News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DDR Mauser K98

Hi all,

I hope this isn't considered off topic... I figure it's DDR militaria so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I purchased this K98 Mauser about seven years ago if memory serves. I wanted something I could use but not worry about like I would about a pristine perfect example. I paid $100 for it at the time.

I later decided to trade it for some East German militaria I wanted... yeah, go figure! :speechless::banger: But hey, it all turned out rather well in the long run. :D

DDRMauser1.jpg

DDRMauser2.jpg

DDRMauser3.jpg

Edited by Hauptmann
    Replace pics.

The gentleman I traded it to cleaned it up a bit that night and emailed me the next day. He told me he'd discoved that it had DDR markings for the Ministerium des Innerns or Ministry of the Interior... ie: Grenztruppen (Borderguards).

DDRMauser4.jpg.068fdca0fb2cb8ab043ad82cec3d1c32.jpg

DDRMauser5.jpg.803ca76326462ac8514f24f040528ae4.jpg

See the MdI in the picture? That's it! Also that triangle.

He said they were both marks of the DDR MdI. He wanted to offer it back to me since I had a good bit of Grenztruppen material in my collection. He said he'd either sell or trade it back to me for what we'd originally done on it which was the $100 which I thought was extremely fair.

It took a couple of months but I finally worked it out and I've had it ever since.

It has mismatched numbers on some of the parts which he said was normal for early DDR weapons as they were using whatever they could get their hands on. As long as they worked they were reissued after any necessary repairs were made, the new markings added and final inspections were completed. This particular one even still has it's original Waffenamt stamps!

I'd love to hear either any additional info any of you might have on these rifles as well as any other DDR marked weapons.

As I write this I'm watching... well listening :rolleyes: to a documentary on the Berlin wall. Having things like this certainly bring this history closer to home. It's a great piece and I'm so glad I was able to get it back. :jumping:

So come on folks... lets see some DDR firearms! :cheers:

Thanks for looking,

Dan

Edited by Hauptmann

MdI stands for Ministerium des Innern so this rifle could have been used by a number of MdI "bewaffneten" organizations including police, customs and the Kampfgruppen der Arbeiterklasse and even an early form of the Army called the Kasernierte Volkspolizei (KVP) which existed from 1952-57 and which used a number of repurposed WWII Wehrmacht weapons. Kevin

MdI stands for Ministerium des Innern so this rifle could have been used by a number of MdI "bewaffneten" organizations including police, customs and the Kampfgruppen der Arbeiterklasse and even an early form of the Army called the Kasernierte Volkspolizei (KVP) which existed from 1952-57 and which used a number of repurposed WWII Wehrmacht weapons. Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the additional info! :cheers: That's one thing I love about this group... someone always has the answers to questions and boatloads of info that makes everything that much more enjoyable. :D

I kind of suspected that it could also be police but didn't think of those other organizations. Wish there was a way to nail it down more specifically. But I'm just so happy I got her back. there's a ton of history there from WWII right on up. :D Now all I need to do is get a cleaning rod for her and she'll be all set. :rolleyes:

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

No problem, There is a DDR forum on the Werhmacht Awards website at: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64 Where they talk about this kind of stuff from time to time. The East Germans were extremely thrifty and recycled everything, why waste good WWII weapons when you have thousands lying around. Others think that at least initally, the Russians didn't trust the East Germans with more modern weapons. Of course at the time they were taking everything that wasn't nailed down in the "Soviet Zone" as war reperations, so there probably was not much of an industrial base left to produce newer weapons. Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for that info. Didn't know they were covering that over there. I'll have to run over and check it out when things calm down a bit over here.

And yes, that's what I'd heard from the guy I did the trading with and got it back from. Basically anything they could scrounge, the theory was if it worked or could be made to work with very little effort and the parts on hand they used it.

I really do love the old girl and am so glad I got her back. Didn't really want to trade it to begin with but was torn as didn't want to lose the other stuff I got and figured I could always pick up another one. Was just one of those "meant to be" things. :D

Only thing is, I've never fired her. I hope to this summer as soon as I decide to plunk down the money and buy a few rounds. I only have a few pieces in my collection that I haven't fired. I finally was given some ammo by some friends who used to hunt on our place so I could fire my Nambu. Only fired like two or three rounds and saved the rest. And I hear their firing pins are rather fragile so didn't want to push my luck. I have a couple of Arisaka's and a Moisen Nagant revolver that I've not fired but other than the older more fragile stuff I think I've shot everything else. :cheers:

Dan

You did very well... 100 dollars for such an rare piece of history!! Aside for StG44s and pistols, I have not seen too many weapons with duel Third Reich and DDR markings.... Nice!!!

The only duel marked weapon I have is a Finnish captured SVT40! I have a soft spot for these weapons.

You did very well... 100 dollars for such an rare piece of history!! Aside for StG44s and pistols, I have not seen too many weapons with duel Third Reich and DDR markings.... Nice!!!

The only duel marked weapon I have is a Finnish captured SVT40! I have a soft spot for these weapons.

Hi Paul,

Whew! I sure needed some "good" news after that medal bar debacle. Feeling like an absolute idiot right now! :banger::speechless:

I'm sure part of it is that I don't as yet have the McDaniel book... I've wanted it since it originally came out but it seems like every time I get that much money together... upwards of $100 as I'm sure you know, something else comes along and sucks it up and then I have to start all over again.

I keep looking for used copies for a bit less but seems every time they show up on Ebay, which is the only place I've seen them used, they go up, up, up into the upper stratasphere. So looks like I'm just plain stuck getting a new copy from the one source that seems to still have a large supply. Not sure how much my pay from my second job is going to be this time but it should be pretty good. If it's "good enough" I may try to go ahead and order the book. I'm sure that will be a huge education in an of itself, as is being a member here for sure. :cheers:

But glad to hear that I did good on the rifle. Just out of curiosity but what would you estimate it's value at? I know that's a toughie as alot depends on the bore (which is in very nice shape), bluing (again looks fine), etc. But this is one "major" problem I have. I don't have any earthly idea how much stuff I actually have all told or any idea what it's all worth. I'd always try to get things for the absolute cheapest price possible, with the exception of a very few things I just had to have whatever it cost... and that was rare.

Anyhow guess I'm off to the next few replies and then hoping to post some more of my numbered Soviet pieces and perhaps a bit more before the night is through.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Hi Dan,

There is no need to feel like an idiot. It is the fault of the criminals who want to take advantage of people who dont have the experience.

You definately need to get that book. I have 1,000s of dollars worth of reference books. (I have several collecting fields). Although the McDaniel's book is expensive, how much did you spend on the bad items you have posted here alone? Over time, that 100 dollar book will save you so much more than your intial investment.

Before you buy one more item, BUY THE BOOK! :cheeky:

Hi Dan,

There is no need to feel like an idiot. It is the fault of the criminals who want to take advantage of people who dont have the experience.

You definately need to get that book. I have 1,000s of dollars worth of reference books. (I have several collecting fields). Although the McDaniel's book is expensive, how much did you spend on the bad items you have posted here alone? Over time, that 100 dollar book will save you so much more than your intial investment.

Before you buy one more item, BUY THE BOOK! :cheeky:

Hi Paul,

Sorry... guess it just caught me on a low eb that night along with some other things going on in our lives right now at work, etc. It's been nuts. And I guess it just threw me back to my early days in TR and all (read my post on my cased 1939 1st Class IC). Had kinda hoped I was beyond that sort of thing after all my years of collecting. Felt I was getting a handle on the Soviet stuff. And I've also got a ton of refs... been lucky in finding them on good sales and such over time. But the thirst for knowledge physically hurts at times! I kid you not. Of course you probably understand exactly where I'm coming from. As supportive as my wife has been over the years, and the fact that she heartily approved the Soviet move as A) it didn't have quite the negative connotations of the TR plus B) she also is a big fan of enamel. She saw these Soviet pieces and was sold! But still, to put out $100 on a reference she thinks I'm nuts. Granted, I'd love to find it cheaper used (who wouldn't) as I'm one who will haunt the bargain book sections in bookstores looking for deals. But these being so specialized plus going out of print fairly fast makes for an expensive book.

Sigh. Just one of those things we all have to get through. I'm hoping against hope I'll have enough coming in tomorrow that I can go ahead and go for it. Was supposed to do it back in October when I sold a bunch of my TR stuff. But 95% of that got sucked up into household and things for my wife Kim and son Nick. Wasn't supposed to be that way but you know how that goes. Family comes first, household comes first. So been waiting and trying to get enough saved up ever since.

If nothing else I'm contemplating selling a bit more TR stuff in order to have enough to get ahead of the game hobby wise again. My biggest problem is pricing... I've been far too out of the loop for way to long on that stuff. I have a very nice SA buckle... did a google search and found one that looks awful by comparison and that was like $130... saw them down to the $70 range I believe. No idea if this is correct or what. According to the pricey one, which mine looks identical to, it's an early 1st type... I believe that's what it said. I never specialized in buckles... I've always gotten whatever I liked at the time. So never even knew they had types, etc.

I'd just want fair prices for anything I sell but want the buyer to be happy to. I've had to sell off things that were near and dear to me in the past when times got hard for whatever reason and we needed the money. And of course when one does that in those circumstances you're at the mercy of others. Let's just say most were not terribly merciful. I'm at the stage where I'd rather keep something than give it away for a tenth of what it's worth. Am sure you are with me on that.

Anyhow I'm right there with you on the refs and will continue to make a concerted effort to get Paul's book asap pdq. :cheers:

And many thanks for making me feel alot less idiotic than I felt the other night. :D:beer:

Dan

• 15 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...