dksck

Querriegel ?? All explanations and definitions appreciated

Hello again folks: 
I have run across another word that I really don't understand.  In this case the word is "Querriegel".  Its in an account of the fight north and east of Ypres in late July 1917.  The author uses the word several times as though anyone would know what it means.  From the context of the sentences, it appears to be either a single place or some sort of defensive structure that was to be found at more than one place in the landscape.  I've pretty much exhausted the internet searching for possibilites and have found explanations ranging from the single word "crossbar" to more complex explanations about it referring to "a wooden crossbeam on a gate of a canal or sluse lock."  As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.  Most gratefully yours -- Steve 

Hello!

In a german-english military dictionary from 1943 stands:

Querriegel = Thwart (used in engeneer-matters)

I don´t know, if it helps...

Edited by The Prussian

My understanding is that it is a position/Trench that is perpendicular to the rest of the defensive positions... so if the refensive position runs north to south, the querriegel would be off at an angle...