News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Orders medals and decorations in Public Collections

• Replies 75
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some fantastic orders there. My favourite is the Order of St Michel awarde by Louis XIV to the Dutch merchant Huydecouper, mid 17th century with original bestowal document.

Paul

Great Pictures, I think I will have to visit this museum myself once....

But then... when ?

Will have to mark this place as a "thing-to-do"!

Jacky, you definitely should go there. apart from the Palace itself and the gardens which are very nice, the Chancellery museum is awesome! There is way, way more than the pics show.

Paul, you're right. The French royal orders they have are beautiful and also a favourite of mine. I especially like the order of the Garter set though...my all-time favourite piece! I"ve never seen worksmanship like that on the Collar of the Garter...it's simply astounding.

Quite right - Kingdom of Egypt Order of the Nile, Grand Commander (Blue ribbon with yellow edges).

Other ones are: -

Green with double red edge: Tunisia Order of the Republic.

Red with yellow edge: Ethiopia Order of the Trinity

Yellow with green & red edge stripes: Ethiopia Order of Emperor Menelik II

Green, yellow & red ribbon: Ethiopia Order of the Star of Ethiopia

Thanks Megan,

As you can see, they have quite the nice collection.

Matt.

Quite right - Kingdom of Egypt Order of the Nile, Grand Commander (Blue ribbon with yellow edges).

Other ones are: -

Green with double red edge: Tunisia Order of the Republic.

Red with yellow edge: Ethiopia Order of the Trinity

Yellow with green & red edge stripes: Ethiopia Order of Emperor Menelik II

Green, yellow & red ribbon: Ethiopia Order of the Star of Ethiopia

Prince Bernhard's awards are there. His Militaire Willemsorde 2nd class is quite something! Prince Claus and Queen Wilhelmina's are also there, but I'm not sure about Queen Juliana. I don't recall, although I would expect so.

Well worth seeing!

Are the decorations of queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard also in the museum?

Prince Bernhard's awards are there. His Militaire Willemsorde 2nd class is quite something! Prince Claus and Queen Wilhelmina's are also there, but I'm not sure about Queen Juliana. I don't recall, although I would expect so.

Well worth seeing!

Only part of their decorations are in the museum. The rest is at the Royal House Archive in The Hague.

The collection of the Chancellary Museum has over 20.000 pieces. It?s one of the largest collections on the European mainland.

And although I love seeing pictures, as a committee member of one of the Societies connected to the Chancellary Museum I do have to ask not to post any more pictures of the collection please. The Museum?s policy on taking pictures is quite clear: none are to be taken and none are to be published without permission!

Then, Erik, perhaps you could use your 'insider knowledge' to point us in the right direction to the person who is able to grant permission... as it is verging on sinful that such wonderful material cannot be shared.

• 7 years later...

Hi -

I'm new to this site and read that there was not much info on Czechoslovakia in this forum.

I have a nice assortment of medals and orders from pre war that I have collected one piece at a time.

I also have a collection of Polish items from early 1900's thru 1945

Ditto for Finland.

If interested, please check out:    www.flickr.com/photos/roberts_tables

Not shown are my Polish-American awards thru the same period.

Selling selectively - inquire.

Thanks for reading.

Polishboy2