News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Drilled medal

Hi all,

Are medals drilled to prove if they are genuine? 

Never really seen this before but assume it may be some form or test, it not broach or has any other marks.

Thanks for your help.

Screenshot_20180906-115358.png

I can't imagine them being drilled to test if genuine.

Is there only the one hole? 

Just guessing but if there's another hole on the opposite side could it have been a brooch where the obverse or reverse of the medal could be turned to make either side visible? 

The hole is directly below the swivel so it is possible, doesn't look as though that part has been removed but could have been mounted. I've never seen it before but I'm new to collecting.

I have seen medals, over the years, with various holes and slots carved in them.  Decades ago I handled a clutch of Victorian campaign medals which had been mounted on silver legs and had slots in the top edges, all suspenders gone, for use as place card holders.  What a desecration!

This may be something similar - modified by someone to create a piece of jewellery or a 'knickknack'/ table ornament/ etc. :(