News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Best Magnification for Jeweler's Loupe for Medals Use ?

Good Morning Gents,  I'm not at all certain as to where this Post should go, so please excuse me if I'm not where I should be. I'm attempting to decipher the U.K. Hallmarks on an M.B.E., & I 'vs only been able to confirm the 'top'' mkg on the stack of four [4]. In fact, even that one was difficult with my magnifying glass, but the following three [3] are somewhat more difficult. ( Note that the 1st stamp, appears to be 'SG' ) What's the best magnification for a Jeweler's Loupe to use for this particular purpose ? I've priced them online, & they don't appear to be very expensive at all. ( Of course, you get what you pay for, right ? ) Any advice here will be very much appreciated. THANK YOU, & Happy Holidays to all here !

Best regards,   dpast32  /  dpast32@aol.com

Hello Paul, THANKS much for your reply. This may sound somewhat naive, but in the context of an M.B.E., what would 'Silver Gilt' imply ? I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that don't ?? Also, I thought the the Mfgr's stamp was usually the 1st mkg found on the 'stack' ?

Best,   dpast32

THANKS Paul !! I feel much better now. I kind of thought that the 1st mkg was supposed to be a manufacturer's, or sponsor's mark, as per the 1973 dated official U.K. document. Now. I've just got to dig up some data on Garrands, & that should at least give an idea as to relative date of mfg. It is an M.B.E. for certain, as I have all the relevant L.G. awards data. I've been collecting medals & awards for many years now, but this is my 1st M.B.E., which was recently purchased just by chance. I've been out of British stuff for years now, but deep down it's always been my 1st love ! THANKS again, the 'mind's continues.

Best,  Dom Pastore Jr.  /  dpast32@aol.com

Dom,

Some MBEs, can be exceptionally interesting especially  WWI. Often the senior figure in a bombing rescue would receive the MBE while the others received George Medals or BEMs as the MBE was considered the superior award but commercially it is the least valued. I personally  I like Merchant Navy BEMs for rescuing crews from U boat sinkings.

Paul

Sorry I meant WW2 MBEs