News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello and Holiday Greetings to all my friends on this forum,

I recently acquired this 3 medal bar and am looking for any opinions on it as well as help identifying the class of Baden Lion. 

Thank you for any opinions and assistance,

Vince

100_1250.JPG

100_1255.JPG

100_1306.JPG

100_1308.JPG

Andreas is much more expert and is very willing to help -- www.medalnet.net -- ask him.  The English name for this award is the Order of the Zähringer Lion (ZLO).

Older ZLOs may have punch marks on the extruded ring or loop at the top of the cross, which is broader than yours.  Some of that type may have marks on the ribbon suspension loop/ring [a split jump ring like yours] above the cross ring.  Most later pieces have a narrow top of cross ring [like yours] without any space for marks although some are reported with a mark on the lower cross arm edge.  Some badges have closed ribbon rings rather that split jump rings.    

Edited by 922F
    spelchek

32 minutes ago, VtwinVince said:

As I stated on the 'other forum', I'm not fond of this Schnalle, the ribbons appear very minty, the method of construction of the bar is weird, and I've never seen a OZL with a split ring suspension.

http://www.medalnet.net/Beauty_of_Old_Orders.htm

Here is the split ring, just FYI

I do not like the way the ribbons are sewn together  ! The lion order looks ok to me ? But I’m no expert ! I have owned a few original 2nd class knight pieces and I know they finely made .  Are there repos of this award being made now ?  Is it finely made ? 

The castle in the center does not seem to me like it should ? flash Washing  ? Can you get better pics of the enamel work ? 

Edited by scottplen

5 hours ago, scottplen said:

The castle in the center does not seem to me like it should ? flash Washing  ? Can you get better pics of the enamel work ? 

Difficult to photograph it, this is as good as I can do with my equipment. there are 2 small light wash marks to the top left of the castle but the rest is solid.

CASTLE.JPG

• 2 weeks later...