News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Orders medals and decorations in Public Collections

It would be nice if this list will grow, so if you know an intersting public collection (Museum) to visit let it known, so that other olso kan visit them.

Royal Army Museum Brussels

Mus?e de l'Arm?e Paris

Mus?e de l'Ordre de la L?gion d'honneur Paris

Mus?e de l'Ordre de la Liberation Paris

Paleis het Loo Appeldoorn

Rozenborg Castle Copenhagen

below the decorations of General de Gaulle in the Mus?e de la liberation in Paris

Edited by g_deploige

• Replies 75
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The challenge (or mission) is ambitious, as there are a number of them all around the world... But interesting.

Moreover, some Museums are not dedicated to orders and medals, but to a period or event of history and, as such, exhibit awards.

That's the case, for example of WW1 french Museums in the East and North of France (Verdun...), La Somme... of WW2 Museums or Memorials (Normandy, Caen... Atlantic Wall...) or the Normandie Niemen's one... And abroad, let's think about London, Berlin, StPetersburg, Moscow, the US, Korea, the Middle-East...

I agree this thread should be moved.

Ch.

in these War Museums are very often displayed orders and medals...

I agree completely : years ago I visited the landing beaches and other interesting spots in Normandy and found that even the small local museums had managed to have some medals and their recipient's stories on display - always nice to gather the historical background on those ribboned pieces of metal :P

Christophe, thanks for the link to the Normandie-Niemen - I very much enjoyed visiting the site.

:beer:

Hendrik

(...)

Christophe, thanks for the link to the Normandie-Niemen - I very much enjoyed visiting the site.

:beer:

Hendrik

;) This small Museum is very interesting. It is really worth the visit!! :jumping::jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Here some photos of some decorations of this museum in Moscow

Very nice pics of the uniforms of Soviet Marshals Konstantin Konstantinovich Rokossovski and Fedor Ivanovich Tolbukhin.

I would love to see these... :love:

Cheers.

Ch.

you would think they would put the order of victory in the centre of the display as its one of the rarest awards ever!!!!!!! nice display!!

The French L?gion d'Honneur and M?daille Militaire are at the centre of the display... not so bad :P:D .

Ch.

I am going to visit the Neherlands in may, and I'm going to go to the Het Loo palace which houses the museum of the Dutch Chancellery of Orders. According to their website they hold the largest collection of orders and medals in the world, so this should be interesting! Will post pics when I return.

www.paleishetloo.nl

If my memory is OK I think that you may not take pictures in het Loo :mad: , But it is one of the most beautifull Order an Decorations collections I have ever seen, with these of the Mus?e de la L?gion d'honneur in Paris :love::love:

Located neither in Belgium or France, nor even in Europe, there is the most impressive collection I have ever seen, the Sheesh Mahal Museum collection in Patiala, Punjab, India.

For those who have not been there, the medal collection in Patiala is a definite site for pilgrimage. This is especially so now that the collection is more easily accessible to the public. In what must be one of the largest privately-assembled medal collections in the world, rivaling only the Royal Collection in the UK (but is that "private"?), the collection of Late H.H. Maharaja Bhupinder Singh of Patiala should be high on anyone's "life list" of phaleristic destinations.

To date, there is no catalogue, only a somewhat troubled coffee-table book.

A poor quality image is intended to spark interest. Part of one room (out of nine!).

Edited by Ed_Haynes