News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown class of the Portugese Military Order of Aviz

On 15/12/2018 at 13:04, paul wood said:

As a star only it should be 2nd class. However if he has omitted the sash badge it would be Grand Cordon the stats are identical in both classes.

Going stir crazy in St Thomas' hospitai.

Paul

I think the sash would be worn only on ceremonial occasions. This photo seems like an ordinary studio portrait. The Grand Cross would make sense since it says on the wiki: "Major Generals, Lieutenant Generals, Generals, Vice-Admirals and Admirals: Grand Cross."

If it was the 2nd Class (i.e. Grand Officer) I pressume he would also wear the badge of the Order on a necklet, but he clearly doesn't.

• 2 years later...

I have Schröder listed as "Kommandeurkreuz mit Stern". He may have received it as a Korvettenkapitän. 1910 the Order was halted by the provisional gouvernment but renewed 1917 after the republic was formed on 5 October 1910, but, and I am not sure, only until the 28 May 1926 coup d'état. I am not sure if António de Oliveira Salazar renewed the Order, but it is possible. If ou have found out any more information, please let me know.

Addition: I just read in Antonio M. Trigueiros / Gustav A. Tammann: The Three Portugese Military Orders of Knighthood 1789–1910 – A Guide for Collectors, 1997 that the Grand Officer and the Commander officially only received a star (Commander in silver instead of gold), although they sometimes wore the Officer Cross (in a larger version) around the neck, but this unofficially.

Edited by Deutschritter