol and the capture of Kertch. In 1856 he entered the Scots Fusiliers, but retired from the army the following year. He served as aide-de-camp to Sir H. Ward (Lord High Commissioner of the Ionian Islands) from 1851 to 1854, was nominated a C.M.G. in 1866, and advanced to K.C.M.G. in 1875. The late Earl succeeded to the family honours in May 1877, having previously, in November, 1872, married, Ameila, Baroness de Samuel, widow of Baron de Samuel, a peer of Portugal. He was elected representative peer for Scotland in 1885, and was appointed Deputy-Lieutenant of Ayrshire in 1852. Failing issue, the earldom devolves upon the late peer’s nephew, Edmund Walter Fitzmaurice, who was born in 1867.

• Supplement to the Cheltenham Chronicle, Saturday, October 26, 1889

We regret to record the death of the Earl of Orkney, on Monday, at his residence in Sussex Place, Regent’s Park. George William Hamilton Fitzmaurice, Earl of Orkney, Viscount of Kirkwall and Baron of Dechmont, Linlithgow, in the peerage of Scotland, and a Scottish representative peer, was the eldest son of Thomas, fifth Earl, by the Hon. Charlotte Isabella Irby, second daughter of George, third Lord Boston, and was born May 6th 1827. The late earl succeeded to the family honours in May 1877, having previously, in November, 1872, married, Ameila, Baroness de Samuel, widow of Baron de Samuel, a peer of Portugal. Failing issue, the earldom devolves upon the late peer’s nephew, Edmund Walter, born in 1867, eldest surviving son of the late Hon. Henry Warrender Fitzmaurice (second son of the fifth earl).

Orkney Grave from North with Owain.jpg

Orkney Grave Inscription East Side.jpg

Orkney Grave from West.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

Gentlemen,

During the Covid lockdown I have revisited my research on Viscount Kirkwall / Earl Orkney, but to date I have not been able to source an image of him in later life. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Owain