News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello!

I´ d like to ID the officers of the photos. Any ideas?

I think the Generaladjutant is v. Plessen, isn´t he?

The officer right of him (2nd photo) could be russian or bulgarian.

Thanks a lot, mates!

1.jpg

1a.jpg

2.jpg

2a.jpg

2b.jpg

2c.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

Andy,

I answered over at Feldgrau but for the users here, the officer  in the second picture is Flügeladjutant (ADC) Oberst Otto von Estorff. He is shown conversing with Greek Colonel Karakalos at Görlitz railway station on 28 September 1916.

Regards

Glenn

Hello : von Erstorff was Flugeladjutant to Wilhelm II . He was send to manage the highly delicate situation of the Greek Army Corps that during the Bugarian advance against Serbia left behind the front . Colonel Karakallos was the Army Corps commander .he and the whole Corps were transported to Gorlitz and later to Greece

Hello!

Thank you very, very much for your help! The info about the greek officer is great! I coud´t believe. one could identify him!

Super work, mates!!!!

Did you know, that when in Thessaloniki parts of the Greek troops ran over to the Entente, one was afraid that the Greek IV corps in Kavala could act the same way?
    It follows from this that the OHL, in agreement with the Bulgarian army leadership, established links with the corps in order to "evacuate" it.
    The leader of the Greek Corps agreed that the soldiers should be treated as guests and allowed to keep their weapons.
    This was granted and the Greeks (nearly 7000 men) were transported to Görlitz on September 15, 1916, where they officially stayed until 1919 and some even settled there and still have descendants there today!

The IV Corps
    Staff: Kavala (4.Kav.Rgt., 7.Feldart.Rgt., 4.Pi.Rgt., 4.Trsp.Btl., 4.San.Btl.)
    5.Div.: Dráma (22.Inf.Rgt., 3/37 Cretan Rgt., 5.Geb.Art.Btl.)
    6.Div.: Séres (Inf.Rgt.16-18, 6.Geb.Art.Btl.)
    7.div.: Kavála (Inf.Rgt.19-20, 2/21 Cretan Rgt., 7.Geb.Art.Btl.)
    Note "3/37 Cretan Rgt.". means: 3rd Cretan Regiment (serial number 37)
    Organizational:
    The Greek army consisted of 5 army corps with 14 divisions.
    A corps usually consisted of one Kav.Rgt. (480 men, with 4 Eskadrons with 120 men each), one Art.Rgt. with four battalions (V.Korps only three battalions), each with three batteries of 153 men, one Pioneer-Rgt. with six companies (V.Korps only 1 battalion with 4 companies), one Trsp.Btl. with 3 Kp. (V.Korps only 2 Kp.), one San.Btl.
    One division consisted of three Inf.Rgt. (5.Div. only two) to three battalions with 1045 men each (each battalion had three Kp. with 253 men), plus one MG-train.
    In addition there was one Btl. each with three batteries of 103 men each).
    Altogether there were 41 infantry regiments, 33 of them line regiments, five "Evzone" (Elite) regiments and three Cretan regiments.

Edited by The Prussian

Hello!

I´m not quite sure. According to ranklist 1914 he had:

RAO3 with bow and crown

KO3

Johanniter (knight)

SA3: saxon Albrecht knightcross 1.class

GE2b: greek saviour commander cross

GV3: britain Victoria commander cross

RA2:  russian St. Annen medal 2. class

The prussian , I discovered another information , the commander of the IV Greek Army Corps was Colonel Ioannis Hatzopoulos .an Artillerymen who died in Gorlitz the 21 st of April of 1918. the book were i saw the pic and read the caption saids Colonel Karakallos with Erstorff . so the second named must have take command after Hatzopoulos death .

22 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

That seems to be right.

Hatzopoulus was commander of the IV.Army Corps and Karakollos was commander of Kawala. Or do I mix something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ioannis_Hatzopoulos

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=101026

Hello The Prussian , All right , but as with all the related to the Balkans included Greece this history of the Army Corp is plenty of not clear circumstances .example the manpower of the Corps , other, they not surrended ,obeying orders of the legitime government ,they retired with their armament and organization .if the historian is Greek is not imparcial , if French ,also, i am referring to the contemporary .