News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help identifying an item please

This is an example of the British 'Home Service Helmet', modelled on the white sun helmets worn by British troops serving in hot climates.  These were used in the second half of the nineteenth century and, I think, in the ceremonial dress of some regimental bands and so on even today.  The badge is that of the 'Queen's Own Regiment'.  Here is a link to its history: http://queensregimentalassociation.org/queens-badge.html

No idea whether this is an original or a reproduction.  If you google 'home pattern helmet' you will find many examples of both for sale.  A very pretty piece!

Peter

Christopher,

You have a modern Helmet for probably a Drummer or Musician serving with the Princess of Wale's Royal Regiment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_of_Wales's_Royal_Regiment

From the images the top cruciform device and spike do not appear to be very well secured to the helmet and without looking at it I could not say if it was a genuine example or made up from parts.

Simon

Apologies Peter, obviously posted replies at the same time.

Simon.

On 29/10/2018 at 01:07, Bayern said:

What the photos shows is a British Army helmet , if you post more pics front ,side and rear I can help you

I had uploaded more but for some reason it hasn’t shown them. I’ll try again below

Thanks for the info so far! Does anyone know what this item could be worth? Even a ball park figure would be good to hear :)

Hello , I am not totally convinced that the helmet is a modern one . some of their details looks as oldtimer. the interior lining as example.but the badge not. and certainly the cruciform base of the spike appears to not fit well. regarding value , go to Ebay .under the entry Home service helmets for sale.

Thanks for the help so far everyone, i'm impressed with what i've learned! I have a couple of other items that I'd love some help on also if possible? will post on separate posts below :)

I believe this to be a Gurkha knife but am struggling to find the correct era it is from and also if the handle is ivory or not? it will unfortunately be spread over multiple posts due to the 2mb limit

DSCF0106.JPG

DSCF0108.JPG

DSCF0107.JPG

DSCF0113.JPG

DSCF0114.JPG

DSCF0110.JPG

DSCF0129.JPG

DSCF0130.JPG

Christopher,

I am by no means an expert regarding 3rd Reich daggers however the real examples that I have examined are of a much higher quality than the one shown in both quality of materials used and definition and construction. The hangers (straps) are not a of any pattern I have ever seen and again the quality is just not there.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and again it is only my opinion, as before if you post the images in the relevant German section of the Forum you will get a much more detailed answer, I'm sure.

Regards Simon.

On 04/11/2018 at 20:49, SillyOldGrandad said:

The Queen's Regiment 1966-1992.

Indeed. The helmet plate badge shows the Prince of Wales' badge of the Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge [57th & 77th] awarded to the 77th in 1810 and the Dragon badge of The Queen's Own Buffs (Royal West Kents)  [3rd, 50th & 97th], recognised as the "Ancient badge' of the 3rd Regiment (The Buffs) in 1747.

Both regiments, together with the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiments and  Royal Sussex Regiments were subsumed into the Queen's Regiment in 1966.