News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello, 

I recently picked up a 1905 Canadian Service cap from Collector's Guild, and I have a question. It shows no signs of ever having a badge affixed, but looks worn to the crown. Were these ever worn without badges?

Thank you in advance.

C047276full.jpg

Not normally.  At the very least it should have been fitted with a General Service badge - the large maple leaf with 'CANADA' across the bottom - of which there were several variants.  More usually, it had a regimental/battalion or corps badge.  The only thing I can think of is that it was never issued to troops and the wear was acquired  by later owners.  A bit of a mystery.

Otherwise, it looks like a nice old original, complete, I think, with the remains of a broad arrow inside a 'C' in the crown in white paint/ink.

Canada.JPG

3rd battalion.JPG

Edited by peter monahan

Hi Gents

just a thought...

could it have been a pin back badge like this one below?

It would not have left a significant sign?

33B7A18C-DB59-4869-87B7-D2C6A00993CD.thumb.png.2ee7a220093bcc97aa3dbc20a47ef87e.png

this one is mine but I don’t know if it’s from that period or if even a cap badge.

just a thought.....

tony

8 hours ago, peter monahan said:

Not normally.  At the very least it should have been fitted with a General Service badge - the large maple leaf with 'CANADA' across the bottom - of which there were several variants.  More usually, it had a regimental/battalion or corps badge.  The only thing I can think of is that it was never issued to troops and the wear was acquired  by later owners.  A bit of a mystery.

Otherwise, it looks like a nice old original, complete, I think, with the remains of a broad arrow inside a 'C' in the crown in white paint/ink.

Canada.JPG

3rd battalion.JPG

Hi Paul, 

For what it's worth, your post reminded me of an image of the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles in Toronto in 1914.

Here is a link to the photo (held by Library and Archives Canada):

.item?app=fondsandcol&op=img&id=e0109322

You will notice most of the enlisted men are without any capbadges on their service caps. 

Cheers

Matt

Edited by SemperParatus

Top marks!

13 hours ago, SemperParatus said:

Hi Paul, 

For what it's worth, your post reminded me of an image of the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles in Toronto in 1914.

Here is a link to the photo (held by Library and Archives Canada):

.item?app=fondsandcol&op=img&id=e0109322

You will notice most of the enlisted men are without any capbadges on their service caps. 

Cheers

Matt

I would assume that the lack of cap badges - the 4th C.M.R. wore an odd/ugly one of a moose - was due to the early date on the photo and the fact that the unit was raised in November,1914.  Some units of the CEF had badges - some or all - made in the UK after arrival there.  And then promptly added them to their caps, of course, so how a cap could last the War without being badged is still a mystery to me, unless it belonged to someone who was invalided out [for example] from a newly raised unit like the 4th and he just kept the cap.  A real puzzle.