News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tales from the station cat...............

Thought I'd try and get the ball rolling with this one.

It relates to an officer from G Division of the Metropolitan Police.

During my research into him I discovered that he was first on the scene at a double murder at Clerkenwell in 1896.

Back in the day it was big news, but over the last 100 years or so has slipped from the public conscience and is little known now. Perhaps this post will change all that..................? 

Robert WAGG

Born 14th Feb 1873 St Buchanan Near King's Lyn, Norfolk. 

Joined 23.04.1894 (aged 21) warrant number 79498 posted to G Division
    Height 5`9" 
    Weight 12 stone 9 Lbs 
    Chest 35.5 inches 
    Complexion Dark 
    Eyes Dark Brown 
    Hair Brown. 
    Occupation porter (Great Eastern Railway - Bishopsgate) 
    Martial status - single.

Wednesday 8th July 1896 - Coroner's Court Double Murder of James & Emma Riley by Elijah Galley. 

Robert Wagg Police Constable 328G 
    On Saturday last July 4th at 10:15 PM, I was in North Street, Caledonian Road, when a man unknown to me came up and said a man and a woman were killed at 40 North Street. I went to the house and passed the little girl, Alice Riley on the stairs as I was going down to the kitchens At the doorway of the front kitchen a man and woman were lying apparently dead. The man was lying on his face in a pool of blood and the woman close to him on her face with blood on her forehead. I got the assistance of another Police Constable 330G and sent for Dr Rains. I saw a poker lying on the womans body and there was blood in different parts of the room - front kitchen. I went to the Police Station and on my return found Dr Rains in the kitchen. 
    Cross examined -
    I did not search the back room. I saw Mr Galley outside his shop not more than five minutes before I was called to 40 North Street. 

Also gave evidence at the Old Bailey, for the same case

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse. ... #highlight

14th Feb 1897 Marries Harriett at St Mark's Church Clerkenwell his address given as 76 King's Cross Road (Police Station).

1901 census couple (and two children Ivy & Robert) living at 10 Brewer Street North Clerkenwell

Islington Daily Gazette and North London Tribune
    Wednesday 28th June 1905
    The Pentonville Tragedy 
    Yesterday afternoon Mr Walter Schroder Deputy-Coroner for Central London, held an inquest at the St Pancras Coroner's Court relative to the death of Charles Henry Mesinal aged 70 years, a cabman, lately living at 17, Affleck Street, Pentonville Road, who died from self inflicted wounds.
    Esther Hammick, living at 17 Affleck Street Pentonville Road a widow who lived with the deceased stated that the deceased a cabman, htree months ago had an accident. He was thrown from his cab and his spine was injured. Dr Macfee attended to him. He improved in health till a fortnight ago, when he took to drinking brandy and became very strange in his mind. On Friday morning she awoke and then found the deceased standing over her with a knife. She found that he had stabbed her arm. She struggled with him and he stabbed her in the breast. She got away from him and called for the police. Both of them were afterwards taken to the Royal Free Hospital. Deceased died on Saturday evening. Six weeks ago he threatened to throw himself out of the window, so she watched him and prevented him from doing so. 
    Dr Arthur Stanley Woodward, resident medical officer of the Royal Free Hospital, Gray's Inn Road stated that on admission he found deceased suffering from a number of stabs over both arms and over the heart and stomach and deceased told him that he had inflicted the injuries himself. The injuries were somewhat serious and caused severe shock. The wound in the stomach was 2 and a half inches long and very serious injuring the liver and bruising the heart. On making a post mortem examination of the body he found that there were 30 stabs on one arm and two stabs on the other arm. There were 23 stabs over the heart and five or six stabs in the abdoment. Death was due to shock and bronchitis combined with the injuries. The deceased told them that the reason that he had inflicted the injuries was that he had no money and that he was going to the infirmary on Friday and sooner than do so he decided to commit suicide. He also stated that he stabbed the woman he lived with simply because he was worried. 
    Thomas Hammick son of the first witness gave evidence confirmatory to that given by the mother.
    Police Sereant Edwin Matthewson 37G said that at twnety past five on Friday morning he was called to the house and found Mrs Hammick there injured. Deceased had barricaded the door with chains and the table, so he forced the door. On entering he found the deceased seated on the bed holding the knife in his hand. He was bleeding from wounds in the abdomen. He said "I wish I'd killed her. I wish I was dead. The knife was not sharp enough, or I should have been dead before you got into the room. You can take me now". Dr Caunter, the police surgeon was called after which the man and women were tkane to the Royal Free Hospital. The room was in great disorder as if there had been a severe struggle. 
    Police Constable Robert Wagg 328G, gave simialr evidence.
    The jury returned a veredict of "suicide whilst temporarily insane" and complimented Police Sergeant 37G for rendering first aid to the deceased. 

Dismissed 17.03.1908 G Division Police orders records the following as the reason for his dismissal ‘Improperly arresting two persons on an unfounded charge and complained of by one of them for assault; further, using abusive language towards witnesses, and considered unfit for the police force.’

Entitled two 1897 Jubilee Medal & 1902 Coronation Medal

Islington Daily Gazette and North London Tribune
    Monday 11th July 1910
    A double charge
    At the Clerkenwell Police Court on Friday before Mr Cluer
    Alfred Bass 31 a table maker of Britannia Street, Hoxton was charged on a warrant with assaulting Robert Wagg at the Angel public house, High Street, Clerkenwell.
    Mr W T Ricketts prosecuted.
    The prosecutor said he was doorman at the "Funland" Upper Street. About a month ago he ejected the prisoner and another man from those premises. Bass then threatened him. On Monday last witness was in the Angle having finished his day's work and the prisoner saw him. "Here is that blank blank" said the prisoner and he took up a glass said Wagg hurled it at him and ran off. Prosecutor was cut on the right eye and went off to the police station and then to the hospital. Bass said he was not at the house at all and knew nothing of the assault. Mr Cluer said there must be some witness. Wagg said they were afraid to come. Mr Cluer said they must. Bass was next charged with unlawful possession of five blank cheques on the National Bank Limited, King's Cross Branch, at King's Cross Road. Police Constable Pickard 381G said he arrested and found the cheques upon him, inside the left leg of his pants concealed in a cigerette case. Prisoner said he found them about eight days ago in King's Cross Road. Mr Cluer said the cheques had been lost and asked for a remand. The case was accordingly remanded, prisoner allowed bail. 

Islington Daily Gazette and North London Tribune Monday 25th July 1910
    A Doorkeeper's Complaint
    At the Clerkenwell Police Court, Alfred Bass 31 tablemaker was charged with assaulting Robert Wagg doorkepper at Funland Upper Street. This charge was now withdrawn in consequence of the fact that the man's arrest led to graver allegations. He was charged with breaking and entering number 7 Crownsdale Road St Pancras and stealing blank cheques the property of John Howard sub-postmaster. The blank cheques were it was stated by Police Constable Pickard found in a cigerette case concealed inside the left leg of his pants. Further inquiry led to a charge of forging and uttering a cheque for £4 17s. Frederick Westbury of Dover Street, Southwark said the prisoner brought an order for bamboo articles and paid for them by cheque. here was £4 0s 6d change for the prisoner. The cheque was returned by the bank. The doorkeeper Wagg now complained that he has been discharged from his employment because his employees were afraif of the gang of roughs he may have stirred up by having prisoner arrested. Mr Cluer- If that is the reason it seems hardly fair, since you have been largely instrumental in bringing a man to trail on serious charges. The case was sent to the Central Criminal Court.

1911 Census couple living (with Ivy & Robert) at 12 Cynthia Street (Pentonville Road) - Robert is recorded as being out of work.

He died on the 11th August 1947 at the Archway Hospital Highgate, leaving an estate of £423 3s & 3d, aged 72.

Wagg medal.jpg

Elijah Galley 001.jpg

Elijah Galley 002.jpgImage may contain: tree, car, plant and outdoorImage may contain: 1 personImage may contain: text

Constable Robert WAGG 328G Islington Gazette

Wednesday 1st December 1897 Assaulting the police 
    Assaulting the Police. Mary Ann Kills, 49. a machinist, of Northampton Road, Clerkenwell, was charged with being drunk and with assaulting Police-constable Wagg. 329 G. Warner-street, Clerkenwell. The officer said that on Saturday evening the prisoner, who was very drunk m refused to move on and struck him in the mouth. Defendant said the assault was accident done in the struggle when the officer twisted her arm. She had only been in the public house to have some rum hot as the day was wet and she bad a cold. Mr. Bros fined her 10s., or seven days’ imprisonment in default.

Saturday 4th June 1898 
    A HARD CASE. Ellen Joslin. aged married, of 1 Attneave Street. Clerkenwell. was charged with stealing from No. 13. Yardley-street, a loaf, value 3 3/4d the property Griffith Evans, dairyman. Prosecutor mid the prisoner entered his shop for half pint of milk and asked the loan of can. While bo was finding a can bo saw her place a loaf under her cape. She paid for the milk and left the shop. went after her, and gave her into custody. Police-constable Wagg, 328 G, said that, acting under the instructions of his inspector, ha bad made inquiries concerning the woman, and it was a very hard case. Her husband was out seeking for work. Mid there was not particle of food in the place for their three young children- The woman bore a good character, and the children wens spotlessly clean. Mr. Horace Smith (to prisoner): Why don’t you come here for assistance, and not steal ? Prisoner, weeping, said she was very sorry that she bad been so tempted. The magistrate directed that the woman should have assistance, and discharged her. 

Tuesday 3rd July 1900 EX CONSTABLE.[/b]
    An ex-constable Walter LOCKNEY 27 address and occupation refused, was charged with disorderly conduct and assaulting Police Constable Wagg 328G at Pentonville Road, Islington.On being arrested for disorderly behaviour the prisoner threw the officer to the ground and kicked him on the right knee.Prisoner has been in the force himself and has often been before the court for offences similar to the present one. It took four officers to remove the prisoner from the charge room to the station cell and he assaulted two of them on the way one of them being Constable WAGG, when he again attacked striking him about the head and chest.The alledged disorderly conduct consisyed of pushing people from the pavement by pretended drunkeness.Prisoner on oath denied the allegations against him and said the police made a dead set against him because he had formerly been a constable. His throwing WAGG to the gorund was the result of accident. He had only been fetched out of prison by his wife just before this occurred. Mr Chapman said he could not overlook the conduct of the prisoner who ought to have known so well how to behave himself towards the police. He would go to prison for one month's hard labour. 

Tuesday 13th May 1902
    WINDOW SMASH Charles Bell, 36, a carman, of Benjamin street, Clerkenwell, was charged at Clerkenwell Poiite-court yesterday with breaking a plate glass window at the " Red Lion," Red Lion Street Clerkenwell, value £12, the property of Sidney Smith. Mrs. Smith said on Saturday afternoon she refused to serve the prisoner with liquor. He bent over the bar, seized her by the throat, and said, " If you don't I'll smash your window." He afterwards turned and struck a plate-glass window with his fist. smashing the glass and doing damage to the amount of £12. He ran out of the house, but was followed and arrested by Police-constable Wagg. Mr. D'Eyneourt committed the prisoner for trial. 

Tuesday 3rd June 1902 Busy on the roof
    BUSY ON THE ROOF, Thomas Peters, I8, a labourer, of Goswell road, Clerkenwell, and William Hodgson, 18, a cycle cleaner, of Ware-street, Hoxton, were charged at Clerkeuwell Police-court yesterday with attempting to steal a quantity of lead from the roof of unoccupied premises at Jerusalem court, Clerkenwell. Police-constable Wagg, 323 G, said on Saturday evening he saw the two prisoners on the roof of No. 4, Jerusalem-court. Hodgson had an axe and a hammer in his possession, and was busy cutting away lead, while Peters was pulling off the pieces dislodged and packing them up. When the officer appeared on the roof the prisoners in their anxiety to make good their escape trod on a skylight, and both fell through the glass. Peters called out to his companion, "Give in ,we are fairly copped ' this time." Mr. Bros sent Hodgson to prison for three imonths, and Peters for six weeks. 

Tuesday 22nd July 1902 Islington Daily Gazette
    A BRUTAL ASSAULT. John May, 30, a carman, of 1, Mary Ann street, St. George's, E, was charged with assaulting James Cross, a tram car Conductor, Clerkenwell Road. The complainant said on Sunday night the prisoner jumped on to his car, seized him by the throat, punched him in the face, and kicked him in the groin. He did not know why the prisoner attacked him, but he had evidently been drinking. A crowd quickly collected, and the complainant and the prisoner fell to the ground together. Police Constable Wagg came up, and May was given into his custody. Mr.'d'Eyncoart--It is a brutal assault without any provocation. Two months' hard labour.

Wednesday 6th August 1902 Scene in the Caledonian Road
    SCENE IN THE CALEDONIAN ROAD. 
    Yesterday, at the Clerkenwell Police - court, James Brady,26, and Edward Brady, 24, bcth warehousemen, of All Saints street, N., were charged with assaulting Police-constable Wag, 328 G. James was further charged with assaulting Police-constable Newcombe, 370 G and Edward with assaulting John Alexander, a compositor, at Caledonian-road. Mr. Weaver Mallard defended. Police-constable Wagg deposed that at 3:15 that morning he saw the two defendants outside a coffee-stall in Caledonian-road. As witness, approached one of them said, "Here comes ***** rozzer." Witness advised them to go away, when James Brady struck him a violent blow in the face felling him to the ground. The other defendant also assaulted him while he was on the ground. He got up and was, again knocked to the ground. Others came up. and the attitude of the crowd was so violent that witness was forced to draw his truncheon, and he struck James with it. Previously someone had snatched his whistle away. After a little time two policemen and a civilian came to his assistance, and they were also badly assaulted by the two prisoner.Cross examined -He was annoyed at bei;s called a "rozzer." He did not offer to fight them, or say they were not going to take a "rise" out of him. Police-constable Newcombe said when he arrived on the scene the last witness was surrounded by several men. He seized James Brady, when the latter kicked him on the knee and threw him violently to the ground. John Alexander, of 51, Offord-road, deposed that he seized Edward Brady, who was stooping over Police-constable WAGG, when the prisoner struck him to the ground and kicked hint violently in the mouth. His lip was cut very badly, and had to be stitched up at the station.. He was also bruised about the head, his hat was smashed, and he had lost his stick. Prisoners elected to give evidence on their own behalf. James Brady said be and his brother had returned from a holiday outing,and were having a cup of coffee at a stall, practically outside their residence. Police-constable Wagg came up and said, "Not so much of the rosser,'" and subsequently remarked, " Push off of this." Witness went on drinking his coffee, when the constable challenged him to fight. He refused, and the constable called witness a coward. After that witness said, "I'll oblige you," and walked towards the constable, when the-latter drew het truncheon and struck him across the jaw With it. He closed with the constable, and' they fell to the ground. The other constable then came up. After being on the ground some time witness was allowed to get up, when Police Constable Wagg struck him twice over the head with his truncheon. Edward Brady corroborated his brother's evidence. With regard to John Alexander be admtlted striking him, but only after Alexander had struck him on the hat with his walking. stick. Mr. Bros sent James Brady to gaol for six weeks; and fined Edward Brady 40s. and 20s costs.

Friday 8th August 1902 Saturday

FRIDAY, AUGUST 8, 1902. 
    THE COFFEE STALL DANGER.
    The circumstances of the manslaughter of Mr Spicer in Eustont Road are so recent that importance is given to a cowardly attack upon two Police Constables at a coffee-stall in Caledonian- road, and for which one man was sent to prison and another was bound over to keep the peace. We hesitate to condemn any good thing because it is misused, and therefore in view of the advantages which the coffee stall offers to the early morning and night workers we are unwilling to condemn it because it. becomes the rendezvous of night prowlers who are professional outlaws or who belong to the rank and file of the homeless Hooligan ready out of pure devilry to engage in any war with peaceful citizens. That it meets a want in the earlier hours of the night is doubtful, for ordinary refreshment houses are open until past midnight, and the majority of early birds in the industrial world do not require breakfast until a much later hour, indeed, until five or six in the morning. It could not be said that a quarter-past three a.m. was a breakfast hour, and it was at that time that Police-constable Wagg approaching a coffee stall in Caledonian-road heard some men say "Here comes a rozzer " (i.e., a policeman). The expression was to say the least aggressive, and the constable had a perfect right to " Move on " men who thus showed their readiness to insult the officer of the peace, more; over they followed up the remark with a cowardly assault upon him, and another constable and a passing citizen who came to their assistance. Both the assailants described themselves as warehousemen who had returned from a holiday outing, and they told a singular story of the constable challenging them in the first instance to fight and one of them " obliging him." Mean- while, as in the Euston-road homicide, there was an absence of testimony from the coffee stall keeper, who ought to have been a good witness. The very fact that these men seldom remember or see anything that passes before their stalls is a presumption in favour of the terrorism that the midnight prowlers exercise over them. The principal assailant in this affray was sent to prison for six months, but his brother, who appeared to be an active partizan, got off with the binding over. Seeing that the licensing law closes even, a harmless fried fish shop at half-past twelve at night, it seems somewhat of an anomally that night birds who are turned out of refreshment houses can go direct to a coffee stall and defeat any intention the Legislature had in making the first restriction. A murder of a policeman in Whitechapel some time ago, the killing of Mr. Spicer since, and innumberable cases of robberies and assaults in the small hours directly arising from coffee stalls ought to raise the question of whether there would be any hardship in restricting the business of the coffee nab—which is a profitable venture that contributes nothing to rates and taxes—to reasonable hours in the early moring when the legitimate workman comes forth to his daily toil? There is no reason why the thief, the prostitute, the roysterers, the hooligan, or even the cabman—who has a regular " shelter" at his command—should be provided with inducements to remain in the streets at unholy hours, and they can make but a poor justification for legitimate refreshment in the first hours of the day. it seems to us that the coffee stall is the remnant of the old days of night houses, and that as the population has become the better for the abolition of those places, so a restriction should be put upon what remains of a bad old custom. Nightly disturbances, and the testimony of the police themselves that most of the people who use coffee stalls in the small hours are the enemies of law and order, should be enough to suggest proper restrictions as to hours sufficient to safeguard the early morning worker who has a right to his humble breakfast and who would in no way be inconvenienced by the prohibition of the sale of refreshments at hours when they can neither be called supper nor breakfast.

Monday 15th December 1902 Man & wife
    Man and wife
    Thomas Calvert 48 a coal porter of Hermes Hill, Pentonville was charged with assaulting his wife Louise Calevert.The complainant said her husband while they were at home the previous evening threatened to stab her with a knife. When the defendant was given into custody his wife complained that he had bitten her hand. Police Constable Wagg said he saw the defendant rush at his wife with an open knife in his hand. It was a murderous looking weapon that was taken from Calvert. Mr d'Eyncourt sent Calvert to gaol for three months and granted the wife a seperation, Calvery to pay her 6s weekly. 

Tuesday 4th August 1903 Clerkenwell 
    CLERKENWELL. Charles Parson, 21, labourer, of no fixed abode, was charged with attempting to steal a watch and chain from the person of James George, at Pentonville-road —The Prosecutor, an estate collector, was attacked by the Prisoner and two other men at midnight. They ran off after hustling him, and he then noticed that his watch chain was hanging down. He spoke to Police-constable Wagg G Division, who pursued the lads. After a chase of about 6OO yards the officer succeeded in arresting Parsons, whose progress was arrested by a private individual. The prosecutor's watch was in pocket but the bow was broken off. This was found near the spot where the prosecutor was attacked. —The Prosecutor desired acknowledge the promptitude and energy displayed by Wagg.—Mr Paul Taylor, in committing the Prisoner for trial, asked the Prosecutor to repeat his commendation the officer to the Judge the Sessions.

Tuesday 22nd September 1903 
    Alleged wounding. Yesterday, at the Clerkenwell Police-court, Alfred Crowder, 46, a costermonger, of no fix abode, was charged with maliciously wounding James Sessions, a metal polisher. The complainant was having some refreshment with a friend in the " George the Fourth " public house ' Pintonville-road, on Saturday night, when he received a blow in the back. He turned round and confronted the prisoner, who was flourishing a knife. Crowder, it was alleged, made another blow at the complainant, and Sessions, in warding it off, received the point of the blade in his right hand. Crowder was followed out, of the house and the knife taken from his possession. Police-constable Wagg, 323 G, was called and the prisoner was given into his custody. In reply to the charge, Crowder said, " The reason I did it was because be spit a mouthful of beer in my face." Mr. Bros remanded the prisoner.

Tuesday 15th March 1904 Violent Milkman
    VIOLENT MILKMAN, Robert Jones, 28, a milkman, of no fixed abode, was charged, at the Clerkenwell Policecourt yesterday, with assaulting three police officers. Police-sergeant Hammond said that the prisoner rushed up to him in Clerkenwell-close on Saturday evening, and, flourishing a poker, shouted, "Now look out for yourself." The officer took the poker from the prisoner and arrested hint. Jones then became violent, struck the sergeant in the chest, and threw him heavily , to the ground. Police Constable Waller ran up, whereupon Jones said, "Look out, I'm going to give you trouble." He then kicked out wildly, bruising Police-constable Waller in four places on the legs and kicking his right hand. He also kicked Police-constable Wagg on the left leg and was not overpowered until his boots had been removed. Aprevious conviction was proved against him, and Mr. Bros sent him to gaol for six weeks. 

Tuesday 29th March 1904 The Booze
    Thomas Bull (26), Frederick Pierce (26), and Albert Cresswell (19) were charged with assaulting Police Constable Wagg 328G, at Pentonvilleroad. Louis Lewis, 38, a carpenter, of Collier street, Islington, was charged with assaulting the same officer at the same place and John Skaggs, 24, was charged with being drunk. The officer (Wagg) said that on Sunday morning he saw a large crowd in Pentonville Road, round a coffee stall. He proceeded there and saw a man on the ground, bleeding from the mouth. All the prisoners were in the crowd standing round. The man said he did not know who struck him, and the officer requested the crowd to go away. Cresswell abused witness and then struck him in the face. The officer "made a grab " at Cresswell, and Pierce then struck him in the chest and Bull tripped him up. They then ran away, and the officer got up and followed. With assistance be succeeded in arresting Cresswell, when Lewis dealt him a blow. Eventually all the prisoners were arrested. Mr. Ricketts appeared for Pierce, and. in cross - examination, Wagg said he and his brother officers drew their truncheons, but never attempted to use them. Pierce was arrested on entering the police-station with his friend Bull. Skeggs alleged that Police-constable Wagg knocked him to the ground with a blow on the nose. This was denied by Wagg. For the defence, witnesses were called to the effect that the police were violent, and the prisoners had to defend themselves against the police. In the result, Mr. Bros fined Skaggs and Cresswell 40s and discharged Lewis, Pierce, and Bull. 

Tuesday 26th July 1904 Clerkenwell Hooliganism
    CLERKENWELL HOOLIGANISM. John Kibble, 22, and William Thompson, M, described as carmen, were charged at the Clerkenwell Police-court yesterday with assaulting the police. Both prisoners, who reside in Clerkenwell, were seen in Garnault-place at two o'clock on Sunday morning kicking a can about the roadway. Police-constable Wollard, 274 G, spoke to them, whereupon Kibble used a filthy expression. The officer seized him. Kibble became violent and threw the constable heavily to the ground. Thompson then ran up and dealt the officer three swinging blows on the head with his clenched flat. The constable drew his truncheon, but it was wrenched from his grasp by Kibble. Police-constable Wagg ran up just as Kibble was about to belabour Police-constable Wollard, and snatched away the truncheon. Kibble immediately kicked Wagg about the legs. Both prisoners were then conveyed to the station. Previous convictions were proved against the prisoners: and Mr. d'Eyncourt sent Kibble to gaol for tiwo months, and Thompson for six weeks. 

Thursday 6th October 1904 A rough neighbourhood
    ASSAULTING THE POLICE. Ellen Parsons, 37, Married, of Aylesbury Place Clerkenwell, was charged with assaulting Police Constable Wagg 328 G. The prisoner was taken into custody for behaving in a disorderly mariner and using bad language. Immediately on her arrest she spat in the officer's face. Mr. Bros ordered her to pay a fine of 40s in default, one month's imprisonment. 

20th March 1906 Troubles of the publician 
    John Murray 21 seaman of Caledonian Road, was charged with assaulting Henry Green inside the Duke of York public house, York Road by kicking him in the back. Mr Ford stated that prisoner went to the public house. He was very drunk and prosecutor a barman refused to serve him. He was requested to leave, the barman holding the door open for him. Instead of doing so, he turned savagely upon the prosecutor, stuck him, knocked him down, and kicked him about the body in the ribs and on the back. Police Constable Wagg said that he came up and stopped the prisoner from further kicking the barman. He know the prisoner as a man who had been discharged from the navy. Mr Bors fined him 40s or a month.

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Joseph DANIELS.

Joined 17th May 1886, posted to C Div PC 387 (St James). Warrant No.- 71719

10th August 1888, posted to J Div PC 223/PC 502 (Bethnal Green) and residing at 107 Lefevre Road, Bow (1888-1890). So would have been present during the Whitechapel Murders.

15th August 1890 posted to E Div PC259 (Holborn).

He received a pay increase on the 23rd May 1891.

Then on the 23rd May 1892, he died on duty, from choking to death on his own false teeth, whilst effecting an arrest.

A local paper, The Holborn and Finsbury Guardian ran the following story.
    The Danger of False Teeth
    On Wednesday evening at St Clement Danes Vestry-hall, Strand, Mr John Troutbeck, the coroner for Westminster, held an inquiry into the circumstances attending the death of Police Constable Joseph Daniels 259E aged 27 years who was killed early on Sunday morning whilst taking a prisoner to Bow Street Police Station. Superintendent Steggles of the E Division, was present, Joseph Daniels a registration agent of 9 Meeting House Lane, Peckham. Identified the deceased as his son, lately resided at Jubilee Buildings, Waterloo Road. Sometime ago he had erysipelas in the face, and the divisional surgeon ordered him to have some of his teeth extracted and replaced by false ones. These he was wearing at the time of his death, PC 379E Alfred Smith, said that on Sunday morning at about 12:20 he was in Kemble Street, Clare market, taking a prisoner to Bow Street Police Station. A crowd of several hundred persons had assembled and an attempt to rescue the man was made. Witness blew his whistle and in response the deceased came running up. He took hold of the prisoners other arm and they had only proceeded a few yards, when the witness missed the deceased, and on looking round saw him lying on the pavement. Another constable came up and witness went oh his way. PC350E William Stewart said that he was on duty in Newcastle Street when he heard the whistle blow, and on going to Kemble Street saw the two Constables with a man in custody. Witness broke through the crowd, and then he saw the deceased lying on the ground. He immediately undid his collar and sent for an ambulance, on which he conveyed the unfortunate man to the hospital. By the Coroner: the deceased was not knocked down, kicked or otherwise assaulted. Dr Eric Law Pritchard, house physician at Kings College Hospital, said that the deceased was dead when he was admitted. He made the post-mortem examination, which revealed that the deceased, was an exceedingly healthy man. Just about the larynx witness found a set of false teeth impacted, which had produced suffocation, the cause of death. The teeth were of a very inferior make, no doubt they became loosened through the deceased running, and an inspiration drew them down his throat. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death" and added that they thought the deceased was over anxious to do his duty.

Entitled to the 1887 Jubilee Medal.

Joseph married Louisa Beatrice Ridley second quarter 1885, at Camberwell.

Their first child was a daughter- Florence Ellen Daniels Birth Date: 5 Dec 1886 Birth Place: Saint Peter-great Windmill St , Westminster, London, England Baptism Date: 20 Apr 1887 Baptism Place: St Peter's, Westminster, Middlesex, England Father: Joseph Daniels Mother: Louisa Beatrice FHL Film Number: 1468962

Birth certificate of his first son Albert Henry Joseph Daniels, reveals born December 1888 but registered first quarter 1889, Bethnal Green. 
    Baptism Date:9 Dec 1902 St Paul, Westminster Bridge Road Southwark Lived at 102 or 109 Jubilee Buildings (handwriting to difficult to read).

Joseph and Louisa in the 1891 census living in Southwark.

Pension to wife and 3 children - "died from the effects of an injury received in the execution of his duty" - 'swallowed false teeth when going to assist in arrest of a prisoner' Death Register ref. - June 1892-St Giles 1b 377 age 27- died 22nd May.

Daniels 1887.jpg

Before I start I just wanted to say the presentation, research and the stories themselves, of the first two posts, was excellent.

This is ''Police Constable Jesse Barlow - I guarded Queen Victoria.

Jesse Barlow was born in Corsley, in Warminster, in Wiltshire, on the 30th of March in 1865. He joined the Metropolitan Police on the 20th of July in 1885 and was assigned to Whitehall or 'A' division. [Warrant number 70890/collar number 324A] On the 22nd of August in 1910, Police Constable Jesse Barlow retired on pension from the Metropolitan Police and Whitehall or 'A' division. Jesse Barlow retired to Yew Cottage, Bottlesford, in Pewsey, in Wiltshire.

Police Constable Jesse Barlow was awarded the following medals :-

[a] Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police Jubilee medal for 1887.

Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police Jubilee Clasp for 1897.

[c] Queen Victoria Jubilee medal in bronze for 1897 and only 890 of these medals were awarded and awarded to specially selected individuals.

[d] Metropolitan Police Coronation medal for 1902.

A collector/research who realised the rarity of the Queen Victoria medal in bronze for 1897 began the process of discovering the hidden story. This research took place between 1979 to 1981. What made Police Constable Jesse Barlow's story especially interesting was the ''family history'' that was recorded.

Summary of the family history, ''Police Constable Jesse Barlow was attached to Windsor Castle and accompanied Queen Victoria and the Royal Party to Osbourne House and Balmoral Castle on many occasions. He received gifts from Queen Victoria and Tzar Nicholas II and had been introduced to the German Emperor. Police Constable Jesse Barlow participated in Queen Victoria's funeral.'' The more we can confirm and evidence the family history, then this gives greater creditability to the whole family history story.

We Know that Police Constable Jesse Barlow sometime between the last quarter of 1887 and the beginning of 1891 was assigned to Special Duties with the Windsor Castle Precinct. It was stated there were 5 Police Constable allocated to this duty.

In the England Census of 1891, the records show that Police Constable Jesse Barlow and two of his colleagues were residing at the Police Lodge, on the Isle of Wight, as Queen Victoria was in residence at Osbourne House.

One of the stories that may give some insight into what things were like at the Royal Households, is that when Princess Ena [later to become Queen of Spain] was a little girl she would sometimes give her hoop and other outdoor toys to Police Constable Jesse Barlow to look after them. I would suspect this is more likely to have occurred at Osbourne House in the summer months.

In 1893, Jesse Barlow marries Janet May Best in Windsor, in Berkshire and it was stated that Queen Victoria gave them a beautiful Irish linen tablecloth as a wedding present. Queen Victoria was well known for her generosity for giving gifts especially at Christmas.  One of Police Constable Jesse Barlow's most precious possessions was a silver mounted and engraved walking stick which was given to him by Queen Victoria. Police Constable Jesse Barlow also owned a silver watch and chain which was decorated with an eagle. It is documented that Tzar Nicholas II visited Queen Victoria at Balmoral Castle in 1896.  It is also recorded that he gave the local Police Sergeant a diamond ring and that every on-duty Policeman received a silver watch and chain that was engraved with the Russian Eagle.

In the England Census of 1901, Police Constable Jesse Barlow and his wife and three children are residing in the family home in Springfield Road, in Clewer, in Berkshire. Police Constable Jesse Barlow is still stationed at Windsor Castle and he has already served Queen Victoria for over a decade. 

A photograph was provided by the family showing Police Constable Jesse Barlow in his Metropolitan Police uniform  and wearing his medals and standing with some other unidentified Police Constables. We can date the photograph to between the end of 1897 and the beginning of 1902 because of the medals he is wearing. The photograph was probably taken at either Osbourne House, Windsor Castle or Balmoral Castle so I think the unidentified Police Constables might belong to either Hampshire, Berkshire or Aberdeenshire Constabulary but I am not sure about that. 

At 6.30pm on the 22nd of January in 1901, Queen Victoria died at Osbourne House, on the Isle of Wight. On the 23rd and 24th of January hundreds of staff, servants and estate workers were allowed to pay their last respects, as they filed past Queen Victoria's coffin. It is almost certain the Police Constable Jesse Barlow would have been one of them and this is also the period when he would have been met the Germany Kaiser who attended Osbourne House.

The first phase of Queen Victoria's funeral journey to Windsor Castle was from Osbourne House to the pier on the Isle of Wight. Police Constable Jesse Barlow's family history states he was part of this historic procession. When studying the photographs, film still and films of this famous event, it become quite clear, that there was a Metropolitan Police presence which was located adjacent to the Royal Princess's party. It consisted of one Metropolitan Police Sergeant and three Police Constables on each side of the column and as previously said they were adjacent to the black clad Princess's and other senior female members of the party.

It took me approximately 6-12 months of luck/research to identify Police Constable Jesse Barlow as being part of the above Metropolitan Police delegation as can be evidenced by the attached photograph.  

Alan.

SS856851 (2).JPG

SS856816 (2).JPG

SS856818 (2).JPG

SS856828 (2).JPG

SS856831 (2).JPG

SS856809 (3).JPG

SS856806 (2).JPG

SS856810 (2).JPG

Police Constable Jesse Barlow.

I forgot to mention that after he retired from the Metropolitan Police and a few years later...….. his eldest son who was 18 years old, 21017 Private Herbert James Barlow of the 5th Battalion of the Wiltshire Regiment was killed at the Battle of Bait Isa, in Mesopotamia in 1916 and that his medals also remain with the family group.

Alan. 

SS856824 (2).JPG

SS856826 (2).JPG

SS856836 (2).JPG

SS856838 (2).JPG

This is a late addition to Police Sergeant Hezekiah Cook, collar number 32H......the collar number is an important piece of information that will become evident shortly.

Police Sergeant 32H Hezekiah Cook was responsible for ''Common Lodging Houses'' in Whitechapel during the Jack the Ripper murders of 1888. I was attempting to find out what his duties were when I came across this article. It is dated the 13th of October in 1888 which is right in the JTR period. 

Basically it states :-

This article relates to a robbery which you can read from the attached photographs.

P.S. 32H [Hezekiah Cook] and an Inspector were responsible for the Inspections etc of the registered Common Lodging Houses within the Whitechapel or 'H' division's area. There were 127 common lodging houses in Whitechapel in 1888 and they accommodated about 6,000 persons. They were all visited, once a week, on average. He doubted if a single registered lodging house would be found without thieves and prostitutes among its lodgers. Obviously this was common knowledge regarding the criminals and low classes that resided in these lodging houses. This article was copied and covered in many newspapers, all over the country and the story came from the Worship-street Police Court. [Magistrate Montagu Williams]

[The regulations covering common lodging houses were transferred from the Police in 1894 to the London County Council.] 

10/10/1888 The famous Henrietta Barnett [author and social reformer], wife of the Reverent Samuel Barnett, St Jude's Church, collected a petition to give to Queen Victoria. Henrietta collected 4,000 names from the ''women of Whitechapel'' begging the Queen to have the Common Lodging Houses closed down in Whitechapel.

[Many people felt that these establishments were responsible for the decline in human standards.

22/11/1888. Now we go to the House of Commons. Mr Howell asked the Home Secretary Mr Matthews whether his attention had been called to the remarks of the Metropolitan Magistrate, Mr Montagu Williams, at Worship-street Police Court, on Monday last  - namely, ''that the whole crime of the district is due to registered lodging houses...…..which are made the homes of the men who perpetrate robberies and of the words of the policemen, whom he quotes said,' they were the resort of notorious characters.'

I am not saying Police Sergeant Hezekiah Cook was the Policeman the Magistrate was quoting, I am just pointing out that being the district Police Sergeant in Whitechapel inspecting the Common Lodging Houses...…. was a highly controversial subject especially in 1888. 

Alan.

SS856862 (2).JPG

SS856865 (2).JPGSS856786 (3).JPG462797576_SS856790(2).JPG.5262059d1eeee947e63eb7955b0a504f.JPG

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Alfred Ernest SCHOLES 

Born in Derbyshire on the 31st December 1864.
    Joined Metropolitan Police on the 27th February 1888 - Warrant number 73418
    Having completed his training and being posted to D Division, he lodged in a property within Allsopp Mews, in the Marylebone district of London. With two other Constables. 
    At some point possibly as early as the 8th September 1888, following the Anne CHAPMAN murder, SCHOLES was seconded to H Division, to assist in the hunt for Jack the Ripper. He certainly appears to have been on duty in H Division on the night of the 29th/30th September 1888 for the double event murders and states in his memoirs that " he was patroling his beat on Tabbard Street East on the furthest end of his beat on Mile End Road, it was a memorable night there had been a Lord Mayors show, whilst I was on duty Jack the Ripper committed two of his murders in the very street that I was."
    http://www.gsburroughs.com/ripper-story/
    6th January 1896 PC225D posted to D Division CID.
    3rd August 1898 promoted to Sgt 3rd class D Division.
    23rd June 1903 promoted to Sgt 2nd class D Division. 
    21st January 1908 promoted to Sgt 1st class Y Division.
    27th June 1910 promoted to Detective Insp Y Division. 
    In 1911 Alfred and his then family of wife and three children were resident at 17, Mark Road, Noel Park, London.
    Pensioned 14th  July 1913 as Detective Inspector Y Division and joins the Port Authority 
    Police at the same rank.
    Finally retires in 1924
    In 1939 he and his wife lived at 55, Whitehall Road, in the Grays area of London. Alfred was then working as a Private Enquiries Agent.  
    It is believed that he died in the Battersea area of London in 1946. 
    Entitled to 1897 Jubilee Medal as PC D Division, 1902 as PS D Division.

PC Scholes was just six months into his career with Scotland Yard when he, along with hundreds of other officers, were drafted into the dangerous and dark slums of Whitechapel to hunt for the killer that had been dubbed ‘Jack the Ripper.’ In his memoirs he recalls numerous occasions that he stopped and questioned innocent pedestrians, and led to comparative safety the many ‘fallen’ women who ran into his arms convinced that they had met ‘Jack’ and were next to be slaughtered. It is hard today to imagine the Whitechapel of 1888, with its narrow, unlighted streets, dirty alleys and slum buildings that housed some of London’s most unfortunate and desperate people. It was also a world of multiple races and nationalities all squeezed into a small, heavily populated district. It is also hard to imagine the terror that gripped the people of this poor part of London, and the terror and fear that swept the country as a whole. People genuinely feared for their lives and at the height of the scare, around September and October 1888, the streets of Whitechapel became deserted. 

Old Bailey cases SCHOLES was involved in.............

Housebreaking - 8th February 1897 as a Detective in G Division
    https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18970208-213&div=t18970208-213&terms=Alfred Scholes#highlight
    Robbery - 25th February 1901 as a Sergeant in D Division
    https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19010225-213&div=t19010225-213&terms=Alfred Scholes#highlight
    Robbery - 25th March 1901 as a Sergeant in D Division
    https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19020310-260&div=t19020310-260&terms=Alfred Scholes#highlight
    Libel - 10th March 1902 as a Sergeant in D Divison
    https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19020310-260&div=t19020310-260&terms=Alfred Scholes#highlight
    Forgery 3rd April 1905 as a Sergeant 
    https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19050403-301&div=t19050403-301&terms=Alfred Scholes#highlight
    Theft 11th September 1906 as a Sgt in D Division
    https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19060911-99&div=t19060911-99&terms=Alfred Scholes#highlight
    Fraud 21st October 1910 as a Sgt G Division
    https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19100208-35&div=t19100208-35&terms=Alfred Scholes#highlight
    Forgery 31st May 1910 as a Sgt
    https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19100531-21&div=t19100531-21&terms=Alfred Scholes#highlight
    Murder 28th March 1911 as an Insp
    https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19110328-46&div=t19110328-46&terms=Alfred Sholes#highlight
    Theft 7th November 1911 as an Insp
    https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19111107-48&div=t19111107-48&terms=Alfred Scholes#highlight
    Theft 30th January 1912 as an Insp Y Division
    https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19120130-33&div=t19120130-33&terms=Alfred Scholes#highlight
    Fraud 4th February 1913 as an Insp
    https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19130204-32&div=t19130204-32&terms=Albert Scholes#highlight
    Theft 4th March 1913 as an Insp
    https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19130304-65&div=t19130304-65&terms=Alfred Scholes#highlight

http://www.gsburroughs.com/current-book/

SCHOLES was also involved in the famous Edith THOMPSON & Frederick BAYWATER case

https://archive.org/details/trialoffrederick015894mbp/page/n1

Scholes portrait.jpg

Scholes 1897 Jubilee Medal.jpg

Forum 2.jpgimage.png.c111ab0a0d8367c1f831dbf3acd76dfe.png

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Arthur Charles Frost 

Arthur Charles Frost born 17th February 1867 in the parish of Brooke Norwich Norfolk.

1888 Marries his wife Ellen in Reigate.

1890 joins Metropolitan Police (06.01.1890) warrant number 75058 posted to J Division. Living at Moyna Road Upper Tooting. Trade gardener for a Capt Parr The Cedars Upper Tooting. 

1891 Living in Bonner Street Bethnal Green.

1897 awarded Diamond Jubilee Medal J Division.

1898 Gives evidence at the Old Bailey (12th December), for a coining offence that occurred on the 17th November on Hackney Road, as Constable 252J.

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp…

1899 Gives evidence at the Old Bailey 24th July, for a wounding offence that occurred on the 26th June on Whitechapel Road concerning the use of a revolver as Constable 252J.

1901 Living 53 Russia Lane Bethnal Green.

1902 award Coronation Medal J Division.

1902 Gives evidence at the Old Bailey 5th May, for a wounding offence that occurred on the 24th March on Paradise Street, Bethnal Green as Constable 24JR.

1911 award Coronation Medal J Division?

1911 Living 29 Bandon Lane Bethnal Green.

1913 Gives evidence at the Old Bailey on the 4th March, for a theft offence that occurred on the 28th January Marylebone as a Detective in D Division.

1918 retires from police D Division as a Detective 18.03.1918.

1918 dies Paddington.

Arthur FROST portrait.jpg

Arthur Frost medals forum.jpg

Here's a nice medal, I picked up a few years back for a song. Having done the mandatory Old Bailey checks, I didn't pursue his service any further. Until purely by chance whilst researching something else I put his name into the British Newspaper Archive, I was astonished with how many times he appeared in the Islington Gazette..............

PC292G George ALLEN - 

Warrant number 67739 Joining on the 09.04.1883 and being posted originally to W Division retiring on the 22.03.1903 from T Division. 
    He is entitled to a 1887/1897 Jubilee Medal for service in G Division and a 1902 Medal for T Division. 

PC ALLEN gave evidence at the Old Bailey twice during his career
    GEORGE ALLEN ,(Policeman G 292). Offence date 27th August 1889 - case heard 16th September 1889 - wounding.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.j ... #highlight

1891 census - living at 10 Rodney Street, Clerkenwell with his wife Ada.

GEORGE ALLEN ,(Policeman G 292). Offence date 13th December 1894 - case heard 25th March 1895 - wounding.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.j ... #highlight

Given the two offence locations, this would suggest that PC ALLEN was stationed at King’s Cross Road Clerkenwell Police Station.

Constable George ALLEN 292G Islington Gazette

Wednesday 4th May 1887
    Police Constable 292G (George ALLEN) said that on the 25th July last he was on fixed point at Exmouth Street, Clerkenwell. He was a crowd outside number 40 and was told that Mr ROSS wanted him. On going to the shop he saw plaintiff on the ground, and BUTCHER holding him on the ground. Witness told them to let the man get up and plaintiff then said he had been kicked in the eye. He wanted to give BUTCHER into custody, but seeing no marks of violence, he did not feel justified in taking him into custody.

Wednesday 18th May 1887
    Eliza Smith, aged 23, bagseller, of Fuller Street, Bethnal Green, was charged by Police Constable Allen, 292 G, with being drunk and disorderly in Farringdon Road, at quarter-past four on Saturday afternoon. The prisoner was discharged. 

Monday 12th September 1887
    Samuel Warner, aged 41, jeweller, Clerkenwell-close, was charged Police-constable George Allen, 292 G, with being drunk and disorderly Myddelton Street, Clerkenwell. He was fined 35s or five days. 

Monday 3rd October 1887
    Edward Brown aged 43 costermonger of Bowling Green Lane Clerkenwell was charged with violently assaulting Robert MOUNTFORD butcher of Wood Street St Pancras by throwing him down the stairs of 32 Bowling Green Lane on Tuesday afternoon. Constable ALLEN 292 G said that the prisoner's arm was badly bruised but was not so hurt as to be unable to attend. Prisoner was discharged.

Wednesday 14th December 1887
    George Thomas PREADY aged 22 bill poster of Myddleton Place Clerkenwell was charged with disorderly conduct at Exmouth Street Clerkenwell and further assaulting Police Constable ALLEN 292G Mr Bennett ordered the defendant to enter into his own recognisances to keep the peace for six months.

Monday 6th February 1888 
    A VIOLENT ITALIAN. Giovanni Antonia, aged 28, of 7, Eyre-street-hill, St. Andrew’s, a musician, was charged before Mr. Barstow, at the Clerkenwell Police-court, on Friday, for throwing missiles to the'common danger of the public, at Clerkenwell Green; and, farther, charged with assaulting Police-constable Allen, 292 G, at the same time and place. Police-constable Charles Night, 321 G. stated that he was on duty that morning at 12.30 at Clerkenwell Green, when he saw the prisoner playing an accordian, and surrounded large crowd. After had finished playing, handed his hat round for money, and because he did not get any, he took brick from his pocket, and threw it at a boy, striking him in the back. At the time a lady and gentleman were passing in a "gig,” and the prisoner threw a crust of bread at them, at the same time striking the back of the "gig.” Witness took him in custody, and on the way to the station became extremely violent, which rendered assistance necessary. Police Constable Allen, 292 G, gave corroborative evidence, and the prisoner was fined 20s or 14 days.

Thursday 8th March 1888
    Ellen Higgs, aged 45, news vendor, of Peter’s Lane, Clerkenwell, was charged by Police-constable George Allen, 292 G, with being drunk and disorderly ...

Thursday 10th May 1888
    Drunk and disorderly 
    Margaret Wilson, aged 46, King’s Cross Road, was charged by Police-constable George Allen, 292 G, with being drunk in Margaret Street, Clerkenwell. Discharged.

Wednesday 23rd May 1888
    The Islington Gazette
    James Sibley, aged 29, of Bryan Street, Caledonian Road, a labourer, was charged with being drunk and disorderly. Police-constable Geo. Allan, 292 G, stated that at 7.45 on the previous evening he was called public house in King’s Cross Road, to eject the prisoner. When outside the house the prisoner was requested leave, but refused, and used abusive language. Fined 5s or five days. 

Monday 28th May 1888
    ... aged 40, Biainghill Street, Clerkenwell, charwoman, was charged Police Constable George Allen, 292 G. with being drunk and disorderly Pentonville Road. Officer gave the evidence apprehended at 9.16 the previous evening, the prisoner was attempting ...

Tuesday 26th June 1888
    Breaking glass
    .....also there drunk and behaving disorderly. The prisoner denied the charge, but Police Constable George Allen 292G, gave corroborative evidence to that of Police Constable Dunlop. Fined 55s or five days imprisonment. 

Monday 2nd July 1888 Miscellanous charges at the Clerkenwell Police Court
    Sarah Ann Bailey, aged 25, Godsde Street, was charged with behaving in a disorderly manner and using obscene language in Wharfedale Road. Police Constable George Allen, 292 G, stated that, one o’clock that morning, saw the prisoner lying footpath screaming. Witness tried to get her away, when she became abusive, and broke the constable’s whistle. Fined 10s or seven days’ imprisonment.

Tuesday 24th July 1888
    Frank Kennedy, aged 16, of Beaconsfield Buildings, Caledonian-road, a baker, was charged Police-constable George Allen, 292 G, with unlawfully assembling with others not in custody in a riotous and disorderly gang, I throwing stones to the terror and annoyance the inhabitants at Edward Street. The constable stated that at eight o’clock on the previous evening he saw the prisoner with gang of others shouting and making use of obsene language at Edward Street. Witness requested them to go away, but the prisoner refused. Fined 10s., or seven days’ imprisonment. 

Wednesday 15th August 1888 Assault a team conductor
    George Webber, aged 81, of Green-street, Camden-town, cab-driver, badge 8621, was charged Police-constable George Allen, 292 with being drunk whilst In his employment as cab-driver, Pentonville-road. Tho constable said he saw the defendant asleep on his cab. Witness called to him, when he drove to the footpath. He was very drunk. The prisoner, who said was more sleepy than drank, was fined 10s or in default, seven days’ imprisonment.

Thursday 17th January 1889
    Drunk and disorderly
    Catherine Stretton, aged 42, of Leather-lane buildings, Holborn, was charged with being drunk and disorderly at Great Saffron-hill. Police - constable 292 G proved ...

Wednesday 18th September 1889
    Assault Police
    Charles Bywater, aged 40, costermonger, of Clerkenwell close, was charged on Tuesday, with being drunk and assaulting the police at Pentonville-road. Police-constable 292G said the previous afternoon saw the prisoner drunk. He came up to witness and another constable and said, "You want me and won't get me, you lay a hand on me, I will put you both in the road.” A crowd assembled, and prisoner said, "we will make a subscription for the dogs,” at the same time taking off his hat. When requested to go away, he kicked Police-constable 169G on the leg, causing him to fall to the ground, and struck him on the helmet with stick he had. Prisoner complained of ill-treatment at the hands of the police, but this was denied, and Mr. Haden Corser sent him to prison for one month. 

13th November 1889
    Assaulting the police
    James Harrigan, aged 30, a labourer, of no fixed abode, was charged with being drunk and assaulting Police-constable Allen, 292 G, at Clerkenwell Road. The officer said was called to a public house to eject the prisoner. He got Harrigan outside, but he refused to go away and struck witness in tho chest, at the same time saying, "I will tear your liver out". Prisoner did not carry out his threat, but struck the officer again in the chest, and tore the buttons from his coat. Fined 20s. 

Tuesday 13th May 1890
    ASSAULTING THE POLICE. Sebastino Sevario, aged 20, and Dominici Robino, ago 26, ice-cream vendors, of Little Bath-street, Clerkenwell. were charged on Friday, the Police-court, the former with assaulting Nunsio Alloooo, Maria Allocco, Salvatorie Allocco. and Police-constable 292 G, Little Bath-street, and the latter with attempting to rescue Sevario, and with assaulting the police-officer. The three complainants did not appear to prosecute. The officer said he was called the disturbance in Little Bath street and just as he was about to take Sevario into custody, the latter struck him violently on the arm with ice-cream stick. the way to the station. Robino came behind and punched the officer on the chest, and kicked him abont the legs. Mr. Bros fined the defendants 20s each. 

Monday 29th September 1890
    Assault the police
    Annie Glasby, aged 20, a flower seller, of Gough-street. Gray’s Inn Road, was charged Friday, the Clerkenwell Police Court, with being drunk and assaulting Police-constable Allen, 292 G, at Charles Street. Prisoner was (quarrelling with two other wornen the previous afternoon. When requested to go away she refused, and spat in the officer s face, and made use of obscene expressions, Fined 40s. 

Thursday 27th November 1890 Drunk and disorderly
    David Holmes, aged 20, a labourer, of no fixed abode, was charged with being drunk and disorderly, and with assaulting Police Constable Allen. 292 G. Wharfedale-road. The officer said was called to public house eject the prisoner and others. When outside the house, Holmes became violent, and struck witness two heavy blows on the side the head. He then ran off. Witness followed, and just before he caught to the prisoner Holmes round and charged him in the stomach with his head. Witness, in order to get Holmes to the station, had to get the assistance of Police-constable 122G and another constable. Mr. Bros fined the prisoner 40s. 
    Sarah Golden, aged 25, married, of Theobald's road, Bloomsbury, was charged with attempting rescue David Holmes from the custody of Police-constable Allen 292G, Mr. Bros bound the accused over in the sum of 40s to be good behaviour for three months. 

24th December 1890 Drunk and disorderly
    Alexander King aged 32 a carpenter of fixed abode was disorderly on Pentonville Road, Police Constable Allen 292G proved the offence.

Thursday 17th February 1891
    Lucy Ince, aged 33, married, of no fixed abode, was charged with being drunk and disorderly Pakenbam - street, Police-constable 292 G proved the offence, and Mr ...

Thursday 5th March 1891
    Assaulting the Police
    John Jackson, aged 24, a coal-porter, of Benwell-road, Holloway, was charged with being drunk and with assaulting Police Vonstable Allen, 292 G, Gray’s-inn-road. The officer was called to the ‘Yorkshire Grey public bouse eject Jackson. The prisoner refused to leave, and struck witness the chest. On the way to the station, was violent, threw Allen to the ground, and sprained the thumb his left hand. Fined 10s. 

Monday 29th June 1891
    A DRUNKEN DRIVER. Henry Lewis, aged 62, a cab-driver, of King's-Cross-road. St. Pancras, was charged Friday, at the Clerkenwell Police-court, with being drunk during his employment Clerkenwell-road. Police-constable Allen, 292 G, saw Lewis fall from the seat of his cab. He was too drunk to stand, so the officer put him inside the vehicle and lead the horse to the station. Fined 20s.

Thursday 29th October 1891
    Drunk and disorderly
    ... Lacelles, aged 20, costermonger, of Portpool Laue, was charged with being disorderly at Leather-lane. Police-con stable Allen, 292 G, proved the offence, and the prisoner was fined 20s.

Tuesday 24th November 1891 Assault Police
    .. with assaulting Police - constable 292 (Allen) Caledoman-road. Brown was using obscene langnage. and refused to away when requested. tried trip Police Constable Andrews, who took him into custody, and kicked Police-constable Allen about the legs. Fined 20a ...

Wednesday 16th December 1891 Drunk and Disorderly
    .. of Albert-street. Barnsbury-road, were charged with being drunk and disorderly Chapel street, Clerkcnwell. Police - constable Allen, 292 G, proved the offence. Smith was using bad language when taken into custody. Fined ss.

Tuesday 19th January 1892 Drunk and disorderly
    Haines at Pentonville Road, Police Constable Allen 292G proved the offence.

27th April 1892
    Drunk and disoderly
    .. Penton-place, and Elisabeth Pettitt, aged 22, were charged with bring drunk and disorderly King's Cross road. Police-constable Allen, 292 G, proved the offence. The prisoners were ejected from a public bouse. Ernest was fined 10s., and Elisabeth was discharged ...

Wednesday 11th May 1892
    Assaulting the police
    John Benson, aged 35, a labourer, of Bay street, Clerkenwell, and William Mitchell, aged 36, a silver - polisher, Hartington Road, Lambeth, were charged with being drunk and disorderly at Hatton-garden, and with assaulting Police-constable Allen, 292 G. Bonson kicked tho officer and abused him. Allen was thrown to the ground, and Mitchell rushed and kicked the officer in the head. Both men had been previously convicted. Mr. Horace Smith ordered Benson be imprisoned for three months, and Mitchell for two months. 

11th July 1892
    Drunk and disorderly
    ....married of Beanchamp Street Holborn, was charged with being drunk and disorderly on Brooke Street Holbon. Police Constable Allen 292G said the prisoner interfered with two men who were conversing together and refused to move away when requested. Fluxon said...........

Monday 15th August 1892
    Drunk and disorderly
    .....tie maker of Haverstock Street, was charged with being drunk and incapable at Warder Street, Clerkenwell. Police Constable George Allen 292G said about a quarter to two that morning, found the prisoner very drunk. 

Thursday 6th October 1892
    Assault the police
    William Duffy, aged 19, shoemaker, of Brunswick-Close, Clerkenwell, charged Tuesday, at the ClerkeuweU Police-Court, with being drunk and with assaulting Police Constable Allen 292 G, at Clerkenwell Road. Duffy threw the officer to tbe ground, and punched him to the mouth. Fined 40s. 

Thursday 22nd June 1893 
    Cutting and wounding
    ... somewhat severely. He had not spoken to the prisoner, and, in cross-examination, he denied that be drank Allen’s liquor. Police-constable Allen, 292 G, who took the prisoner into custody, said the prosecutor stated that the woman broke the glass across ...

Thursday 20th July 1893
    Ann Brown's Defence
    . Hoxton, was charged Wednesday, at Clerkenweli Police-court, with being disorderly, and with assaulting Police Constables Allen, 292 G. and Zeuthon, 369 G, at High-street, Clerkenwell. Smith used bad language, and when spoken to the police made a disgusting ...

Thursday 14th September 1893
    Stealing knives
    ... Blackfriars-road. was charged on Tuesday, at the Clerkenwell Police-court, with being drank and with assaulting Police-constable Allen, 292 at St. John’s-square. Steed attempted to get into the Salvation Army Shelter, and waa fighting with a man outside. ...

12th January 1894
    Drunk and disorderly
    Jane Simpson, aged 50, married, of Clerkenwell, was charged with being drunk at Caledonian Road. Police-constable Allen, 292 ...

Wednesday 18th April 1894 - Good Templars
    John Withers, aged 33, of Robert-street. Theobald's-road, was charged with being disorderly Gray's-inn-road. Police constable Allen, 292 G, proved the offence. Withers was ejected from a public house. shook his fist in the officer's face, and said, "I should like to have a game with you" Fined 10s.

Thursday 4th October 1894
    Margaret Connolly, aged 25 an ironer of Victoria Street Barnsbury was charged with being drunk and with assaulting Police Constable 292G at Caledonian Road. The Officer said the prisoner and others were quarrelling. He sperated them and later Connolly commenced to fight with another women. When taken into custody Connolly attempted to stab him with a bonnet pin, threw herself to the ground, kicked spat in his face pulled his whistle from his coat. r Horace Smith sent her to gaol for 21 days.

11th August 1895
    Joseph KNOTT aged 38 of Albert Street scale maker was charged with being drunk and disorderly and with assaulting George ALLEN Police Constable 292G. The latter said that on Saturday night the prisoner who was in the company of some women was behaving in a disorderly manner and on being told to go away abused the constbale and struck him on the nose. He now said he was excited and was sorry for what he had done. Fined 20s or 14 days imprisonment. 

Tuesday 1st October 1895 Assaulting the police
    Alfred Batty, aged 20, a labourer, of Campbell-road, Holloway, waa charged with being drunk, and with assaulting Police - constable Allen, 292 G, at Henry street, Clerkenwell. Batty behaved in disorderly manner, and refused to go away when requested. He was taken into custody, and the way to the station spat the officer's face. Mr. Head sent Batty to gaol for 10 days.

Tuesday 3rd December 1895
    ... Ann Butler, 70, s widow, Southampton street, Pentonville, charged with being drunk Clerkenwell Road. Policeconatable Allen, 292 G, proved the offence. She was discharged with caution.

Wednesday 28th October 1896
    A terror to the neighbourhood - John Hammond, a labourer, Britaania Street, King’s-Cross-road, was charged with assaulting Police Constable Allen, 292 G, Kings Cross Road. Hammond was ejected 'rom public bouse. He knocked an old lady down, and afterwards fought with man. The complainant ordered Hammond away, but refused to go. Allen took him into custody, and the way to the station the prisoner kicked him about the legs. In the police station he struck another. "This man", added the complainant "is a terror to the neighbourhood". Old men and ladies he starts on". The prisoner ( did not kick the constable. I could not have done it the way they took me. They gave me the "Frog's March" and dropped me on my face in the station. And after that one of the men gave me a clout on the head. Previous convictions (one of of six months imprisonment for injuring a constable) were proved against the prisoner. Hammond Yes, they are always at me. Mr Horace Smith - Now you must have another six months. 

Tuesday 24th August 1897
    Ann Straines, aged 40, a machinist, of no fixed abode, was charged with sleeping in the open air without visible means subsistence and with exposing her two children, Emma, aged eight years, and Daisy, aged six years, in a manner likely to cause them unnecessary suffering or injury to health at James’swalk. Police-constable Allen, 292 G, said that morning he saw the prisoner with two children asleep a doorstep in Sutton street, roused them and they walked away. A little later he saw the prisoner and her children asleep in St. Jamea’s-walk, roused her and asked her if she had any money. She replied that she had none, and that she left the workhouse week ago. The constable added that the children were very cold and very tired. Joseph Wilkes, officer of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, said his attention was called to the prisoner as early as May last. She then had two other children with her, and had been found sleeping on the stairs of model buildings. She was widow, and had seven children. Two were in the Mitcham parochial schools, one on the ship Shaftsbury, one living with its grandfather, and one service. The other two she took with her from place to place. Early in the year she met with accident one her knees, and was unable to work. She had said she would rather die than to the workhouse. Mr. Horace Smith— Then you'll have to go to prison, and your children will be taken care of someone else. The prisoner (weeping)—What have I done to sent prison. Mr. Windebank (School Board officer)—She wants the parish authorities to look after her children and allow her out of the workhouse, but they won’t do that. Mr. Horace Smith (to the prisoner.)—Will you go to the workhouse ? The prisoner—No, I won’t. Mr. Horace Smith—Then you will have to be charged with neglecting your children. You can’t allowed to drag them through the streets all night long. I’ll remand you now for week.

Allen medal.jpg

Allen medal 1887 1897.jpg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

• 3 weeks later...

A while back, I happened upon this old photograph  and thought it might be of interest. The handwriting on the back names the chap as Arthur O'Brien Jones, Divisional Surgeon, Epsom. Police surgeons aren't my normal collecting sphere, but I thought I'd take a chance and see what I could find out about him. It appears that members of the Epsom Historical Society were aware of him and had already conducted considerable research on him. His story is a somewhat sad if not interesting one. Which I thought might be of interest to fellow forum users.....

Arthur O'Brien Jones was born in Stamford, Lincolnshire in 1813 and qualified as a doctor in 1836; he was the only son of the Reverend Thomas Arthur Jones and Elizabeth O'Brien. Having qualified as a doctor he appears to have gone to live in Epsom. He was certainly there in 1841 and acting as Divisional Surgeon to V Division, when he had treated PC 269V Joseph Russell.............

On Saturday 8 May 1841, just before midnight, PC 269V Joseph Russell was on patrol in the High Street when he heard a disturbance at the King's Head inn. On investigation, Charles Fincher was found kicking at the tap-room door. On being told that he could get no more beer, Fincher, a labourer, became abusive, tore the officer's rolled cape from the back of his coat and used it to hit PC Russell in the face. A violent struggle ensued and a number of people emerged from the tap-room to become involved in the fracas.
    A drunken George Gardom intervened, shouting: - "You shall not take that man to the station. I'm a gentleman and I'll bail him... You you and you. Come on ten of you and assist me to get this man away." A number of men then assaulted the constable with sticks and their fists.

PC Russell drew his truncheon to defend himself and kept hold of Fincher until a colleague, PC Price arrived to assist him.

When giving evidence to the Magistrates, Baron de Teissier and Mr Goss, about the event PC Russell declared that George Edes, James Phipps and John Ratcliffe (the latter two, recruits to 89th Regiment of Foot) had subsequently belaboured him with heavy sticks. "I was knocked down. Ede knelt upon my back, struck me and attempted to kick me in the ribs but kicked my lanthorn. I got up and struck him with my staff very violently, as I thought he intended to do me some serious hurt."

The original police station was situated in the High Street at the eastern end on the south side. As explained in 'The Court House' "From an article in one of the local papers in 1935, it appears that when number 45 High Street, now the ASK restaurant, was being vacated the remains of what appeared to be two cells were discovered. Although the some alterations had been made to the doors, the door bolts were still attached. Each door contained small trap about 6"x8" presumably to allow food to be given to the prisoner." At the time of the 1851 Census these premises were occupied by a Sergeant, his family, 6 constables and a lodger.

The two Police constables escorted their prisoner towards the section-house but only got as far as the (Spread) Eagle tap before Gardom again incited the mob.

George Gardom seized Phipps' stick, struck constable Russell down, and beat him about the head. The officer's leather top hat, then part of police uniform rather than a helmet, was 'cut to pieces'.
    Eventually the constables managed to struggle back into the station-house with their prisoner and closed some gates behind them. A hail of stones were hurled after the group and the mob burst open the gates threatening to storm the building. Alerted by all the noise, other officers rushed out to assist their colleagues, beat off the attack and apprehend, additionally, Gardom, Edes, Phipps and Ratcliffe.

Although powerfully built, PC Russell had been badly injured and remained dangerously ill when examined by the surgeon-in-chief to the Metropolitan Police and Arthur O'Brien Jones, surgeon to V Division, some days later.

The charges brought were:
    Edes - Assaulting and wounding Joseph Russell, PC 269 V, with intent to do him grievous bodily harm;
    Phipps and Ratcliffe - Attempting to rescue a prisoner;
    Gardom - Assaulting and resisting the police in the execution of their duty;
    Fincher - Being drunk and disorderly and assaulting the police.

Initially, Gardom and Edes had been bailed for £100 and two sureties of £50 each. At a further hearing, however, the Magistrates remanded all the accused to Kingston gaol to await trial. Gardom's father appealed to the bench, explaining that George was his only son and being sent to prison would break his parents' hearts. His offer to stand bail to the extent of many thousands of pounds for security to ensure his son's appearance was declined.

The outcome of trial at Guildford assize is revealed by the Criminal Registers published on the Ancestry UK website. George Gardom, George Edes, James Phipps and John Ratcliffe were all tried at the Assizes on 29 June 1841. Gardom got 12 months' imprisonment and the others 9 months each. Charles Fincher was not mentioned.

1841 Epsom appears to have been a rowdy place as a similar incident occurred shortly afterwards.....

The Morning Post on Wednesday 25 August 1841. The previous Saturday, 21 August 1841, at ten minutes to midnight, five men left the Bull's Head*, Ewell, "drunk and noisy", before travelling to Epsom. In the town centre, they were encountered by Police Constables 219V Butcher and 217V Duncan Stewart who remonstrated with them. Charles Robinson from Putney flourished a reaping hook [indicating that the men could have been itinerant harvesters] over PC Butcher swearing he would cut off the officer's head. Disarmed by Butcher, Robinson was given into the custody of PC Stewart. George Morrett, of Brentford, then struck Constable Butcher over the head with a heavy stick before kicking him and breaking one of the officer's ribs. A man called Jarrett went to the assistance of the felled constable and both assailants were escorted towards the police-station. On their way to the station house PC Butcher collapsed in the street resulting in him being carried home. Examined by the divisional surgeon, Mr Jones, his injuries were declared to be of a most serious character. On Monday, 23 August 1841, the men appeared before local magistrates, Baron de Tessier & Captain Gough [Henry Gosse, Lord of the Manor of Chessington?]: after a surgeon's certificate had been produced testifying that PC Butcher remained in imminent danger the prisoners were remanded until Friday 3 September 1841. Details of their trial have not been traced.

In the 1851 census Arthur was already practising and living in South Street, Epsom with two of his sisters, Jemima and Anne, and three of Ellen's children were also in residence (it seems that Ellen's husband, coal merchant Arthur Burton, had gone to Paris in 1848 to escape his creditors and he set up in business there). Jemima married Australia merchant Joseph Matthew Holworthy in 1852 and Anne never married, eventually returning to Bromley College. 

Arthur O'Brien Jones marries Sibella Vernon/Farish at Epsom on 22 August 1857 and they live at The Shrubbery in South Street.  They have just one child, Arthur Vernon Jones, born in Epsom on 16 June 1859, who was educated at Eton. Sadly, the boy died of consumption at the age of 19, on 8 September 1878, at the mountain resort of Davos Platz, Grisons in Switzerland.

Dr O'Brien Jones was again in the papers in 1877 following a civil case that was brought against him and the head master of a local school following the death of a child, whom the Doctor had treated. It subsequently transpired that there was no case to answer by either party. But one can only imagine the local scandal. 

Finally on the 1st May 1889 Dr Obrien Jones commits suicide by consuming hydrogen cyanide.............

Wednesday, 1 May 1889, having committed suicide. A piece of paper was found, on which he had written 'Taken prussic acid'. The inquest was held at Epsom on 10 May 1889 and reported in The Surrey Mirror next day. Sibella's evidence was taken at her house; she had returned home at about 5pm on 1 May and found Arthur in a chair, evidently dying. 'He tried to open his eyes, but he could not speak. I left home at eleven in the morning, and I then noticed nothing particular in him. He had been very cheerful and happy lately. Nothing had happened to disturb him in any way. His age had incapacitated him from doing so much work and this might have preyed upon his mind.'

Dr George Robinson Barnes, said, 'I was formerly in partnership with the deceased, but during the last six years we had only a working agreement. I last saw him alive on Monday afternoon about two o'clock. He was in a good state of health and did not appear depressed. On Wednesday I was sent for to see him, and on my arrival found he was dead. The prussic acid bottle was by his side and a glass measure was standing on the table. I detected a strong smell of acid. The cause of death was poisoning from prussic acid. I know nothing which would cause the deceased to commit suicide. I was not aware of any financial difficulties. His practice had declined. He had outlived his old patients and a new generation had come into Epsom. I think this feeling of not being able to do much worried him considerably. He had not, through his declining years, been equal to his work, particularly his night practice'

Newspapers recorded, 7 May 1889,

"A Supposed Suicide. A painful sensation has been caused at Epsom by the death of Mr Arthur O'Brien Jones, surgeon to the Metropolitan Police, Epsom Division. He was found on Wednesday night lying dead in his room with a phial of prussic acid by his side and also, it is said, a statement written by himself. Mr Jones had spent over 50 years in Epsom, being about 76 years of age. He was surgeon for several public institutions and though of somewhat eccentric character was much esteemed. No reason has been forthcoming to explain this event."

Arthur Obrien Jones 002.jpgArthur Obrien Jones 001.jpgArthur Obrien Jones 003.jpgArthur Obrien Jones 006.jpgArthur Obrien Jones 005.jpg

Sources -

https://www.geni.com/people/Dr-Arthur-O-Brien-Jones/6000000047732722825

http://www.epsomandewellhistoryexplorer.org.uk/RiotousEpsom.html

http://www.epsomandewellhistoryexplorer.org.uk/Shrubbery.html

http://www.epsomandewellhistoryexplorer.org.uk/SibellaJones.html

http://www.epsomandewellhistoryexplorer.org.uk/DeathAtEpsomCollege.html

http://livesonline.rcseng.ac.uk/biogs/E002373b.htm

Hello,

At the height of the Jack the Ripper murders in 1888, the Police were receiving approximately one thousand letters a week.

There was also a similar amount of letters addressed to the newspapers, religious leaders and the Lord Mayor etc.

The common suggestion was that Jack the Ripper could be trapped by disguising policemen  as women.

This is a short story of one such famous attempt that went wrong.

''The stabbing of a detective during an undercover surveillance operation to catch Jack the Ripper.''

During the early morning hours of between 12 and 1am, on the 9th of October in 1888, an undercover assignment was being carried out by the Metropolitan Police, in an attempt to catch, 'Jack the Ripper.' It involved keeping a watch on an individual who's actions had laid himself open to suspicion of being involved in the East-end murders. The individual at that particular moment was in the company of a woman. The surveillance operation took place in Phoenix-place, in St Pancras and there was a rumour that night that 'Jack the Ripper' was about.

Detective Sergeant Robinson of 'G' division  was working undercover and dressed and disguised as a woman and was partnered by Detective Sergeant Mather who wore ordinary clothing. A Mr Doncaster and a couple of other private individuals were also in attendance at the time of the assault.

William Jarvis [aged 40] and James Phillips [aged 37] who were employed as cab washers at Hackney-road, approached Detective Robinson and even although he identified himself as Police, they proceeded to attack him. William Jarvis stabbed the Detective above the left eye and on the bridge of his nose and both men punched or kicked the Detective. Mr Doncaster of 26 Warmer-street, Clerkenwell, who attempted to help the Detective was also assaulted and stabbed in the face by Jarvis and punched and suffered a dislocated jaw.

Once the alarm was raised other police officer's were quickly in attendance and William Jarvis was arrested by Detective Sergeant Mather and Police Constable Frank Mew [301G] arrested Phillips. Police Constable Frank Mew then informed James Phillips that he was being taken to the Police Station and the prisoner said, 'all right governor, it is not the first time I have been there.'

William Jarvis was charged with, 'unlawfully wounding,' and James Phillips was charged with, 'assaulting the police.'

It is interesting to note that when the prisoners first arrived at the Clerkenwell police-court to address the charges, they both had their heads bound with bandages. Police Sergeant Robinson had surgical straps around his left eye. It would appear William Jarvis and James Phillips may have come off worse, by the end of that incident. They were both allowed bail, at two sureties of £20.

At the trial at the Middlesex Sessions in early November in 1888, William Jarvis was sentenced to 6 weeks imprisonment and James Phillips was discharged.

There are quite a few newspaper reports on this incident and it is also recorded in a number of books.

I have attached a photograph of Police Constable Frank Mew's Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police Jubilee medal for 1887/1897 clasp which is part of my collection.

Police Constable Frank Mew [301G].

Warrant number 69870.

Joined 27/10/1884 - Police Constable in 'G' or Finsbury division.

1887 Police Constable in 'G' or Finsbury divisions.

1897 Police Constable in 'P' or Camberwell division.

Left 23/12/1898, Police Constable in 'V' or Wandsworth.

SS856869 (2).JPG

SS856872 (2).JPG

SS856876 (2).JPG

SS856874 (4).JPG

Another cracking thread there Alan, thanks for sharing it with us.

One day I'll track down a Ripper related medal!!

But in the interim I'll have to make do with stuff like this. 

Drum roll please...............

1902 Coronation medal to PC W Boswell H Division

Although William didn't join the Metropolitan Police until 1900 and only served until 1907 (which included a period in Stoke Newington N Division), I have unearthed that he does have several Ripperesk connections.......

The first one being that on the 1901 census he is listed as being resident at Lemen Street Police Station, so would certainly have known if only by sight PC Ernest Thompson, of Ripper fame (and is highly likely to have been involved in his funeral in some capacity)........ too tenuous of a link for you?

Then how about this? 

In 1902 he married a girl called Lousia Thersea Ritzler. (One assumes he would have been courting her for some time?) Lousia was born in Whitechapel in 1878 and lived with her parents and siblings at 5 Ellen Place, St George in the East. Ellen place was a little court, whose entrance came out onto Ellen Street and looked directly up Berner Street. Number 5 would have been right in the middle of Ellen Place, so their front door would have had an unrestricted view up Berner Street. They were certainly living there as early as 1881, so would have been well aware of the Lipski case of Batty Street fame. Their still in Ellen Place in April 1888, one of Lousia's sisters is listed as going to the infants school on Berner Street (right opposite Stride's murder scene), so it's a fair bet to say that Lousia must have gone there too? There can be no shadow of a doubt that the Ritzler family adults (if not Lousia herself), would have been aware of Jack's work on the night of the 30th September in Berner Street and indeed Jack in general. Perhaps they were even questioned by the police? One would assume that they'd have used Mathew Packers shop as well? By 1891 the Ritzler's have moved to 39 Batty Street and there they remain until at least the 1911 census, with William. So would have been aware of the Pinchin Street torso and the murder of Francis Coles. Not to mention the Sidney Street siege. 

Ok so he wasn't a Bobby on the beat at the time of Jack, but his wife's connection to the area at the time, to me is just as interesting and alluring.

PC Willam Boswell, joined H Division 09/04/00 warrant number 86192 and resigned from N Division 27/11/07. 
    He was born in Cuddesdon Oxfordshire 1879 and is shown on the census living with his parents in Cuddesdon in 1881 & 1891. The 1901 Census has him as being at Leman Street Police Station. The 1911 has William living at no 39 Batty Street as a labourer in the cellars with wife Louisa born Whitechapel and 3 children. He married Louisa Theresa Ritzler on 1/6/02 at St John the Evangelist St George's East. His address then being 61 Anthony Street, Whitechapel and Louisa at 39 Batty Street. William died aged 70 in 1949 with death registered in Wandsworth. Lousia in 1952 registered in Stepney.

Boswell.jpg

Boswell Medal.jpg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Hi,

Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police Jubilee medal for 1887 and awarded to ''PC G Compton H divn.'' There are two minor edge knocks, otherwise the medal is in very nice condition.

It is necessary to give you some background information on this medal to fully understand the story I am about to tell you. Originally when the medal came up for sale, the previous owner had been informed, by a reliable source, that Police Constable George Compton's Metropolitan Police records had not survived. There were no records available. That meant it would probably be extremely difficult to confirm any police or personal details or even confirm if he had served in Whitechapel during the Jack the Ripper murder period in 1888 etc. The only thing that came with this Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police medal was a copy of a newspaper article from November in 1888 which stated that a George Compton had been arrested as a suspect in the hunt for Jack the Ripper. Obviously, the lack of any information about Police Constable George Compton and the vagueness regarding who was this other Compton in the article, meant it did not have real relevance in the sale.

For the purposes of this story it is necessary to give factual evidence regarding Police Constable George Compton and in the second part of the story we can examine the newspaper article from a hypothetical point of view. Basically just have some fun.

Under Mepo 21/18/6887 we can find Police Constable George Compton's Police Pension records were actually available.

George Compton was born in Cheltenham, in Gloucestershire, on the 15th of December in 1842.

5/12/1870 George Compton joins the Metropolitan Police and was assigned to Bow or 'K' division.

1871 England Census, Police Constable George Compton is residing at the Police Station at 2 Station Road, in West Ham.

17/12/1874 George Compton marries Faith Reynolds.

1/7/1880 Police Constable George Compton is transferred to Whitechapel or 'H' division.

1881 England Census, George and Faith Compton are residing at 115 Old Church Road, in Mile End.

1887 Police Constable George Compton is awarded the Met. Police Jubilee medal for 1887 whilst serving at a Police Constable in Whitechapel or 'H' division.

1/7/1888 Police Constable George Compton retires on pension from Whitechapel or 'H' division and is awarded a pension of £22.9s.4d per annum. George and Faith are still married and they are residing at 115 Finnis Street, in Bethnal Green.

In July of 1888, George Compton's physical description was :- 45 years old. Five feet seven and three quarter inches tall. Dark hair. Hazel eyes. Florid complexion/reddish skin.

Approximately five weeks later Martha Tabram is murdered.

Another point of interest is that sometime between the end of 1888 and the start of 1891, George and Faith Compton's marriage begins to experience difficulties and their marriage then collapsed. By the England Census of 1891 George Compton is now residing with Jane Compton [nee Howell] and her three children at 3 Septre Street, in Whitechapel.

Between July and September of 1898, George Compton dies and his death is recorded in the district of Mile End Old Town, in Whitechapel.

''The newspaper article from November in 1888.'' Some men had been talking about the Whitechapel murders in a Beerhouse, in Fish Street Hill when it was noticed that one stranger appeared to have dried blood stains on his shirt and jacket. This stranger then made contradictory statements about his place of work and where he lived. After being challenged, the stranger soon left. Another member of this group followed him and when they passed Bishopsgate Street Police Station, he quickly alerted the Police and the suspicious stranger was arrested. The prisoner was identified as a George Compton and he had been arrested previously for suspicious behaviour. George Compton complained about being arrested and that he could have been lynched by a mob. His story was checked and he was soon released.

I have seen another specialist thread where it has been suggested that ex-Whitechapel Police Constable George Compton and the newspaper article George Compton are the same person. I want to make it quite clear that I am not suggesting this. This is just looking at the situation from a logical point of view and having a bit of fun.

George Compton [ex-Whitechapel Police Constable] is he the stranger...………………………..

George Compton, 18 years with the Metropolitan Police including the last 8 years serving in Whitechapel. Now retired and knows the people and area and has the necessary expertise. Everybody knows the man that catches Jack the Ripper will receive fame and fortune. Everybody would have wanted to be that local hero.

Where would you get good information, I would suggest Beerhouses would be a good starting point. Especially if you are not known in that Beerhouse and you are discreet. Being an ex-Police Constable you might want to keep this information private and I am sure you would not want to divulge your home address. George Compton had a weather beaten face [reddish] and in normal clothes, being in his mid-forties and suddenly you may look totally different to what you looked like a few months before in uniform.

One danger George Compton, ex-Whitechapel Police Constable, would have been well aware of.....is that of being arrested as a Jack the Ripper suspect and of the real dangers of Whitechapel mob justice.

If George Compton was arrested at Bishopsgate Street Police Station, you would think the Metropolitan Police would have disclosed the fact that he was not a suspect and that he was actually a Metropolitan Police Pensioner. But so many rumours could quickly spread through the district  that maybe they would not have wanted any kind of Police connection suggested with Jack the Ripper.

Anyway I will stop there and hope you like this entry. I am not the greatest typist so please excuse any typing errors etc. Remember I am not saying the two are connected.

Alan.

SS856914 (2).JPG

SS856920 (2).JPG

SS856933 (2).JPG

SS856928 (2).JPG

SS856930 (2).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

James CHAPPELL

Born - Taunton Somerset 1864

Joined Met 6th February 1888, posted to J Division, with the warrant number 73321. PC 121 J.

Married Sophia Mulchay (born 1855). On the 20th July 1889 at St Johns, Bethnal Green. Address at time of marriage: 458 Bethnal Green Road (Bethnal Green Police Station).

1891 census living at 103 Grafton Street, Mile End with his wife Sophia. (Bethnal Green Station)

1897 - J Division

1901 census living at 94 Grafton Street, Mile End with his wife Sophia and their son Sidney. (Bethnal Green Station)

1902 - J Division

1911 census (2nd April) , 31 Tyndall Road Leyton, but is in hospital (London Hospital - Whitechapel). (Leyton Station)
    Pensioned 7th May 1911, still in J Division, with class 2 certificate of conduct = Good. As he hadn’t quite done 25 years I suspect he was then pensioned early on health grounds, missing out on the 1911 medal. Retired early due to Esophagael Stricture. 

Grafton Street now Grantley Street is a 15 minute walk to Bethnal Green Police Station.

Percy James Chappell 
    Born April 1864, Taunton Somerset
    Father - Richard Chappell
    Mother - Martha Chappell
    Spouse - Sophia Mulchay- born 1855. Married: 20 Jul 1889 - St Johns, Bethnal Green
    Address at time of marriage: 458 Bethnal Green Road

Gave evidence at the Old Bailey.....

JOSEPH COATS, Theft housebreaking, 9th February 1891.
    JOSEPH COATS, Breaking and entering the dwelling-house of Alexander Robinson and another, and stealing thirty umbrellas and sunshades, their property.
    MR. D. J. LEWIS Prosecuted.
    ALEXANDER ROBINSON, JUN . I am in partnership with my father as umbrella manufacturers at 14, Aldersgate Street—on Saturday evening, January 31, the warehouse on the third floor was locked up safely—I had seen these umbrellas safe at 12.30 in the day, and missed them on Monday at 9 a.m.—a shutter on the third floor was knocked out, and there was an open space through which a man could get, but the door was not opened—I missed thirty umbrellas and five sunshades, value £7 or £8—I afterwards saw two of the umbrellas at the Police-station, Bethnal Green—the outer door was not open, they must have climbed over the ballusters—we have only four rooms, but there are other people down stairs who lock up—some person must have concealed himself on the stairs, and then he would not have to break the outer door to get in—the ground floor is a tobacconist's shop, which closes at 9 or 10 p.m., when the street door is closed—these two umbrellas are ours; they were safe on January 31st at 12.30, and missed on Monday morning.
    JOHN DABBS . I am an umbrella, finisher, in the employ of Messrs. Robinson—on 31st January I locked up the workshops, two rooms, about 1.20 in the day—these two umbrellas were then safe—I gave the key to Mr. Robinson—a board was fastened over the door where there ought to have been glass—on the Monday morning, at nine o'clock, I found the shutter was down—I went in and missed two and a half dozen of umbrellas and five sunshades—these are two of them—Mr. Robinson rents two rooms on the top and two underneath.
    FREDERICK HARRISSON . I am assistant to Phillips and Scones, pawnbrokers, of Bethnal Green—on Tuesday, February 3rd, about 7 p.m., the prisoner brought these two umbrellas, and asked for 10s. upon them—I had received a description the night before, and sent for a constable and charged him—he gave his name, George Bell.
    Cross-examined. I left the shop—you had time to get away if you liked.
    JAMES CHAPPLE (J 344). I was sent for to Messrs. Phillips and Scones, and took the prisoner—these two umbrellas were on the counter—I asked him where he got them—he said, "I bought them last night at the Princess Alice public-house, Commercial Street, and gave two half-crowns each for them. "
    SAMUEL LYTHEI . (City Detective Sergeant). On 3rd February I received a telegram at Bethnal Green Police-station, and saw the prisoner in custody—I was accompanied by Robinson and his brother, who identified these two umbrellas—I told the prisoner the charge—he made no reply—I said, "I shall further charge you with receiving the same, knowing them to be stolen"—he said, "I bought them of a man last night at the Princess Alice public-house, Commercial Street"—I said, "Do you know the man or his name?"—he said, "No; I never saw him before; I paid half a crown each for them"—he gave his address, 43, Commercial Road East—I found 10 1/2 d. on him.
    The prisoner, in his defence, said that he bought the umbrellas in the Princess Alice for 5s. each, and, being women's umbrellas, he pawned them, as they were of no use to him.
    NOT GUILTY .

Gave evidence at the Old Bailey - 
    JAMES FREEMAN, STEPHEN WEBB, Theft simple larceny, 10th September 1901.
    JAMES CHAPPELL (344 J). About 7 p.m. on August 21st I was in the Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green—Wilson spoke to me, and I went to Freeman, who was driving a pony and cart, on which was a log of walnut—I asked him where he had it from, and if he had any delivery note—he said, "No"—I asked him where he was going to take it—he said to the London Apprentice, Hoxton—I knew that was a public-house—he said, "Mr. Webb, of Temple Mills, asked me to put the pony in and take it and meet a Mr. Joyce outside the London Apprentice; he lives opposite me at Temple Mills"—I took him to the Police-station, and he was detained—he made no answer to the charge—I afterwards took him to the West Ham Police-station—I have made inquiries about him, and believe he is a respectable man.

Echo
    London, U.K.
    21 September 1888

EAST END MURDERS
    THE POLICEMEN'S NIGHT BEATS
    THE PRESENT PRECAUTIONS
    A Correspondent has obtained exact details of those police beats covering the area within which the Buck's row murder was committed. From this it will be seen that the murderer had no doubt a considerable time in which he was quite sure of being undisturbed by a police constable, assuming he knew the beats. It seems that, notwithstanding the frequent repetition of murders round Whitechapel, under circumstances leading to the conclusion that they were the work of one man, not one single extra police officer was put upon the ground until after the commission of the fourth and last murder. Then the streets were filled night and by by police in and out of uniform.

During the month of August, and up to the 8th instant, when Annie Chapman was killed, the following beats were covered by the men of the J Division quartered at Bethnal Green, these forming what is known as the "Second Section night duty." The first police constable would commence his two beats at Wilmot street, three Colt land, Cheshire street, Mape street, Bethnal Green road, to Wilmot street, and the interior, this consisting of a few streets, courts, passages, &c. The second constable would cover Three Colt lane, Collingwood street, Darling row, Dog row, Whitechapel road, Brady street, to Three Colt lane, and the interior, this consisting of about twenty streets, courts, passages, &c; the third constable would commence at Brady street, cover Whitechapel road, Baker's row, Thomas street, Queen Anne street, and Buck's row, to Brady street, and all the interior, this consisting of about ten streets, courts, passage, &c. The fourth constable would commence at Baker's row, go through Nottingham street, White street, Bethnal Green road, Mape street, London street, to Baker's row, and all the interior, consisting of about thirty streets, courts, passages, &c. The fifth and last man of the section would cover Whitechapel road alone, this making a total of nine beats for the five constables. The third beat was the one within the limit of which Mrs. Nicholl (sic) was murdered. The exterior of the beats are at least a mile in extent, and to this distance must be added the interiors.

Chappell medals 001.png

Hi,

Police Constable Edward Thomas Geer's act of bravery in stopping a runaway horse on the 24th of September in 1921.

At approximately 12.40pm on the 24th of September in 1921, the bridle came off a horse pulling a covered wagon which was loaded with ladders, causing the horse to bolt. The wagon was coming down the gradient in Grosvenor Road, opposite the London Council Pumping Station.

Police Constable Edward Geer immediately gave chase and was assisted by a passing civilian driving a motor cycle combination. Police Constable Edward Geer was in the side-car and with great difficulty they managed to overtake the runaway horse/wagon near Claverton Street and Police Constable Edward Geer made his first attempt to stop the runaway horse. He managed to seize the horses nostrils with one hand and the shaft with his other and sprang out of the side-car but unfortunately he was thrown to the ground and narrowly escaped being run over.

The chase was again renewed and again the Police Constable seized the horse's head and after being dragged for a distance of approximately 50 yards, he managed to bring the animal to a standstill.

Police Constable Edward Geer had been thrown to the ground and dragged twice and sustained injuries.

London Gazette 1/1/1923, reported Police Constable Edward Thomas Geer [Metropolitan Police] had been awarded the King's Police Medal for his brave actions in stopping a runaway horse.

Brave man, here is a summary of some additional information on him :-

[1] Edward Thomas Geer was born in Boughton, in the district of Faversham, in Kent, in 1897.

[2] Edward Thomas Geer from 17/6/18 to 30/7/19 was a soldier in the Canadian over-seas Expeditionary Force and reached the rank of Sergeant before being released. His occupation prior to joining the Canadian Army was recorded as being a chauffeur.

[3] Edward T Geer joined the Metropolitan Police on the 29th of March in 1921 and was assigned to Chelsea [Westminster] or 'B' division. PC Edward Geer was issued with the warrant number of 111636 and the collar number of B734.

[4]  On the 24th of September in 1921, PC Edward Geer was involved in bravely stopping a runaway horse pulling a covered wagon laden with ladders and so averted a disaster.

[5] In the Metropolitan Police Order, dated the 30th of November in 1921, PC Edward T Geer was awarded £10 for his courageous conduct in stopping a runaway horse.

[6] In the Metropolitan Police Order, dated 1st January in 1923 and in the London Gazette of the same date, PC Edward T Geer was awarded the, 'King's Police Medal,' for his courageous conduct and having sustained personal injury in stopping a runaway horse.

[7] In the Metropolitan Police Order, dated 7th July in 1923, PC Edward T Geer is awarded an, 'Honorary Certificate,' from the Carnegie Hero Fund Trust in respect to the incident that occurred on the 24/9/1921.

[8] On the 14th of April in 1938, PC Edward T Geer was awarded a, 'Commissioner's Commendation,' for vigilance and initiative in the case of shop breaking.

[9] On the 8th of August in 1940, PC Edward T Geer transfers to Hammersmith [Kensington] or 'T' division and his collar number changes to 437T and he is attached to station code number D.T.1.

[10] On the 6th of September in 1948, PC Edward Thomas Geer retires on pension from the Metropolitan Police and 'T' division after completing 27 years and 51 days service.

Here are some photo's, the photograph of the Carnegie 'Honorary Certificate' is a copy of what would original certificate would have looked like. The Carnegie organisation is located in Fife, Scotland.

SS856970 (2).JPG

SS856969 (2).JPG

SS856974 (2).JPG

SS856979 (2).JPG

Hi,

Somebody previously reading the Police Constable Jesse Barlow guarding Queen Victoria story asked me, ''what the family account of PC Jesse Barlow being only one of five Police Constables to guard Queen Victoria actually meant'' because there certainly was more Police Constables than that, in the Royal Household Police at Windsor Castle. 

The Royal Household Police at Windsor Castle were supplied by the Metropolitan Police and the personnel were taken from Whitehall or 'A' division.

These Royal secondments were classed as, 'Special Duties.'

The Royal Household Police at Windsor Castle were stationed there to secure and protect the precinct etc and there are quite a few newspaper reports of unstable individuals attempting to gain entry to meet the Queen Victoria, for one reason or another.

But within the Royal Household Police at Windsor Castle establishment, a smaller number of these Police Constables and Police Sergeants were also designated  as being, ''travelling Police Constables and travelling Police Sergeants'' and it is from this smaller group that the individuals would be selected to accompany Queen Victoria and the Royal Party to Osborne House or Balmoral Castle etc.

For example in the England Census of 1891, we can identify three of these travelling Police Constables which includes PC Jesse Barlow.

From newspaper reports, covering this period, it is possible to also identify some of the, 'travelling Police Sergeants.'

From another newspaper report, it was reported, that it was the Prince of Wales that requested the Royal Household Police of Windsor Castle should march in Queen Victoria's Funeral Parade from Osborne House. The travelling Police Constables including PC Jesse Barlow and travelling Police Sergeants were already there and on duty. 

This is a nice example how family stories can help guide the research, as previously I had never heard of these travelling Police Constables and travelling Police Sergeants.

SS856958 (2).JPG

SS856962 (2).JPG

SS856964 (2).JPG

SS856967 (2).JPG

Hi,

The murder of Police Constable Sidney George Miles in 1952.

This was a very famous murder and trial and in later years became quite a controversial subject but the following is a basic description of the events covering the incident. There are numerous sites on the internet where you can read up on the full history of this murder etc.

On the 2nd of November in 1952, Derek Bentley [19] and Christopher Craig [16] were breaking into the premises of Barlow and Parker who were wholesale confectioner's. The two youths were spotted on the warehouse roof and Police arrived at 9.25pm. There was a lift-room, on the flat warehouse roof and Bentley and Craig were hiding behind this structure. 

Basically, Detective Constable Frederick Fairfax climbed up a drainpipe and onto the flat roof and managed to grab Derek Bentley but the Detective Constable was then shot in the shoulder by Christopher Craig. Police Constable Sidney Miles entered the roof area via an internal staircase and when he kicked open the roof door and stepped onto the flat roof, he was fatally shot in the left temple. Bentley was heard to say, 'let him have it Chris' and these spoken words were to have a major impact on his sentence.

At the Old Bailey trial both Bentley and Craig were charged with the murder of Police Constable Sidney Miles, even although it was Christopher Craig that shot and killed the Policeman. Christopher Craig was only 16 years old and therefore could not be hanged for the murder.

The jury only took about 75 minutes to find both of the accused guilty of the murder and added a recommendation that mercy should be shown to Derek Bentley.

Christopher Craig was sentenced to be detained during Her Majesty's pleasure while Derek Bentley was sentenced to death.

Derek Bentley, aged 19, was hanged in Wandsworth at 9am on the 28th of January in 1953.

Christopher Craig was released from prison in May in 1963.

In 1998, the Court of Appeal quashed the murder conviction against Derek Bentley and heavily criticised the trial Judge.

The Defence medal and the Police Long Service and Good Conduct medal were awarded to Police Constable Bernard C. Beard. Police Constable Bernard Charles Beard [PC373Z, warrant number 131767] was responsible for the production of the scaled plans covering the murder scene. These scaled plans covered the different floor levels of the warehouse building and the surrounding area and were of a high quality and standard. The plans were also signed by the officer and are now part of the trial evidence which is held at the National Archives. Obviously, Police Constable Bernard Beard would have had intimate knowledge of the events on that fateful night so that he could produce effective plans which could be used by the Old Bailey Court.

The first photograph I have attached to this story, is that of 'Police Constable Sidney George Miles.'

SS857013 (2).JPG

SS856982 (2).JPG

SS857005 (2).JPG

SS857017 (2).JPG

SS856991 (2).JPG

SS856992 (2).JPG

SS857018 (2).JPG

Hi,

Chief Inspector Davey G. Greenough's Long Service and Good Conduct medal.

Davey George Greenough reached the rank of Detective Superintendent.

Davey George Greenough was born in Llanwrst, in Merionethshire, on the 14th of July in 1921.

Davey Greenough spent a decade in the Royal Air Force and then joined the Bristol Constabulary [also known as the Bristol City Police] on the 20th of October in 1950. 

On the 1st of April in 1974, the Bristol County Police merges to become the ''Avon and Somerset Police.''

Detective Superintendent Davey G. Greenough was involved in many cases but the most famous or historic..... was the following :-

The Jeremy Thorpe affair of the 1970's was a British political sex scandal and he was both a Member of Parliament for North Devon and the leader of the Liberal Party from 1967 to 1976. The ''Norman Scott affair'' actually covered a period over the 1960's and 1970's and involved  Jeremy Thorpe and Norman Scott's relationship and a badly planned conspiracy to murder Norman Scott. There are numerous sites on the internet where you can read up the whole story.

The trial started in May of 1979 and revolved around three main witnesses/defendants ie Norman Scott, Peter Bessell - a former parliamentary colleague and the hired gunman Andrew Newton. None of the witnesses were very impressive and Jeremy Thorpe refused to testify at the trial.

All four of the above defendants were acquitted but Jeremy Thorpe's political career never recovered from the damage done by the trial.

The two senior officers that were assigned to investigate this extremely high profile case, were Detective Chief Superintendent Michael Challes and his number two, Detective Superintendent Davey G. Greenough. They were interviewing individuals at the highest levels of society and there are various books that have been published about this story. 

There is one paragraph from ''Rinkagate'' by Simon Freeman with Barrie Penrose regarding Detective Superintendent Davey G. Greenough interviewing Sir Harold Wilson [Ex Prime Minister]  which you might find interesting. The interview was held on the 3rd of August, at Sir Harold Wilson's parliamentary offices in London. Davey Greenough was accompanied to this meeting by Peter Hinde his opposite number in the Metropolitan Police. 

''''''He [Harold Wilson] was very nervous. Perhaps even ex-prime ministers get like that when they are interviewed by policemen. Davey was the tightest bugger on this earth and used to roll his own cigarettes. He used to roll them as thin as matchsticks. We sat there interviewing an ex-prime minister and you'd think this would be the one occasion he wouldn't light up. But Davey rolled a sleek one and leaned over and said, 'Sir Harold have you got a light?'' Sir Harold lit it for him and said, 'By God that won't do your lungs any good.''''''

Oh how times have changed, hope you liked the story.

[I have added a photograph of Norman Scott]

Alan. 

SS857019 (2).JPG

SS857020 (2).JPG

SS857021 (2).JPG

SS857022 (2).JPG

SS857023 (2).JPG

SS857026 (2).JPG

Hi,

Imagine , it is just after midnight and the Public House is about to close. This is Wednesday the 24th of September in 1903.

Martha Jane Hardwick is a bright and cheerful 20 year old barmaid, employed at the Lord Nelson Public House at 299 Whitechapel Road. Martha is popular with all the customers.

Background...…………………….

The Landlady of the Lord Nelson is Mrs Hannah Starkey [nee Hardwick] who is a recent widow and is Martha Jane Hardwick's older sister. Their auntie is Martha Sophia Brayshaw and she also works in the Public House. They all reside on the premises.

There is one customer that persistently annoys Martha Jane Hardwick and he is Charles Jeremiah Stowe who is a 28 year old London Dock labourer. He is a regular at the Lord Nelson and repeatedly asks Martha to go out with him. Martha repeatedly refuses and makes every effort to steer clear of him.

The time is now 12.20am  [24th of September] and the Public House closes at 12.30am and Martha is collecting glasses and is clearing up. Charles Jeremiah Slowe presents himself just before closing time and catches Martha alone and stabs her twice in the chest which results in almost instant death.  

Charles Jeremiah Slowe then runs away from the Public House with Martha's sister [Hannah Starkey] running after him shouting at passers-by to stop him. Police Constable [416H] William Bowden seeing all the commotion arrests the prisoner. Police Constable [459J] Hubert Haddock witnesses the arrest and the party then returns to the Lord Nelson to find Martha Jane Hardwick dead. Police Constable [459J] Hubert Haddock is responsible for finding the murder weapon. Both Police Constables are major witnesses at the Old Bailey trial of Charles Jeremiah Slowe.

At 1.20am [September 24] John Bate the Divisional Surgeon was called to Bethnal Green Police Station and questioned the prisoner. Charles Jeremiah Slowe was found to be able to answer questions in a perfectly rational manner and was not drunk but appeared to have been drinking.

At his trial Charles Jeremiah Slowe was found guilty of the murder of Martha Jane Hardwick and sentenced to death. He was hanged at Pentonville Prison on the 10th of November in 1903. The hangman was William Billington.

It was report that Charles Jeremiah Slowe was perfectly unconcerned about his fate on the day of his execution. But I was guess when William Billington came to the condemned-man's-cell and strapped his arms to the side of his body and then walked him to the gallows, the reality of what awaited Charles Jeremiah Slowe would kick in.

Metropolitan Police Coronation medal for 1911 and awarded to ''PC H Haddock.''

Hubert John Haddock was born in Lydbrook, in Gloucestershire, in 1876.

Police Constable Hubert John Haddock. Warrant number 83385. Joined 22/11/1897 - PC- 'J' divn.  Died 8/7/1918 as a PC - 'J' divn. 

1902 and 1911 England Census records PC Hubert Haddock and family residing at 310 Corfield Street, in Bethnal Green.

Have included a newspaper sketch of Charles Jeremiah Slowe and some newspaper articles on the murder etc.

SS857031 (2).JPG

SS857045 (2).JPG

SS857033 (2).JPG

SS857043 (3).JPG

SS857041 (2).JPG

SS857035 (2).JPG

Hi,

This entry is for those that find the Jack the Ripper period interesting.

Police Constable George Burton Cox of Whitechapel or 'H' division...….. and then transferred within 'H' division, to the  C.I.D. on the 22nd of December in 1888.

George Burton Cox was born in Woolwich, in Kent, on the 14th of October in 1859.

George Burton Cox joined the Metropolitan Police on the 15th of March in 1880 and was assigned to Whitechapel or 'H' division and issued with the warrant number of 64394.

In 1887, Police Constable George Cox was on duty for Queen Victoria's Jubilee Parade through London and was therefore awarded the Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police Jubilee medal for 1887 whilst serving with Whitechapel or 'H' division.

Police Constable George B. Cox served in Whitechapel or 'H' division through-out the period relating to the infamous, 'Jack the Ripper murders,' in 1888. On the 22nd of December in 1888, Police Constable George B. Cox was transferred to the Whitechapel or 'H' division C.I.D. and this is also confirmed in the Police Order dated the 24th of December in 1888. Therefore Police Constable George Cox not only walked the street of Whitechapel in 1888 but would have also been involved in the investigations of the other murders that occurred between 1889 and 1890 and which also caused public apprehension, that Jack the Ripper might have returned.

George Cox's time serving in Whitechapel or 'H' division C.I.D. [22/12/1888 - 22/4/1890] must have been quite successful because on the 23rd of April in 1890 Police Constable George Cox was promoted to Police Sergeant [3rd Class] C.I.D. and transferred to Bethnal Green or 'J' division C.I.D. and he remained in this position until the 8th of July in 1896.

On the 9th of July in 1896 Detective Sergeant George Cox was transferred from Bethnal Green or 'J' division C.I.D. to Whitechapel or 'H' division C.I.D. and this is confirmed in the Police Order dated 10th of July in 1896.

On the 20th of May in 1897, Detective Sergeant George Cox [3rd Class] was promoted within the Whitechapel C.I.D. to Detective Sergeant [2nd Class] and he remained in this position until the 19th of May in 1897. This is again evidence that Police Sergeant George Cox was considered to be a good detective within Whitechapel or 'H' division C.I.D.

In 1897, Detective Sergeant George Cox is awarded the Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police clasp for 1897 whilst serving in Whitechapel or 'H' division C.I.D.

On the 4th of October in 1898, Police Sergeant George Cox [2nd Class] Whitechapel or 'H' division C.I.D. is transferred to Kilburn or '''X' division C.I.D. Police Order dated 5/10/1898 confirms this transfer. Police Sergeant George Cox remained in this position until the 16th of March in 1903.

In 1902, Police Sergeant George Cox is awarded the Metropolitan Police Coronation medal for 1902 whilst serving with Kilburn or 'X' division.

On the 17th of March in 1903, Police Sergeant George Cox [2nd Class] Kilburn or ''X' division C.I.D. is transferred to Greenwich or 'R' division C.I.D. and is reduced in rank to Police Sergeant [3rd Class]. Police Order dated the 18/3/1903 confirms the transfer and punishment. Obviously, something happened to cause this fall in his professional conduct but more research would be required to understand why his circumstances changed.

On the 14th of December in 1903, Police Sergeant George Cox [3rd Class] with Greenwich or 'R' division C.I.D.  is transferred to Islington or 'N' division and is reduced in rank to Police Constable  and given the collar number of 708N. In approximately 9 months George B. Cox has seen a considerable fall in his rank and reputation and so we can guess something is going wrong in his life.

On the 20th of March in 1905, Police Constable George B. Cox [708N] retires on pension from the Metropolitan Police. 

There are also a number of Old Bailey trails that he attended.

This was researched a number of years ago but I have always intended to go back one day and research it more and to try and understand why he fell so far and so quickly from grace especially when he was coming to the end of his career

SS857072 (2).JPG

SS857053 (2).JPG

SS857077 (2).JPG

SS857079 (2).JPG

SS857081 (2).JPG

SS857080 (2).JPG

SS857082 (2).JPG

Hi,

''The murder of Sophia Lovell on the 10th of September in 1906.''

Sophia Lovell was born in the Parish of Walworth St Mark, in the Borough of Southwark, on the 22nd of April in 1888. 

In 1906, Sophia was 18 years old and was single, as Sophia and her boyfriend Frederick Reynolds had broken up approximately 3 months before the murder. They had been walking out for approximately 18 months prior to the break-up. Frederick Reynolds had previously been employed as a builder's labourer with Henry Neale who was a local builder. Unfortunately, he became unemployed about the same time as he and Sophia parted company.

On the 10th of September in 1906, Sophia Lovell and her cousin Annie Bristow were in the Prince and Princess of Wales Public House, in Kingslake Street, in Walworth. Sophia was meeting with Henry Limbourne, a baker by trade and they had only recently met a few times. They all remained in the Public House from 8pm to approximately 9.30pm and after that Henry Limbourne started to walk Sophia home to her house in Weston Street. 

On the way home they met Frederick Reynolds and words were spoken and then Sophia and Henry Limbourne continued on their journey. They crossed over Greyhound Bridge and walked approximately 60 yards down Willow Walk when suddenly Frederick Reynolds struck Sophia Lovell several times on the back of the head and in her face and she fell to the ground. Frederick Reynolds then immediately attacked Sophia and cut her throat while she was dazed and on the ground. 

A scream and cries for help summoned two male passers-by and Frederick Reynolds ran off. Sophia Lovell died within a few minutes due to her loss of blood from the severe wounds to her throat.

Police Constable Oliver Langton became aware of the disturbance and on seeing Frederick Reynolds running from the scene, arrested the prisoner. Now in custody, he was then taken to Orange Road Police Station. Police Constable Oliver Langton noticed the blood on Frederick's right hand and sleeve. Frederick Reynolds admitted to Police Constable Oliver Langton what he had done to Sophia Lovell. Police Constable Oliver Langton was assigned the duty of looking after the prisoner during the night and again Frederick Reynolds admitted the attack Sophia Lovell.  Police Constable Oliver Langton repeated the information at the Old Bailey trial.

William James Lovell, a labourer who was Sophia's brother also confirmed to the court, that he had identified the body as being his sister. William James Lovell also confirmed that Sophia was 18 year old and was employed as a domestic servant.

Two other Metropolitan Police officers also gave evidence at the trial and to a lessor extent....Police Sergeant Arthur Goodenough [M divn] and Detective Inspector Alfred Nicholls [M divn].

At the trial at the Old Bailey on the 22nd of October in 1906, Frederick Reynolds, refused to be represented by council and called no witnesses and had nothing to say in his defence.

Frederick Reynolds was found guilty of the murder and was sentenced to death and was hanged on the 13th of November in 1906, at Wandsworth Prison, by Henry Pierrepoint.

Police Constable Oliver Langton. Joined 15/9/1890 - PC - 'M' divn. Retired on pension 26/1/1917 -PC - 'M' divn. ['M' is Southwark division.] Metropolitan Police Jubilee medal for 1897, Coronation medals for 1902 and 1911 awarded to PC Oliver Langton.

Alan. 

SS857110 (2).JPG

SS857108 (2).JPG

SS857117 (2).JPG

SS857116 (2).JPG

SS857122 (2).JPG

SS857119 (2).JPG

Hi,

''''Frank Baker knew many criminals and murderers and here is a couple of examples of these interesting characters, that were imprisoned, during his period of service.''''

Frank Baker was born in East Cowes, in Hampshire, in 1854 and his parents were Charles and Ann Baker.

In the England Census of 1871, Charles Baker is employed as a bricklayer and the family are residing at Whippingham, in Hampshire.

In the England Census of 1881, we find Frank Baker is employed as a Civil Guard at the Portland [Convict] Prison. A Civil Guard was below the rank of warden but if an individual showed that he possessed the necessary higher qualifications to become a warden, then they could progress in this way. They would have to have experience in effectively dealing with convicts and have the knowledge of the disciplines and procedures etc that were all part of the skills of being a warden.

This is exactly how Frank Baker advanced from being a Civil Guard, to finally becoming the Principle Warden at Portland Prison.

In the England Census of 1881, we also find that Michael Ostrog [47] was listed as being a convict at Portland Prison and was recorded as being a Surgeon. Michael Ostrog was a Russian born thief and con man, claiming to be a Count and had several aliases and disguises.  Michael Ostrog's physical description was 5 feet 11 inches tall, dark brown hair, grey eyes, often dressed in a semi-clerical suit, had a scar on his right thumb and on his right shin, had numerous flogging marks on his back and two large moles on his right shoulder, one on the back of his neck. He was described as a Russian, Russian Pole or a Polish Jew and had been admitted into various lunatic asylums during his life. In January of 1874, Michael Ostrog, was convicted of theft and given a harsh sentence of 10 years for his crime. We know he was in Portland Prison in 1881 and was released from there on the 28th of August in 1883. 

Meville Macnaghton had been involved in the hunt for Jack the Ripper with the Metropolitan Police between 1889 and 1891 and Sir Meville Macnaghton was also the Assistant Commissioner in the in the Metropolitan Police from 1903 to 1913.  Michael Ostrog was first mentioned as a Jack the Ripper suspect in the ''Macnaghton Memoranda of 1894'' which stated, ''Michael Ostrog, a mad Russian doctor and convict and unquestionable was a homicidal maniac. This man was said to have been habitually cruel to women and was known to have carried with him surgical knives and other instruments and who's whereabouts at the time of the Whitechapel murders could never be satisfactorily accounted for.'' Michael Ostrog was only really introduced to the public as a suspect much later and by 1994/95 a fuller account of his life was then available. This acknowledged that Michael Ostrog was basically a habitual criminal, spending a large part of his life in prisons or asylums and was really a more pitiful character.                                                                                                                                                                         Michael Davitt who was also listed as a convict in the England Census of 1881, at Portland Prison, aged 35, was recorded as a printer and from Ireland. He was a famous Irish Republican who whilst in prison wrote his ''Prison Diary'' and which was published in 1885 and spoke about his relationship with the famous Count Von Ostrog, the foreign-nobleman imposter who he found gentlemanly and agreeable. Michael Ostrog's command of English was faultless and he could converse in French, German and Italian and reputed to have a working knowledge in several other languages. He was well read in English literature and the two of them had many interesting conversations which helped pass the time in prison.

It is important to note that Michael Ostrog and Michael Davitt would have been classed as important and privileged convicts, within the Portland Prison. In Victorian times these convicts would have been given special treatment and all those that worked within that penal establishment would have known what this meant. Remember Michael Ostrog was also listed as a surgeon which would have been a rare occurrence.

Civil Guard/Warden Frank Baker would have understood the segregation and privileges that Michael Ostrog was allowed to have since he was classed with special convict status. Frank Baker was employed for several years during Michael Ostrog's imprisonment and therefore would have known this famous prisoner.

There was a famous newspaper report which stated that the Authorities knew the identity of Jack the Ripper and that he was serving a 20 year sentence in Portland Prison . It was agreed that this account related to Charles Grande. He was a criminal and also played the part of a private detective, hired by the Whitechapel Vigilante Committee to help investigate the Ripper murders. In approximately 1891, he was convicted of deception and forgery, for sending threatening letters to some high society ladies. If the report from the newspaper is true, this would be another famous criminal held at Portland Prison whilst Frank Baker was serving there.  

In the England Census of 1911, we find that Principle Warden [Portland Prison] Frank Baker is now 57 and recorded as being a ''H.M. Prisons Pensioner'' and he and his family are residing at 38 Victoria Road, St Peter's, in Portland.

In 1911, we find that retired Principle Warden [Portland Prison] Frank Baker is awarded the Imperial Service Medal for his services to H.M. Prison, at Portland.

Frank Baker dies in March of 1933.  

[Obviously, Frank Baker knew the above prisoners but it is impossible to know how well he did know them. Police, Prison Service....are directly connected and sister services] I have struggled typing this one so hopefully I have not made too many errors.

Alan.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

SS857130 (2).JPG

SS857134 (2).JPG

SS857142 (2).JPG

SS857145 (2).JPG

SS857150 (2).JPG

SS857147 (2).JPG

SS857139 (2).JPG

SS857140 (2).JPG

I don't think I'm being unreasonable when I say that Police LSGC's are pretty common and it's frustrating that they don't have the Bobbies force engraved on the rim.

So when you get one with it's box or paperwork it adds to the allure?

A few years back I manage to add just such an example to my collection. I'm not aware of any interesting or indeed famous cases that this chap might have been involved in. He clearly served during WW2 and I'm in no doubt that he did his bit as North Wales took a lot of bombs meant for Liverpool. It's also of interest that Prestatyn in North Wales was the only place in the UK to be bombed by the Regia Aeronautica.

Anyway I digress the point I'm trying to make is that this chaps LSGC on the face of it is nothing exciting, however, when it's looked at in a little more detail to me it does become a little more interesting and dare I say it rare.......

From the 1911 census there is a John HUGHES, born 10.02.1896, son of a Farmer, David and his Wife Jane living on a Farm at Meifod, Llanrhaido, Denbigh. He may also have served during WW1 and joined the Police on demob, but with a name like John HUGHES and no other information, I'm unlikely to ever be able to confirm that. That being said his medals are mounted on old ribbons and appear as he would have worn them, so if he did have any WW1 medals he doesn't appear to have claimed or mounted them? In the 1939 citizens register there is a Constable John HUGHES living on Anglesey with his Wife Ann Hughes Nee Jones at 23 Well Street, Amlech, Anglesey. This would suggest that he served on the island during WW2 and was part of the then Anglesy Constabulary. He may well have still been serving there when Anglesey Constabulary amalgamated with Gwynedd Constabulry. He may have been involved in the arrest/aftermath of the Murder of PC Pritchard in 1924. The evidence suggests that despite his common name there is only one John HUGHES who was a constable and fits the bill. 

http://british-police-history.uk/show_n ... &nav=alpha

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north- ... r-11218657

You will note that he has the Gv1R version of the medal and that he lid of the box says Gwynedd Constabulary.

Gwynedd Constabulary wasn't formed until 1950 and E11R became Queen in 1953. Which means that HUGHES medal must have been issued at some point during that 3 year period, I can't imagine there being that many Bobbies who qualified for their LSGC in Gwynedd Constabulary during those three years. I'm not suggesting that HUGHES medal is in anyway more valuable than anyone other Police LSGC, but I would suggest that it could be classed as rarer than your average one to me, anyway.......................

HUGHES 001.png

HUGHES 002.png

HUGHES 003.png

Edited by bigjarofwasps