Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Sign in to follow this  
eurorders

French mid 1800s epaulettes?

Kindly tell me if these epaulettes are French, or another nation? I am thinking they were from the mid 1800s. Thanks in advance.. (also anything else known about them).. Please note the form and placement of hte eagles...

20180614_142134.jpg

Hello , I think that they are not French .

The eagles are in silver ?

Hello again ,The lack of the crown over the head of the eagle puzzled me . now i think are French Second Empire , but National Guard.

In my opinion they could be French made, however South/North  America High ranking Officer - a rank of general?

Usually the French Epaulettes do not have metal rims and like Bayern pointed out the eagles have crown over their heads

Second Empire French general Epaulettes look different. 

Any way it is a nice pair

Hello , Certainly US Navy model 1852 Epaulettes for Captains were very similar ,but the eagle was in silver and lacks on the field the anchors equally in silver . 

I am sorry that I did not see your replies til tonight. Here are closeups of the eagles, as you mentioned and also a separate metal eagle I found elsewhere whose general identify I do not know of. the epaulettes and metal eagle are unrelated but I still would be interested in knowing about each. Thanks, David  

P1020679.JPG

I had three images and it is only allowing me to send one photo attachment with this for some reason and I have resized the other two twice.  

The metal eagle I referred to is a separate item from the epaulette conversation or piece. 

P1020681.JPG

Hello , First, the epaulettes the most probably are US Army . dress epaulettes of a colonel . the eagle is in silver and looks to her right.from when ? Before the Civil war perhaps. Second ,the metallic eagle iis very like of that used during the second French Empire. Please, enter to search with the following: Aigle de giberne du second Empire.www.passionmilitaria com .ther you will find the pic of the eagle

I did find out that they are a) American b) colonel level and c) pore Civil War and d) at LEAST as early as the Mexican War.