News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Where is this picture currently hanging?

For some years now I have been trying to discover where this picture of Lt General John Tulloch CB (1790-1862), my husband’s great (x2) grandfather, is held.

I was wondering if anyone of the forum might know where the picture is currently, or might have been, displayed.  From the web sourced (sadly no attribution) picture it looks to be hanging on the wall of a stair well of some mess, club or institution. Does any one recognize it? 

As some background: General John served with the HIC Bengal army. He joined the Company as a Cadet in 1805, seeing service at the Capture of the Cape of Good Hope in 1806 on his way out to India. He was with Raffles in Java in 1811, the Maharatta War 1816-17, Arracan in 1825, commanded the troops quelling the Munity at Baiza Bel in 1835 and was with General Pollock in Afghanistan in 1842. During his career he served with the 10th, 22nd, 30th, 39th, 43rd, 51st, 52nd, 60th & 62nd Bengal NI and also with the Bengal Light Infantry. He was gazetted his CB when he was a Lt Colonel with the 60th Bengal NI in 1842. He went on half pay in 1850, returned to England and lived out his days in Dawson Place, Notting Hill. During his retirement he may have had some connection with 2nd Middlesex (South) Volunteers.

Most grateful to hear if anyone has ever seen this picture hanging on a wall and if so where. I would dearly love to make contact with who ever is looking after the picture now. We are not aware of it being with any of his current male descendants.

Many Thanks

Hilary

Lt General John Tulloch CB.jpg

• 3 years later...