News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1 hour ago, Matthew Macleod said:

Would you like to elaborate on that?

Sure,

1) I can't see the crown area very well, but there appears to be excess material around the ball and cross.

2) Strange filings on the tops of the crown's left fringe (leading to the ball and cross)

3) The airplane and landscape have course details.

4) The lower berry on the left side wreath is atypical.

Can you show us the reverse please?

Here's the verso. What do you mean by atypical lower berry? Can you show us a typical one?

Screen_Shot_2018-11-12_at_10_05.50_AM.png

Can we compare those coarse details with those on a real one?

Unfortunately it's my only Prussian Pilot so I can't do a side-by-side but if someone can link a real one, I'll do the rest.

Screen_Shot_2018-11-12_at_10_05.32_AM.png

Edited by Matthew Macleod

What do you mean by atypical lower berry? Can you show us a typical one?

-What I meant was that the lower berry in the landscape area is not found where this berry is found on most period badges. And on the badges that the lower berry is there, they have completely different overall constructions.

That back attachment is highly unusual.  Even when they did a screw back version the screw would be attached to the badge, not the badge as the "nut".

I attached a thread that will show two cliché' type badges for comparison purposes.  The photos have a terrible yellow cast but the details are there.  (scroll past the Bav. badge to post #23)

Which makers are you comparing in regards to that 'berry' you speak of? I ask because the link you used is of different maker badges so I am little confused as to how it could be of any use here?

As far as the attachments go- they had it both ways. And then some. Not to mention the fact they continued to produced those pieces for years after the end of WW1.

Also if you could point the coarse details in the comparison pic below, it would be of benefit to all of us here I think.

details.png

1 hour ago, Matthew Macleod said:

Which makers are you comparing in regards to that 'berry' you speak of? I ask because the link you used is of different maker badges so I am little confused as to how it could be of any use here?

As far as the attachments go- they had it both ways. And then some. Not to mention the fact they continued to produced those pieces for years after the end of WW1.

Also if you could point the coarse details in the comparison pic below, it would be of benefit to all of us here I think.

While I can appreciate that you want to understand for your knowledge's sake and for going forward when you examine other badges you find but I don't want to provide an online, pinpoint tutorial on how to identify "tells" for the fakers to make improvements.  This has occurred where the fakers have adjusted their construction.  These upgraded fakes look a lot better than the old fakes.  There are some great books out on imperial flight badges with the details on the multiple makers and their distinctive styles.  I can PM the list if you are interested. 

There's a lot about this badge I don't like. The detail is not there, I've never seen a cliché badge with a screw-back, excess material on the top of the badge, etc., etc. Unfortunately these badges are amongst the most faked Imperial German items around.

Most people believe any stamped badge to be an actual issue piece. The silver ones were most likely all private purchase.

I don't believe the stamped pieces were made post-war, other than by numerous fakers. There's no shortage of fake stamped Prussian pilot badges, observer badges and gunner badges,

Hope this Helps, Rick