News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Heinrich Fritz Buschmann, Baltic Cross & Randow Cross

I am researching this soldier for his granddaughter and myself as I grew up with his son’s family. During the last week I have been on the Germany: Imperial: The Orders, Decirations and Medals of the Imperial German States forum as his granddaughter has some of his World War 1 medals. Most things I know and have learned are on that forum. In summary he served Germany in World War 1 including as a pilot, was in the Freikorps where he was awarded the Baltic Cross and Randow Cross, and was called up to serve in the Luftwaffe where he served as a transport aircraft pilot and progressed up the ranks to Major. He was reported as missing in action at the time of the Stalingrad airlift. I have applied to the Department Military Archives8659E972-4DAC-4C25-B303-8444B132DA43.thumb.jpeg.bc63add193d24c0f2cfd8b6d8dd00297.jpeg Das Bundesarchiv and Deutsche Dienststelle for any records held by these agencies. Would anyone on this forum be able to further assist me please including suggestions on further research I can conduct?

A picture is worth a thousand words. I suspect this was taken after he was called up to serve in the Luftwaffe.

763B5DD3-9E3E-4902-B7BB-B6B26ABBBF8F.jpeg

I'd like to see a better picture of the Randow Cross as I think it may not be a Randow Cross, but the Maltese Cross of the Russian West Army. They are very similar. But, the Russian West Army Cross is thicker in the middle and has a wider silver frame.

3 hours ago, bolewts58 said:

I'd like to see a better picture of the Randow Cross as I think it may not be a Randow Cross, but the Maltese Cross of the Russian West Army. They are very similar. But, the Russian West Army Cross is thicker in the middle and has a wider silver frame.

I trust this assists.

Kind regards

David

BC09DE26-D112-444B-AA8C-E485D8C92D65.jpeg

As I thought. This is quite a nice example of the Maltese Cross of the Russian West Army, which is much rarer than the Randow Cross. This is consistent with his Baltic service and much more interesting than if he had just been in Detachement von Randow.

Here's a picture of Pavel Bermondt-Avalov wearing the same cross.

Bermont-Avalov.jpg.de51aad1e32aee8a5195ed51ff4ea676.jpg

4 minutes ago, bolewts58 said:

As I thought. This is quite a nice example of the Maltese Cross of the Russian West Army, which is much rarer than the Randow Cross. This is consistent with his Baltic service and much more interesting than if he had just been in Detachement von Randow.

Here's a picture of Pavel Bermondt-Avalov wearing the same cross.

Bermont-Avalov.jpg.de51aad1e32aee8a5195ed51ff4ea676.jpg

Thank you very much. This research project is becoming more & more intriguing. Are you able to give me any background please on the basis of it being awarded to a German. Heinrich Buschmann was a pilot, could this be a clue?

Kind regards

David

Lots of Germans got this cross as they made up most of the Russian West Army. He possibly might have flown with one of the Freikorps Flieger Abteilung (FA 427 or 429) in The Russian West Army. But, as there are few records available except concerning which German air aces were in what Freikorps, I might only be able to find out his squadron, if I knew what unit he was in during WWI by doing some cross-referencing and a bit of detective work, which I'm happy to do. But, it's a long shot unless you have some paperwork.

Edited by bolewts58

9 hours ago, bolewts58 said:

Lots of Germans got this cross as they made up most of the Russian West Army. He possibly might have flown with one of the Freikorps Flieger Abteilung (FA 427 or 429) in The Russian West Army. But, as there are few records available except concerning which German air aces were in what Freikorps, I might only be able to find out his squadron, if I knew what unit he was in during WWI by doing some cross-referencing and a bit of detective work, which I'm happy to do. But, it's a long shot unless you have some paperwork.

Thank you, Do any of the ribbons in the attached photo match the award please?

8EB4C946-A294-43C1-ABFD-63D3A8974150.jpeg

3 hours ago, Destruction said:

The second from left is for Malteser/Awaloff cross (the one you show).

Yes, you're right. I initially thought it was just the Kyffhäuser-Denkmünze für 1914/18. But, the ribbon is not the same. But looking at it again it is correct for the Awaloff Cross. The last ribbon I believe is for the Gallipoli Star. The ribbon bar is upside down in the frame.

964850434_avaloffcrossribbon.jpg.df22170e1dcd34aa54059d2e91df0008.jpg1912418897_Gallipolistar.jpg.f80698caec9339f41136a6389b52d98e.jpg

Edited by bolewts58