News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ethiopia : Emperor's Bodyguard Long Service Badge

Hendrik

Hello !

The badge below has been described on commercial sites as a long service badge awarded to members of the Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie's bodyguard. Is there any truth in that and, if so, what number of service years would this light green coloured badge stand for ?

DSCN2598.thumb.JPG.03145ca4a6bb504abf8edc3ea9107dd7.JPG

Regards,

Hendrik

Hendrik,

The sequence of badges is as follows:

• 5 years - green
    • 10 years - yellow
    • 15 years  - red
    • 20 years - blue
    • 25 years - black
    • 30 years - orange

The text on each badge reads , "Number (in words) Years Service", e.g . "Twenty Years Service".

Weight varies slightly from 10.1 grams to 10.8 grams and the dimensions are 61mm x 28mm.

Regards,

Owain

• 4 months later...

Owain is absolutely correct. 

I sometimes offer them for sale as well as other Imperial Ethiopian items including insignia, orders, medals and table medals.

The main thing to keep in mind is that you want the enamel to be in perfect, unchipped condition, and you want the pin on the back to be present and work.

I've been blessed to be awarded Grand Officer of the order of the Star of Ethiopia for what they called my "decades of selfless work on behalf of the Selassie family, the nation of Ethiopia, and the Solomonic Dynasty".

Thank you all for your interest in Ethiopia.

Jim's business card for the archives.jpg

Jim's G.O.S.E. close up.jpg

Edited by Jah Jim