News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Norwegian Plaquette

It is a plaquette with the Norwegian War Cross. It was made and sold by Samlerhuset a few years ago. You could in total buy 12 different plaquettes with different medals and orders of the world. I think the price was about NOK 500 (a little less than GBP 50). There were, as you have seen, made 5000 sets. The value in this condition is a lot less than the original price.

• 3 weeks later...

Samlerhuset is known for producing modern crap and trying to sell it as something to collect. There are many stories about elderly people starting a subscription on silver commemorative collectable coins monthly from Samlerhuset, each coin bought for anything up to GBP 100. After a while the elderly people will try to sell their "amazing" collection, thinking it has been a good investment. In one case a guy was hoping to get more than GBP 8 000, which was about what he paid. However, the true value was onle the silver melting price, which was about 10-20 % of what this poor guy paid.

Modern crap of this sort started in the mid 60s Churchill snd JFK commemoratives were amongst the earliest

Nowadays  ths Royal Mint is one of the worst offenders. I see moden commemorative gold or silver sets, appearing in auction.  Thd buyer removes all the packaging and throws in the bin and then departs for the melting house.

Paul