News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

NEED HELP: Can someone help identify this Italian WW2 Officer, based off of his Ribbon Bar

I saw this interesting Ribbon bar.  I know that the officer is a WW2 Italian Air Force Engineer Officer.

Ribbon Bar.jpg

I was able to identify the all of the ribbons:

ROW 1: Medal for Military Valor (Silver Star), Order of St. Maurice and St. Lazarus (3d Class Commander), Order of the Crown of Italy (Commander)

ROW 2:  Silver Officer's Service Cross (16 years), Order of Saint Joseph(Commander) ,Cross for Military Valor

ROW 3:  The Cross for War Merit, Commemorative Medal for Military Operations in East Africa (Ethiopia)[1935/36], 1940-43 Campaign Medal (3 stars = 3 years)

What I find interesting is that an Army Long Service Medal and a very rare Order of St. Joseph (Commander), which means he was knighted from Tuscany.

Can anyone help?  If this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

Edited by ostprussenmann_new
    spelling

Ostprussenmann , The Order of St Joseph ,was certainly a Order of the Great Duchy of Tuscany, In 1859 was supressed by the provisory government of Tuscany . But as the Order was Heraldic Patrimony of the House Of Habsburg lorraine Tuscany. continued to be conferred by Ferdinand IV Great Duke of Tuscany In exile ,until his death in 1908. Since 1971 a descendant of Ferdinand ,Gottfried, reconstituted the Order.

Suspect, given other Order grades, that St. Joseph type ribbon intended to represent Sovereign Order of Malta –   Ordine pro Merito Melitensi, Commander Cross with Swords OPMM-cX.svg.  See Orders of Knighthood, Awards and the Holy See, by H.E. Cardinale and Peter Bander-van Duren, 3rd ed. 1985.

Edited by 922F
    add image

15 hours ago, 922F said:

Suspect, given other Order grades, that St. Joseph type ribbon intended to represent Sovereign Order of Malta –   Ordine pro Merito Melitensi, Commander Cross with Swords OPMM-cX.svg.  See Orders of Knighthood, Awards and the Holy See, by H.E. Cardinale and Peter Bander-van Duren, 3rd ed. 1985.

Bayern, thanks for the information.  Do you think that the guy is researchable like I suspect?

19 hours ago, Bayern said:

Ostprussenmann , I think that 922f is in the correct path, the Order of Malta is a more suitable explanation.

Bayern, I looked up the award and it definitely looks to be correct.  I think 922f is defining right.  So I wonder if there is A role out there with Italian roles.  I tried looking for a rank list and could not find it. Do you know of a website out there that may have list of Italian WWii Generals out there?

thanks

• 2 years later...

2nd ribbon in ROW 2 is not Order of Saint Joseph(Commander) but Ordine coloniale della Stella d'Italia (Commander). Green colour is destroyed by time as in 1940-43 Campaign Medal ribbon.