News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all, I came across this image from Landesarchiv Baden-Wuerttemburg of a Louis von Wagner, doing searches reveals nothing about him except his more famous namesake, the composer, does anyone know if they were related to each other or just a name co-incidence, Louis certainly had a distinguished military career, if so does anyone have a brief bio on him?

thanks

regards

Alex K

Landesarchiv_Baden-Wuertte copy1000.JPG

Edited by Alex K

Dear Alex K

Just a name-coincedence, Wagner is a common name, and not the same as von Wagner (von Wagner indicates noble birth, whereas Wagner does not). The name Wagner is derived from wagenmaker, and there are dozens of people with this last name, from a New York senator, to German generals and officers in WW1 and WW2 to Polish actors. Wagner is a common name, and I don't think there is a personal connection.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Wagner is a german mass name like schmidt, Maier, Müller, Schulz and others...

Who is the guy in your avatar? I know that face but not his name.

Edited by ixhs

11 hours ago, Alex K said:

......if so does anyone have a brief bio on him?

Alex, 

here are a few career highlights

Andy

Ludwig Franz von Wagner-Frommenhausen  (*25.09.1828   †25.3.1917)

04.10.86                               zur Disposition gestellt

30.07.82-04.10.86             Kom. d. 27. (württ.) Kav. Brig.

12.07.73-30.07.82             Kom. d. württ. Ulan. R. 19

30.09.85                               Patent als Gen.Maj.  

21.05.84                               Gen.Maj. ohne Patent

18.06.79                               Patent als Oberst

03.03.79                               Oberst ohne Patent

04.03.76                               Oberstlt.

21.09.71                               Major

21.09.57                               Rittm.

20.09.52                               Prem.Lt.

10.04.48                               Sek.Lt.

We know that the photo was taken after 00.10.76 and before  his promotion to Gen.Maj. on 21.05.84 based on his uniform and awards

23.09.85                               PRAO2 awarded to him

00.10.76                               PRAO3 awarded to him

Hi Guys thanks for the comments and additional information on my mystery Wagner, which regiment does the uniform belong to its obviously a Uhlan regiment,?  

I agree ixhs your archive in Stuttgart has some really interesting images, I often have a detailed look

regards

Alex

Yes very good for us researchers - they took the most of the archive data outside of Stuttgart bevor  1944.

Especially i like the high detailed pics.

The most of M 707, 708 709 photos are saved on my PC - ...was a really hard work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are we in or are we out?:)  -  nearly every day when i read the newspapers i think: What the hell they are doing over there???

If they will not chance their minds, i think you`re out .. hard out.?

Edited by ixhs

4 hours ago, ixhs said:

Yes very good for us researchers - they took the most of the archive data outside of Stuttgart bevor  1944.

Especially i like the high detailed pics.

The most of M 707, 708 709 photos are saved on my PC - ...was a really hard work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are we in or are we out?:)  -  nearly every day when i read the newspapers i think: What the hell they are doing over there???

If they will not chance their minds, i think you`re out .. hard out.?

I honestly don't know myself now which way it will go, it seems at the moment, out, but still in somehow:wacky: