News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Naval Records

I wonder if anyone can advise me on the next step in searching for my grandfathers naval records, I have practically no information, we have a photo that has been identified as a Royal Navy WW1 uniform, a naval charity has searched records and hasn’t been able to find anything, i’ve Tried a military website to no avail, any advice would be most welcomed...

thanks 

I believe records can be found online up till sometime in the 1920s however, if you're not able to check online and no one here is able to help, then the National Archives is probably the only option.

If your grandfather served at a later date, contacting the MOD is the way to go https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

As Owen has mentioned, details will help.

On 21/09/2018 at 01:32, Owen said:

If you can provide details of his full name and date of birth/death then I will have a look for you.  Any other details would help, such as wife's name, where born/died.

Owen

Thank you Owen, can I message you privately?

On 21/09/2018 at 01:32, Owen said:

If you can provide details of his full name and date of birth/death then I will have a look for you.  Any other details would help, such as wife's name, where born/died.

Owen

Thank you Owen, can I message you privately?

Hi Owen, is this a privately message having trouble working out if this is the public forum?

Hi Jordan, no not private - you are on the open forum.  I have just sent you a Private Message, so easier for you to reply to that.  Basically, if you click on my name, above my avatar, on any of my posts within the thread, it will take you to my profile and you should see an envelope at the top with message written by it...that's the fella you need to send a PM.

Owen

• 3 weeks later...

For pre-1928 RN service records you can search, buy & download them here for a couple of quid:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/royal-navy-ratings-service-records-1853-1928/

Other options for later records are listed here:

http://www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk/Records_page.htm

Edited by hucks216