News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

Decided to take a break from Soviet for a bit and come back over here to Germany... or in this case the German states. :D

Here's one I picked up a number of years ago. I looooove enamel and this has it in droves. I also love gold and it's got the gold color so what's not to like? :lol:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Just a good looker! :love::love: Heavy as all get out too. And built like a brick battleship. I think I paid $100 and not positive of value now but think I've seen one go on Ebay for many times that.

Just one I couldn't resist when I saw it... kind of draws you in. :love::love:

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

The Griffin Order has always been one of my favorites. Beautiful design ? elegant in its lack of fussiness in my opinion.

Not sure of the statistics but considering the size of the Mecklenburg Duchies I imagine it is rather rare. Anyone have distribution stats for the various grades?

Hi Dan!

Everything looks good about your Steckkreuz! Constuction of the needle system on the bag, details of the Griffin (medallion), type of enamel, etc. :beer::love:

I have one (cased "Godet") for your comparison.

Ciao,

Claudio

Guest Rick Research

This class was given to Majors. I am still kicking myself for passing on the very last one I saw for sale 20+ years ago...

for $100 from Jack Sweetman in Florida in The Days Of Catalogs. :speechless:

Hey!!! That's MY Griffin!!!!! :P:beer:

[attachmentid=34526]

The Griffin Order has always been one of my favorites. Beautiful design – elegant in its lack of fussiness in my opinion.

Not sure of the statistics but considering the size of the Mecklenburg Duchies I imagine it is rather rare. Anyone have distribution stats for the various grades?

Ooooh, many compliments me gets on this one! :P Me like dis! :D

I absolutely could not agree more on the design. And the underlay beneath the enamel adds much to it I think... a design in and of itself in this instance. And there's just soooo much enamel to love. :love:

Would also love to know the stats. In fact I know next to nothing about it period. Just what I've seen on here in replies this morning has been an education. I think, value wise, the last one I saw on Ebay went for upwards of $800 some odd, but please, everyone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong... hopefully in the even more expensive direction! :rolleyes::lol:

Thanks so much for the compliments. My beauty also appreciates them. She's feeling very self satisfied and contented, purring away, which is the way I like's her. :D

Dan

Hi Dan!

Everything looks good about your Steckkreuz! Constuction of the needle system on the bag, details of the Griffin (medallion), type of enamel, etc. :beer::love:

I have one (cased "Godet") for your comparison.

Ciao,

Claudio

Hi Claudio,

Outstanding! :love: Now, I've got to ask... mine looks the same... so does this mean I have an honest to goodness, dare I even hope to think it much less say it... Godet in my collection? :D If so then I am truly in heaven at this moment as with all I've heard they're one of "the" makers for such things. And granted, I've always seen this as having excellent old world craftsmanship and being beautifully put together... but never dreamed it was a Godet. :jumping::jumping:

Now if only I could find a case even near as nice as your's as especially if she's a Godet she deserves that so much more than just a simple small riker mount. She's protected, but not in the style to which she's I'm sure accustomed.

Dare I ask... what would such a fine case cost? Daddy has got to start saving for his little girls future! :lol:

Thanks sooooo much for posting your's... you have literally made my day! :cheers:

Dan

Guest Rick Research

Then-Oberst and Commander of Hussar Regiment 9, the later-General der Kavallerie Maximilian von Hagenow (1844-1906) circa 1894

[attachmentid=34546]

Those are two very nice late WWI Godet pieces. Here the Rose made cross with the seperate griffin:

[attachmentid=34511]

Very, very nice! :love: Many thanks for posting her. One question though, you say "seperate griffin"... mine has a "medallion" with the griffin which seems to be a separately attached piece. Is this what you mean.

Just trying to make sure if I'm understanding correctly that mine is a Godet as again it looks identical to the cased example that was posted.

Sooooo much to learn! :P

Also does anyone know if there are any good references "in English" (I'm not fluent enough in other languages for an entire reference) about the Griffin Order? There's scant mention of it in the ones I have and I'm not even entirely sure what it was given for... shoot, I didn't even know this grade was only given to Majors! :blush:

Definitely would like to know all I can about this beautiful Order.

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Hi Dan,

When I bought mine it was in 2002 from Zeige's Auction and I paid around 730.- Euro with case including the commissions.

I totally agree; prices of such pieces are dramatically increasing. I remember also that years ago some of these orders didn't sell good, like the RK with Krone of this order, but lately they are fetching quite high prices. I know a German collector from a forum on the net in Germany he's has quite a beautiful collection of Mecklenburg medals (see thread: http://www.militaria-fundforum.de/thread.php?threadid=22043 ).

My Steckkreuz came with a note of the auctioneer:

Die Firma Godet bekam nach der Einf?hrung des Greifen-Orden im Grossherzogstum Mecklenburg-Strelitz sehr bald das alleinige Privileg als Hofjuwelier. W?hrend im Grossherzogstum Schwerin das Ehrenkreuz in gr?sserer St?ckzahl zur Verleihung kam, wurden nach Strelitz lediglich 55 Examplare geliefert, wobei auf die Firma Godet 40 Exemplare entfallen.

translation: The Godet company received quite immediately after the foundation of the Order of the Griffin the privilege to be the only Court Juweler in the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Because the fact that the Grand Duchy of Schwerin awarded more Honor Crosses of this order (also because this order was the primary order of the Grand Duchy of Schwerin), only 55 pieces were delivered to the Grand Duchy of Strelitz, of which 40 were produced by Godet. (hopefully the translation is correct...) :blush:;)

I don't know if somebody can have some documents to proof this statement... interesting nonetheless!

Ciao,

Claudio

Hi Rick,

Wanted to thank you both for the "Major's only" piece of info as well as the beautiful picture and info on that recipient. Thanks for posting that. I've "never" seen one in wear. :love::cheers:

Again would love to know more about it if you could recommend any references in English that would help. Everything I have is sooo sketchy on this one.

Mucho thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

Hi Claudio,

Many thanks for that very interesting info on these. I'm simply dying for more info since I've been starved for it since getting this piece. This was not one I sought out... I kinda fell into my lap very unexpectedly and boy am I ever glad it did! :jumping::jumping::D

And very much appreciate the additional picture of it being worn. This place RULES! :rock on:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

Hello Boys,

Here is my version.....

Interesting difference between this one and the others posted.. mine has rivits in each arm to attach the enamaled pieces.

No maker mark... and Griffin is one peice...

Any idea ofthe maker....

• 1 year later...

mekas.jpg Hello,

Need help to find out is this star original or copy.

I never had a star like this in my hands, maybe somebody is more familiar to the order of Griffin.

How many stars were awarded and what is a reasonable price to pay for this.

Thanks,

pluribusmek.jpgmeka.jpg

Edited by pluribus

• 1 month later...

seeheld,

Thanks. I don`t have it yet but would like to buy. What do you think, how much would be a reasonable price to pay for the star?

pluribus

I'll pay for an early Star like this 2500-2600,- Euro. But yours is chiped?

Seeheld