News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbian Orthodox Church orders

Those are two sole orders of Serbian Orthodox Church in my collection.

The one in blue case is Order of Saint Sava III class, and the one in red is Order of Saint king Milutin of Serbia ( the sole class order).

Order of Saint Sava was instituted in 1985 and was divided in to three classes ( the easiest way to recognize classes is by color: I-white; II-red; III-blue).

It was the only order of Serbian Orthodox Church until 2009, when the others (6) were created. In later years some new were found as well on the local level (on the episcopal level). Those initial six are covering different fields (Church-state cooperations, self sacrifice, humanitarian work, achievements in culture, etc).

The Order of Saint King Milutin of Serbia is established for church founders (ktitor), and those who helped in rebuilding churches and monasteries.

Those two orders were given to the same person  in 2010s and were followed by gramatas (documents signed by the Patriarch)

3E018235-0EEE-41CF-AD70-38165C713E09.jpeg

67286BA7-0971-45E4-8137-831201B88E7A.jpeg

F7EABAE5-43A3-4C20-B07D-14A81B5C3A81.jpeg

BC420497-2EC1-4081-8C19-57860311D3EA.jpeg

5E69647E-F443-45E3-AE80-88EF020CC7EE.jpeg

FA4EFD52-A23F-4575-9CF7-0D3E86DC7C1B.jpeg

I am laughing as I am just reading about him and Cromwell in Rutherford ,,Sarum” and the battle of Naseby.

I will post some pictures of both gramatas. it looks maybe strange, but the Order of Saint Sava comes first in the Serbian Orthodox Church hierarchy. The difference in appearance is rather strange.

Was the 1882 founded St Sava awarded during the Kingdom in exile? If so presumedly up to the latter part of the last century. Why I wonder was the Order not revived by the present Serb government as a national order?

Paul 

Paul, 

Peter II awarded Royal Yugoslav Orders in exile up to October, 1970, the month before his death.  Often he used third class St. Savas but granted Orders of the Crown, White Eagle and Star of Karageorge up to Grand Cross grade as well.  Reportedly Peter II awarded the Order of Saint Prince Lazar to his son Alexander, Crown Prince of Yugoslavia, in 1963.   Peter created several distinctions in exile including the well-known Royal War Cross 1941-45 and a Knight Bachelor honor.   Possibly he instituted other awards.

Crown Prince Alexander may have bestowed the Order of Saint Prince Lazar upon his son Peter, Hereditary Prince of Yugoslavia in 1997/8.

Alexander currently awards the Orders of St. Sava, White Eagle and Star of Karageorge.  Press releases announce and a ‘Royal Gazette’ publishes such accolades.  I have no information on Alexander’s use of the Order of the Crown, the Knight Bachelor title & insignia or the Royal War Cross 1941-45.