Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Sign in to follow this  
laurentius

Fakes/copies of the bavarian Military Max Joseph-order

Dear fellow collectors

Recently, after seeing a few examples of the MMJO on WAF I wondered, have there been attempts to fake, or copy the bavarian Military Max Joseph-order? There are a lot of fakes when it comes to high-end orders (fake PLM's and the Oldenburg fakes come to mind) but I can't recall ever seeing a fake MMJO? Are there fakes out there, and if there are, is there info and are there pictures of those?

Kind regards and thanks in advance, Laurentius

Uncle Ernst certainly manufactured a few with the aid of his skilled South Asian workforce. Around 25 years ago Spinj sold the Alexander Patterson collection of German orders. All  of which, barring  a couple of pieces were the handiwork of Ernst Blass. I spent two whole  days viewing it. If only Spink had done detailed photos of the collection. I for one would have paid a princely sum for such a publication. Ifit was worth faking then Blass would make it. 99.99% of all German orders with Garter surround were of his handiwork. He started his artistic works in the 70s and succeeded in infiltrating  many dealers, auction houses, some with connivance  others through ignorance and into a large number of collections to the point where it almost destroyed the German market. If someone could produce a catalogue raisonee of his handiwork it would be worth its weight in gold.

Paul

I agree, I study of reproduction orders and decorations would be great.post war wearing copies, museum replicas, fakes, etc.

What he said, the fakes of Blass were frequently in evidence with such dealers as Graf Klenau back in the day. These things are of very high quality, and need to be catalogued in their own right. Regarding the MMJO, I have seen a few wearer's copies over the years. They are usually gilded bronze and lack the quality of award pieces.

On 07/01/2019 at 03:52, laurentius said:

Dear fellow collectors

Recently, after seeing a few examples of the MMJO on WAF I wondered, have there been attempts to fake, or copy the bavarian Military Max Joseph-order? There are a lot of fakes when it comes to high-end orders (fake PLM's and the Oldenburg fakes come to mind) but I can't recall ever seeing a fake MMJO? Are there fakes out there, and if there are, is there info and are there pictures of those?

Kind regards and thanks in advance, Laurentius

420795977_psb(2).jpg.22641b53bc892e2eeb45cbebb32564cf.jpg2142205857_psb(3).jpg.ff5333b7c2ef327b7cb2f64d1cb85168.jpgpsb.png.f45204ef8a45c729af15e0b72636a711.png

I have seen this auction. . I actually want to send it to you by email. . Because I feel that you Europeans are always too concerned about "copyright" but I don't find the button that sent you, my English is very bad.